Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife's G4 just had the battery light come on again after 2 years.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Naaaaah. It's to cover what may be laying on the floor below, in an attempt to prevent theft. Because thieves look for opportunities...

If it helps with the cooling somewhat (meh maybe), that's just a side benefit.
    Yes its a theft deterrent as well. as if the poverty look wasn't enough.

please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    True. My Lexus refrigerant capacity is 750 ± 50 grams. The Mirage refrigerant is 270 grams. So, roughly the Lexus has 3X the capacity. And it means exactly as you say, small changes will effect the Mirage system ... 3X as much.

Last summer I evacuated my Lexus system and refilled it. I sweated it a bit, because I didn't really want to disturb the system (it had NEVER been touched). It was working ok, seemed just a tidge weak. When I was refilling it, I kept my eye on the dryer window (I don't believe the Mirage has a dryer window). And the window stayed all foggy / bubbly ... and the compressor continued to cycle, until about the time I hit 700 grams.

Finally the window cleared up and the compressor quit cycling and I let out a sigh of relief. I do know what I'm doing, but I always doubt myself. I was doing it sort of old school, manifold gauges and setting the refrigerant cans on a small digital scale (and writing sh1t down to be precise). I filled it to about 780 grams (from memory). So even if it leaks a bit, it will perform well for quite a while. I should recheck the window, just to make sure it is still running clear.

Now get this! My truck's refrigerant capacity is 904 grams ... and it probably has less interior volume than the Mirage. Well, it's probably on par. A little more height based volume in the cab, and more width, but the Mirage has the hatch area. So, they're probably close. But 3.3 times as much refrigerant capacity.

All this long winded reply to say, the Mirage system needs to be serviced correctly in order to maintain effectiveness. Does this make me like the Mirage less? Nope. I think it might make me like it even more. It is costs roughly a third of what the Lexus would cost for me to recharge it!
    Yeah once it gets over 90° the Mirage HVAC system is struggling driving around town. I imagine it's better on the highway?

The G4's HVAC is getting repaired as we speak, I'm looking at $500 in OEM parts and labor because once again, there's no aftermarket available at Napa or AutoZone.

Our apartment HVAC is struggling to cope too. We got it set at 70° but in this heat, it's not going under 75° even at night.

I cant imagine what the avg June Atlanta temperature will be by year 2100. It'll be hell on earth and I'd be lying if I didn't admit I'm glad I'll be long dead before I would see it.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Update:

Wife called me, I'm out of town right now, said when she picked up the G4, it was still blowing much warmer at idle. This is after everything was supposedly fixed. I'm getting fed up. What could they be doing wrong?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    They *could be doing nothing wrong. Well ... what they actually are doing wrong is not getting to the root cause of the issue or, not letting you know what the root cause of the issue is. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't know what the problem is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    They *could be doing nothing wrong. Well ... what they actually are doing wrong is not getting to the root cause of the issue or, not letting you know what the root cause of the issue is. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't know what the problem is.
    7miles, Carmax offered me $9800 for it, a 2017 ES CVT G4 with 60k miles. We paid $10k for it 3.5 years ago. I'm concerned if the CarMax tech will noticed it blowing warmer at idle and that eating into what I was offered.

What do you think? They notice or not?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I'm dropping it off again today. Will update.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I have no experience with Carmax. If you're going to let them look at it, try first thing in the morning. It should be less noticeable then.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-20-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does the compressor "short cycle" at idle or does it stay engaged?
    These are the conditions the compressor should stay powered by the relay.

Name:  mirage ac clutch relay on.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  96.8 KB
    Last edited by Christopher_B; 06-21-2022 at 03:32 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    7miles, Carmax offered me $9800 for it, a 2017 ES CVT G4 with 60k miles. We paid $10k for it 3.5 years ago. I'm concerned if the CarMax tech will noticed it blowing warmer at idle and that eating into what I was offered.

What do you think? They notice or not?
    Dirk - I am really sorry to hear that you are still having A/C issues with the G4. I don't blame you for being frustrated about it. I hate having to take something back for repairs multiple times, too!

Given what you have invested into the G4 recently, I think the decision about the $9,800 Carmax offer has already been made. Hopefully, the root of your current problem will be solved and the G4 will continue to serve you well for years to come.

We are living through some very strange times. I recently shared how someone was offered $15,000 for a brand new Ram pickup truck by the dealer, & he hasn't even received it yet. He agreed to pay $85,000 to order it, and they want to give him $15,000 to not take it (making it a $100,000 truck before it's even been delivered to him). Which means they have a buyer who's willing to pay a lot more! That's quite different than huge incentives being needed to move pickup trucks off lots not all that long ago.

Likewise, you won't find a great deal on a Mirage or G4 these days. If you can get the problems sorted out, I would enjoy a vehicle that's paid off these days. Having constant issues, however, is not fun either! I feel your pain!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    Does the compressor "short cycle" at idle or does it stay engaged?
    These are the conditions the compressor should stay powered by the relay.

Name:  mirage ac clutch relay on.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  96.8 KB
    It varies. I just drove it back. At some lights it idles and I can't hear the loud compressor kick on, at others it kicks on and is blowing slightly cooler air than before.

We're fed up at this point. My trusted shop said they drove it around on doing errands all day and it feels fine to them. They said it's just a combination of this brutally hot weather we're having and our Mirage's unusually small engine not having the power output to deal with extreme heat at idle. I think this is bull$hit personally, they just can't figure it out! I wonder if this is at all connected to all the electrical work we've had done on it these last couple of weeks?

The good news is there's no idiot lights on and the AC blows ice cold when I'm moving so that's just going to have to do for now. I'll drive the G4 and my wife will drive the new hatch. I can't have her sitting in traffic, in a hot car.

We're just going to just keep driving it as is and hope we can get another 100k miles out of her. Getting a new G4 is in our budget but if we can avoid it, we will. If another electrical or HVAC issue pops up then were dumping it at Carmax, taking their check and driving to the country Mitsubishi dealer, out in the middle of now where, that still has 27 G4s for sale and buying another one straight out.