Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife's G4 just had the battery light come on again after 2 years.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    HVAC and vehicle still running good, no battery lights.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-30-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    There are actually a fair number of those available still. If you do end up buying one just realize that 3000, 4000 rpm is not stress full for the 2.0. That motor needs to spool up 3500 rpm before much of anything happens so as long as that doesn't bother you then I'd make a decision sooner rather than later.
    I like the Outlander Sport (2.0L/148 hp). It reminds me of my former 2000 Honda CR-V (2.0L/146 hp), which was my favorite vehicle of all time. The evolution of the CR-V lost me after the 2nd generation. The Honda 2.4L engine of the 2nd generation CR-V (& Element), however, is awesome!

If an Outlander Sport AWD manual had existed, I would most likely own that instead of my 2011 Forester 2.5X AWD manual & 2017 Mirage ES manual. I thought about replacing my 2011 Forester 5 years ago, but Subaru addressed the oil consumption issue for free (thank you class action lawsuit). A Mirage for under $10,000 OTD also distracted me.

I paid $17,000 for my 2011 Subaru Forester (with 15,000 miles) in 2013. In hindsight, I wish I had bought an older 1st generation Honda CR-V, a 2nd generation CR-V or an Element (all offer an AWD manual option). If Mitsubishi had offered an AWD manual option, I would have been all over that, too. The only other newer AWD/4WD manual options were vehicles like the Jeep Patriot back then. At the time, the Forester seemed like the better choice. Consumer Reports & other vehicle review idiots don't tell the world about things like oil consumption issues.

After 9 years of ownership, I have only paid for oil, filters, tires, extra set of wheels/sensors, one set of brakes, & $200 wire repair (mice eating the wiring near the gas tank) for my Forester. I have been provided with a free loaner vehicle every time warranty or recall work has been done on my Forester. When they replaced the short block and had to do some extra work related to that later on, I wasn't charged a penny. Between those two events alone, I had a free loaner vehicle for at least 11-weeks. I really like my local Subaru dealership, but I don't plan on buying another boxer engine vehicle. Changing items like a head gasket requires the engine being removed. That feels like a ticking time bomb (cost) for me.

If I lived near Atlanta, I would skip AWD, too! I get where Dirk is coming from. I like the older Outlander Sports with a manual. If they offered an AWD manual Outlander Sport, I would probably own one. If that were the case, however, I may not own a second car (Mirage).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-30-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I like the Outlander Sport (2.0L/148 hp). It reminds me of my former 2000 Honda CR-V (2.0L/146 hp), which was my favorite vehicle of all time. The evolution of the CR-V lost me after the 2nd generation. The Honda 2.4L engine of the 2nd generation CR-V (& Element), however, is awesome!

If an Outlander Sport AWD manual had existed, I would most likely own that instead of my 2011 Forester 2.5X AWD manual & 2017 Mirage ES manual. I thought about replacing my 2011 Forester 5 years ago, but Subaru addressed the oil consumption issue for free (thank you class action lawsuit). A Mirage for under $10,000 OTD also distracted me.

I paid $17,000 for my 2011 Subaru Forester (with 15,000 miles) in 2013. In hindsight, I wish I had bought an older 1st generation Honda CR-V, a 2nd generation CR-V or an Element (all offer an AWD manual option). If Mitsubishi had offered an AWD manual option, I would have been all over that, too. The only other newer AWD/4WD manual options were vehicles like the Jeep Patriot back then. At the time, the Forester seemed like the better choice. Consumer Reports & other vehicle review idiots don't tell the world about things like oil consumption issues.

After 9 years of ownership, I have only paid for oil, filters, tires, extra set of wheels/sensors, one set of brakes, & $200 wire repair (mice eating the wiring near the gas tank) for my Forester. I have been provided with a free loaner vehicle every time warranty or recall work has been done on my Forester. When they replaced the short block and had to do some extra work related to that later on, I wasn't charged a penny. Between those two events alone, I had a free loaner vehicle for at least 11-weeks. I really like my local Subaru dealership, but I don't plan on buying another boxer engine vehicle. Changing items like a head gasket requires the engine being removed. That feels like a ticking time bomb (cost) for me.

If I lived near Atlanta, I would skip AWD, too! I get where Dirk is coming from. I like the older Outlander Sports with a manual. If they offered an AWD manual Outlander Sport, I would probably own one. If that were the case, however, I may not own a second car (Mirage).
    When I found out that 2019 was the last year for the OS with a manual motivated me to buy one. Best decision ever. Absolutely love it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    When I found out that 2019 was the last year for the OS with a manual motivated me to buy one. Best decision ever. Absolutely love it.
    If I decided to go back to one vehicle, the OS manual would be on my short list. For my situation, a low mileage 2nd generation CR-V or Element AWD manual may trump that, but those are becoming harder & harder to find. If I only owned one vehicle, it wouldn't be a Mirage. I need to be able to tow my 4' x 8' trailer, & an Outlander Sport could pull that off just as well as my former 1st generation Honda CR-V.

My trailer has been pulled by a Isuzu Trooper, Plymouth Colt wagon, VW Golf, Ford Explorer, 1st generation Honda CR-V, 2nd generation Honda CR-V, & my current Forester. It doesn't look pretty any more, but my $387 tilt bed trailer has served me well.

One of my favorite looking vehicles of all time is the older Mitsubishi Montero Sport. A low mileage one found outside the rust belt would be a sweet tow vehicle, too!
    Last edited by Mark; 05-30-2022 at 06:34 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-30-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Update: I think the G4's blower motor is shot. When I'm at idle the AC temp rises with little chill, but the minute I'm rolling again it turns back to normal. I'm taking it to my trusty mechanic tomorrow and post results. I just hope they can find a blower motor from a parts store. ��

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Update: I think the G4's blower motor is shot. When I'm at idle the AC temp rises with little chill, but the minute I'm rolling again it turns back to normal. I'm taking it to my trusty mechanic tomorrow and post results. I just hope they can find a blower motor from a parts store. ��
    are you confusing blower motor with engine cooling fan?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    are you confusing blower motor with engine cooling fan?
    No. The fan was moving properly.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    So does the fan speed change when you turn the knob or change the settings on the auto climate control?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did you check behind your glovebox & cabin air filter? Someone had a plastic bag blocking their airflow recently. I had a mouse convention on my cabin air filter once.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-03-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,420 Times in 1,027 Posts
    It doesn't sound like a fan (either) issue to me. I suspect low refrigerant from a very small refrigerant leak. But I am no expert.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)