Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife's G4 just had the battery light come on again after 2 years.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Lack of specified quantity of refrigerant. Refrigerant pressures are ... beside the point. I guess a "weak" compressor could also cause this. But it is like 10 time less likely to be a worn out compressor.
    Couldn't an excess of refrigerant also be the problem? I seem to remember an older post where a little under or a little over affects these tiny systems.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I just got back from a few days in Tampa. It was just the usual hot...but you're right...the humidity was off the frigging charts crazy uncomfortable. Maybe the worst I can remember. I rented a brand new Chevy Malibu and that friggin' AC was set on max/recirc/61 degrees the entire time. With a huge black dashpad and no tinted windows, it was fighting to keep the car comfortable. I don't think my Mirage AC would do very well down there.
    I spent the 16th, 17th and 18th in Tampa myself. On the 17th the heat index was 110F. My son's 2008 RAV-4 handled it like a boss. But it's silver inside and out. Lots of stop and go on the highway, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Couldn't an excess of refrigerant also be the problem? I seem to remember an older post where a little under or a little over affects these tiny systems.
    A little under or over should not be an issue. The only way an over amount can affect it is by over pressuring the high-side. But there's a sensor to shut it off if there is too much pressure on the high side. My guesstimate is ± 20 grams in our 270 gram system would not be an issue. That's 10.4 ounces. Seems I remember there being a 10.5 ounce refrigerant can available. Of course you'd have to start with an evacuated system. But one full 10.5 ounce can in our system would be the way to go. After time and some very small leakage, the capacity in the system will work its way toward nominal and the system should work optimally for longer.

In Dirk's case (well ... everyone's case), at idle with it in gear, the pressures will drop due the slower speed of the compressor. So his issue will not be related to too much refrigerant, since his problem is "manifesting" at idle.

I'd like to speculate more about your car's issue, but that just confuses things more, because I DO NOT KNOW the fact. And these systems don't care about our speculation.

I've had a death in the family. I've got to motor on up to Chattanooga for the funeral. My sweet little aunt. Anywho - I'll be motoring on Saturday, the funeral taking place Sunday / Monday. The Blueberry is big enough for hauling manifold gauges, a cute little scale and my vacuum pump. Just sayin', for a friend.

Oh ... I'm also saying this

Name:  Refrigerant with Dye.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  25.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-24-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    I spent the 16th, 17th and 18th in Tampa myself. On the 17th the heat index was 110F. My son's 2008 RAV-4 handled it like a boss. But it's silver inside and out. Lots of stop and go on the highway, too.
    Wow, I was in Orlando on the 17th, 18th and 19th. Small world. I was in an ugly red Elantra.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    A little under or over should not be an issue. The only way an over amount can affect it is by over pressuring the high-side. But there's a sensor to shut it off if there is too much pressure on the high side. My guesstimate is ± 20 grams in our 270 gram system would not be an issue. That's 10.4 ounces. Seems I remember there being a 10.5 ounce refrigerant can available. Of course you'd have to start with an evacuated system. But one full 10.5 ounce can in our system would be the way to go. After time and some very small leakage, the capacity in the system will work its way toward nominal and the system should work optimally for longer.

In Dirk's case (well ... everyone's case), at idle with it in gear, the pressures will drop due the slower speed of the compressor. So his issue will not be related to too much refrigerant, since his problem is "manifesting" at idle.

I'd like to speculate more about your car's issue, but that just confuses things more, because I DO NOT KNOW the fact. And these systems don't care about our speculation.

I've had a death in the family. I've got to motor on up to Chattanooga for the funeral. My sweet little aunt. Anywho - I'll be motoring on Saturday, the funeral taking place Sunday / Monday. The Blueberry is big enough for hauling manifold gauges, a cute little scale and my vacuum pump. Just sayin', for a friend.

Oh ... I'm also saying this

Name:  Refrigerant with Dye.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  25.1 KB
    Appreciate that and I'm sorry for your loss regarding your Aunt. I love Aunts, they always give you the inside scoop on what your patents were like when they were young.

My wide has got her heart set on the 2022 Black Edition G4. It's a sharp looking ride and the interior is really nice, leather wheel and soft touch material everywhere. The red stitching is well done IMO. Mitsubishi wants $500 to add the center console lol! No thanks, I can get an OEM one for $125 and install myself and a friend like last time. I might splurge though and get that OEM envelope style cargo netting for the G4. I love it in my hatchback.

I'll be in NYC over the 4th of July weekend but when we fly back the 5th, I'll post updates on what we get for the 2017 G4 from Carmax. 2 weeks ago they offered $9800, now it's down to $9k. Maybe something to do with the interests rates changing.

I figure if we can recoup 80% of what we paid for it ($10k) I'll call it a win.

Name:  20220624_085702.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  94.3 KB

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Name:  20220624_085612.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  93.9 KB

Name:  20220624_090601.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  93.4 KB

Name:  20220624_085630.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  96.9 KBName:  20220624_090645.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  20220624_090638.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  96.8 KB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-24-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Looks good!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Pretty fancy! Is that fabric on the door panel and a cushioned "arm rest"?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Pretty fancy! Is that fabric on the door panel and a cushioned "arm rest"?
    Yeah, not that either of us would ever use it lol. She's short so her seat is all the way up with both hands on the wheel. For me, I sit to far back to be able to rest my left elbow on it.

I like black alloys though, they hide dirt better and aren't flashy but look nice up close.

You'd think the Black Edition would come with an arm rest but oh no, that'd be too much. Once again, I got them to throw in an extra key and spare tire after the OTD price was established. Not much of a victory against the man, but I'll take what I can get.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I figure with 25% tint all around except the windshield, it'll look like a little FBI car lol!