Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife's G4 just had the battery light come on again after 2 years.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Take a deep breath and don't buy anything until you give us a chance to talk you off the ledge.

Fummins pretty much covered it. Any electrical issues you have at this point can probably be diagnosed with a $2.99 multimeter from Harbor Freight.

Agree with a diagnosis before he leaps onto a new car (payment). But a multimeter is just a paperweight if you don't know how to use it. Also: Dirk, don't overestimate the diagnostic abilities of the CarMax mechanic. I've test driven cars at our local CarMax and had to point out alignment issues, engine noises, etc.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Agree with a diagnosis before he leaps onto a new car (payment). But a multimeter is just a paperweight if you don't know how to use it. Also: Dirk, don't overestimate the diagnostic abilities of the CarMax mechanic. I've test driven cars at our local CarMax and had to point out alignment issues, engine noises, etc.
    It's a bright idiot light though. Who misses that? Thankfully we wouldn't be dealing with a car payment. We'd buy it straight out like last time, at the same country ass dealer lol.

I'm not ready to give up yet on the G4. I've driven that car all over the southeast, it might be worth saving but I'm not going to deal with another vehicle with constant electrical issues like I did with my old Outback.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Then with all this said. What could I possibly be looking at? I'm at my shop right now. If this has to do with the corrosion and my electrical systems, I'm unloading this car and getting a new G4. My wife doesn't want the Sport anymore due to its mediocre mpg. Carmax offered us a check for $9800, we paid $10k for it 50k miles ago so we're thrilled about that. We'll keep her though if it's feasible to do so. My wife did fall in love with the new G4 styling though, especially the rear end spoiler.
    IDK why anyone is saying anything to the contrary, but pull that trigger son... send this one on to that Carmax pasture in the sky.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    IDK why anyone is saying anything to the contrary, but pull that trigger son... send this one on to that Carmax pasture in the sky.
    Everything is predicated on how much it's going to cost to fix and if it's worth it to keep it running if corrosion is going to continue and plague the electrical system.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Exactly... cut and run
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Everything is predicated on how much it's going to cost to fix and if it's worth it to keep it running if corrosion is going to continue and plague the electrical system.
    I wouldn't assume the worst. It may not be a big deal to fix in the end.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I wouldn't assume the worst. It may not be a big deal to fix in the end.
    Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Dirk - If you reset the CEL, how long would it remain off? If it stays off for a while, that's cheaper than fixing it.

In any event, hope it works out for the best.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

I think I missed post about a CEL?
    As far as selling it, selling is great but then you gotta buy something for an inflated price.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-06-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Update: I'm looking at $1700 to replace the alternator, some of the wiring and a fresh battery. $1200 OEM alternator.....yeeesh. We're going to keep her. There's no evidence of further corrosion or they would of told me. If anymore electrical issues pop up we're trading her in for a new G4, we've decided.

Our 2017 has been a good car despite the abuse it received before we got it and the corrosion. It's only got 60k miles on it, it's paid off and I'll be goddamn$d if I can't get another 100k out of her but we'll see.