Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife's G4 just had the battery light come on again after 2 years.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Update: I'm looking at $1700 to replace the alternator, some of the wiring and a fresh battery. $1200 OEM alternator.....yeeesh. We're going to keep her. There's no evidence of further corrosion or they would of told me. If anymore electrical issues pop up we're trading her in for a new G4, we've decided.

Our 2017 has been a good car despite the abuse it received before we got it and the corrosion. It's only got 60k miles on it, it's paid off and I'll be goddamn$d if I can't get another 100k out of her but we'll see.
    I'm sure she'll be good to go after this. But you still have the option to trade in later. Another 100k miles sounds very doable. I know you'll keep us posted

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Update: I'm looking at $1700 to replace the alternator, some of the wiring and a fresh battery. $1200 OEM alternator.....yeeesh. We're going to keep her. There's no evidence of further corrosion or they would of told me. If anymore electrical issues pop up we're trading her in for a new G4, we've decided.

Our 2017 has been a good car despite the abuse it received before we got it and the corrosion. It's only got 60k miles on it, it's paid off and I'll be goddamn$d if I can't get another 100k out of her but we'll see.
    Why wouldn't you buy a used OEM alternator and save $1100?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/282621387830...Condition=3000

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Why wouldn't you buy a used OEM alternator and save $1100?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/282621387830...Condition=3000
    That would be the sane thing to do, but what can I say? I'm a sucker for a brand new OEM part. It just gives me an added piece of mind. That link you posted looks perfectly fine, I just can get this job done in 2 days, which as of yesterday my wife is going to need her car in 3 days unexpectedly, for family drama reasons.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    A junkyard alternator would be a very good option as well. Save tons of money.

There was this green one that someone on here had and got hit in the ass-end. The alternator was likely in perfect shape. Those kind of junkyard finds are out there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Basic (06-06-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I wonder what would happen if that no good alternator were to be assembled on a much newer Mirage. One that had warranty. And then I wonder what would happen if that newer Mirage were taken to a dealer to be diagnosed...

And since that newer car's, newer alternator was then just sitting around after having been removed from the newer car, it could be assembled on the older car, since the older car's alternator had been removed.

I just wonder, that's all...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-06-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I wonder what would happen if that no good alternator were to be assembled on a much newer Mirage. One that had warranty. And then I wonder what would happen if that newer Mirage were taken to a dealer to be diagnosed...

And since that newer car's, newer alternator was then just sitting around after having been removed from the newer car, it could be assembled on the older car, since the older car's alternator had been removed.

I just wonder, that's all...
    Sounds like going around my azzhole to get to my elbow lol. Plus my shop will warranty the parts and the work since they're both OEM and new. That could come in handy if I do sell it privately.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Items like alternators & starters are not items I would replace. We have multiple electric repair shops that will rebuild an item like that in no time. They can rebuild most anything. The starter of my late 1970's Bolens G174 diesel 4WD tractor died a number of years ago. The tractor was really made by Iseki of Japan. Despite not being made or sold here for several decades, he had no problem ordering new brushing & rebuilding the starter for about $100. Rebuilding an alternator would not be all that different I don't believe. It may be a couple hundred with today's prices, however.

Quote -

"Rebuilding an alternator is a fairly simple procedure, which anyone with basic automotive knowledge can accomplish. Although the construction of some brands will vary slightly, the basic anatomy of an alternator consists of the same components. Follow these steps as you learn how to rebuild an alternator."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-06-2022)

Dirk isn’t interested in saving money as much as us cheap a$$es. Maybe a new car every 5 years is a better option?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-06-2022),mohammad (06-06-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Dirk isn’t interested in saving money as much as us cheap a$$es. Maybe a new car every 5 years is a better option?
    I mean hell, I drive a Mirage. I'm all about saving money and being cheap lolol. There is a time constraint issue I'm dealing with right now.

Breaking your balls.

It is disappointing that we’ll never know what your actual problem is since your mechanic seems to be replacing a bunch of random parts hoping one of them will actually fix your problem.

You should ask for your old alternator back and 7 miles out can see if it works in his car.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-07-2022)