Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife's G4 just had the battery light come on again after 2 years.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Wife's G4 just had the battery light come on again after 2 years.

I hope this isn't a need for a new alternator. There's no aftermarkets available at any of the big parts store so that means I'll have to take it to a dealer. It's $1000 just for the alternator at Mitsubishi.

We had the same issue with corroded battery cables 2 years ago flashing the battery light while it was driving. No issues until today. I'm hoping it's something simple like it needs a new battery. I did drop a new cheap battery in it 2 years ago.

My buddy has a code reader so I'll post what we find tonight in a few hours.

You think I should check to see if the brake lights are out when she gets back home?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

mohammad (05-19-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I hope this isn't a need for a new alternator. There's no aftermarkets available at any of the big parts store so that means I'll have to take it to a dealer. It's $1000 just for the alternator at Mitsubishi.

We had the same issue with corroded battery cables 2 years ago flashing the battery light while it was driving. No issues until today. I'm hoping it's something simple like it needs a new battery. I did drop a new cheap battery in it 2 years ago.

My buddy has a code reader so I'll post what we find tonight in a few hours.

You think I should check to see if the brake lights are out when she gets back home?
    Ask your buddy ( or Autozone) to check the charging voltage at the battery with the car running and accessories off. Should give you an idea what alternator is doing. Autozone will check your battery for free, too.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-19-2022),Fummins (05-19-2022)

I don't believe brake lights would have anything to do with the battery light.

The battery light will come on for two reasons. It's either overcharging or not charging at all. If it isn't charging, it'll keep running until the battery dies then you're scewed. My first guess would be the common broken wire but you should check other things first...

First and easiest thing to check is make sure you still have a belt... If you're belt broke, you're gonna have a bad time.

If you still have a belt, the next thing I'd do is finger out if you're battery is being charged or not when the engine is running. Start it up and throw a volt meter on the battery. It should read between 13.5 and 14.5 volts(when engine is running).

If it's reading closer to 15Volts then you probably have a broken somewhere in the wiring harness between the alternator and ecu.
    The most common place for them to break is in the wiring harness along the top of the intake manifold. Usually near where the harness is zip tied from the factoria. Wires vibrate and chafe through, then hang on by a thread. One way to check if this is your problem(not a sure fire way) have someone sit in the car(running) and wiggle the wiring harness around. If light flickers or turns on and stays on then that's probably your problem.
    Easy cheap fix. Find broken wire then repair it. Might have to splice in a little chunk oh' wire.

If it's under/not charging I'd still take a look at the wiring harness. That could be the problem too. I've yet to see a bad Mirage alternator but that's not to say they can't go bad. I'd check the wiring first before throwing a new or even a used one at it.

This post is probably way longer than it needs to be.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-19-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't believe brake lights would have anything to do with the battery light.

The battery light will come on for two reasons. It's either overcharging or not charging at all. If it isn't charging, it'll keep running until the battery dies then you're scewed. My first guess would be the common broken wire but you should check other things first...

First and easiest thing to check is make sure you still have a belt... If you're belt broke, you're gonna have a bad time.

If you still have a belt, the next thing I'd do is finger out if you're battery is being charged or not when the engine is running. Start it up and throw a volt meter on the battery. It should read between 13.5 and 14.5 volts(when engine is running).

If it's reading closer to 15Volts then you probably have a broken somewhere in the wiring harness between the alternator and ecu.
    The most common place for them to break is in the wiring harness along the top of the intake manifold. Usually near where the harness is zip tied from the factoria. Wires vibrate and chafe through, then hang on by a thread. One way to check if this is your problem(not a sure fire way) have someone sit in the car(running) and wiggle the wiring harness around. If light flickers or turns on and stays on then that's probably your problem.
    Easy cheap fix. Find broken wire then repair it. Might have to splice in a little chunk oh' wire.

If it's under/not charging I'd still take a look at the wiring harness. That could be the problem too. I've yet to see a bad Mirage alternator but that's not to say they can't go bad. I'd check the wiring first before throwing a new or even a used one at it.

This post is probably way longer than it needs to be.
    Thanks man I'm sending this to my friend to better help diagnose the issue. I will post an update.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Dirk... The last time this happened to you, it was a corroded battery cable, right?

Maybe take a look at the battery terminals to make sure they don't resemble a science experiment...

Name:  corrosion.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  88.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-19-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Dirk... The last time this happened to you, it was a corroded battery cable, right?

Maybe take a look at the battery terminals to make sure they don't resemble a science experiment...

Name:  corrosion.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  88.9 KB
    It'll be the first place I look. I'll pour some coke on that too if I see it.

It'll be the first place I look. I'll pour some coke on that too if I see it.
    Pee on it too. Or not….
    Attachment 23369Attachment 23370 if all of the obvious first things to check seem good look here.^ Usually you gotta snip the zip ties(or carefully open them) slice the tape open and have a look.

Ps.
    Send beer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (05-19-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Pee on it too. Or not….
    Attachment 23369Attachment 23370 if all of the obvious first things to check seem good look here.^ Usually you gotta snip the zip ties(or carefully open them) slice the tape open and have a look.

Ps.
    Send beer
    Will do. Thank you for that brother. I'm waiting a couple of hours for the wife to get home. She said the car started up and ran fine on the way to her job, but the battery idiot light would flash on every few minutes or so and then stay off for a while and then repeat.

She said the car started up and ran fine on the way to her job, but the battery idiot light would flash on every few minutes or so and then stay off for a while and then repeat.
    That sounds familiar. Keep us posted.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-19-2022 at 08:26 PM. Reason: nothing

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    I gotta remember to clip those "zip-tie" wire harness thingys...that's just a failure waiting to happen.

Name:  wiretie.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  31.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)