Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife's G4 just had the battery light come on again after 2 years.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Dirk - I am really sorry to hear that you are still having A/C issues with the G4. I don't blame you for being frustrated about it. I hate having to take something back for repairs multiple times, too!

Given what you have invested into the G4 recently, I think the decision about the $9,800 Carmax offer has already been made. Hopefully, the root of your current problem will be solved and the G4 will continue to serve you well for years to come.

We are living through some very strange times. I recently shared how someone was offered $15,000 for a brand new Ram pickup truck by the dealer, & he hasn't even received it yet. He agreed to pay $85,000 to order it, and they want to give him $15,000 to not take it (making it a $100,000 truck before it's even been delivered to him). Which means they have a buyer who's willing to pay a lot more! That's quite different than huge incentives being needed to move pickup trucks off lots not all that long ago.

Likewise, you won't find a great deal on a Mirage or G4 these days. If you can get the problems sorted out, I would enjoy a vehicle that's paid off these days. Having constant issues, however, is not fun either! I feel your pain!
    Yea I think I got the biggest Mirage lemon on this site, it could be a whole lot worse but I'm still, over all, disappointed.

I think you got the worst mechanic lol
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (06-22-2022),Basic (06-21-2022),Dirk Diggler (06-21-2022),Mark (06-21-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Yea I think I got the biggest Mirage lemon on this site, it could be a whole lot worse but I'm still, over all, disappointed.
    The dealer not disclosing that the engine had been replaced prior to you purchasing the car is where the disappointment begins, and some of these issues could be related to that. It created some issues with your small pipes (crushed) going through the firewall (connecting your engine bay to your heater core). Could a freon leak be related to the installation of a replacement engine, too? It's possible!

Some of these lemon issues may be a result of shoddy work being done to your Mirage in the past, and your current mechanic is not helping the situation. I don't blame you for being discouraged! Hang in there & hope for the best!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (06-22-2022),Dirk Diggler (06-21-2022),Fummins (06-21-2022),inuvik (06-21-2022)

Good points. I can relate to dealing with a janky engine install. The previous owner of my truck replaced the engine years before selling it, there were no obvious apprentice marks initially but over time the random parts of the wiring harness were kinked, cracking the insulation then corroding until they started causing problems. That was a pita to track down, I owned the thing for 5 or 6 years and am still having random wiring problems because of that install. Over time I found it just easier to run new wires instead of trying to trace exactly where one is broken...Dealing with other peoples previous janky work is a pita.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (06-22-2022),Dirk Diggler (06-21-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I thought it was normal for the A/C to cycle on/off/on, etc.
    Mine comes on for about 20 seconds, off for 20 seconds, on for 20 seconds and so on. It has been doing that since day one and that was 8 years ago.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-22-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    They said it's just a combination of this brutally hot weather we're having and our Mirage's unusually small engine not having the power output to deal with extreme heat at idle. I think this is bull$hit personally, they just can't figure it out! I wonder if this is at all connected to all the electrical work we've had done on it these last couple of weeks?
    You'd be correct. What you're being told is BS, and you are also correct, they can't figure it out. I doubt it is related to the electrical work, but I could be wrong on that.

My guess is that it is leaking back from the engine replacement work, and whatever leak that was initiated back then has slowly gotten worse. Your repair shop should have evacuated it to start with, and then refilled it with refrigerant with leak dye. Then the leak could be detected, and now your decision would be more simple. To pay the money to fix the leak or dump it.

If you get to the point where it is no longer cooling effectively, and you want to try a Hail Mary before dumping, I will be glad to recharge it correctly. No charge of course, we're Mirage buddies. What we'd do is pull a vacuum and drink a beer, judge the leak while drinking another beer, recharge it with refrigerant with leak dye while drinking more beer. Then you can drive it for a while (you know a couple weeks) and take it to a shop and let them shine a blue light (or whatever it is) at it, and you guys can discuss what to do about whatever leak that is found. You'd just have to buy refrigerant with leak dye is all, for the Hail Mary. That's like maybe $20 or so for our Mirage. And tolerate hanging around a dude that looks like Shrek and smells twice as bad.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Basic (06-22-2022),Dirk Diggler (06-23-2022),Fummins (06-22-2022),inuvik (06-22-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here is what AllData says. It looks like OE info. Not sure if the shop did this kind of performance tests. I read somewhere that 20 degrees cooler than ambient air was considered normal but these charts shows up to 15 degrees less can be considered acceptable. I wonder what your shop considers normal. I would have gotten two thermometers and made them idle my car next to one of theirs.

Name:  Mirage G4 AC PT1.PNG
Views: 426
Size:  77.4 KB
    Name:  Mirage G4 AC PT2.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  95.2 KB
    Name:  Mirage G4 AC PT3.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  93.0 KB
    Last edited by Christopher_B; 06-22-2022 at 10:00 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christopher_B For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-23-2022),Fummins (06-23-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I could not figure out why in the hell you would test the system with all the doors open. After reading the procedure I see they want you to measure the temp as it enters the HVAC box and then comes out. This does seem like it would give you the best way to quantify the performance. This also seems like something anyone could do with a set of gauges and thermometers. I do not know where you get a wet and dry bulb set however and would have to read more about those.

I am very curious to know how this pans out.
    Last edited by Christopher_B; 06-22-2022 at 09:57 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher_B For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-23-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    I could not figure out why in the hell you would test the system with all the doors open. After reading the procedure I see they want you to measure the temp as it enters the HVAC box and then comes out. This does seem like it would give you the best way to quantify the performance. This also seems like something anyone could do with a set of gauges and thermometers. I do not know where you get a wet and dry bulb set however and would have to read more about those.

I am very curious to know how this pans out.
    It'll pan out with us ditching the G4 it's looking like if it keeps messing up.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Right back to square one. It might be the engine replacement did this AC in.

When car is in motion, park, or neutral I can hear it cycle on and the cabin is cooling off.

When idling in drive with my foot on the brake, it starts to blow much warmer air.

My mechanic has given up at this point.

What in the world could produce these conditions?