Thread: Does anyone else miss the Expo?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Does anyone else miss the Expo?

I was thinking today about cars that I liked during my childhood, and like now, it was always something quirky, offbeat, and practical. The first 1992-1995 Expo LRV (also known as RVR, Plymouth Colt Vista or Eagle Summit Wagon) was one my favorites back then. A neighbor had a white one back then and it always caught my eye; looking somewhat disproportional and even futuristic. What's not to love; small size, good fuel economy, loads of room, and very practical with the side sliding door. It doesn't seem like they were good sellers, probably due to a high price and the minivan image, and the introduction of similar sized crossover SUV's like the RAV4 and CR-V didn't do it any favors.

These mini-minivans were always intriguing. I've kept an eye out for any for sale in good shape, but they're rare. Back in 2002, I managed to convince my equally eccentric ex-boyfriend to buy a 1990 Nissan Axxess with the very limited budget he had. We loved that van, and were asked a lot by random folks wanted to know where to get one. That one had dual sliding doors and even AWD.

There's nothing quite similar on the market; the Mazda5 is much bigger, and the Kia Rondo looks like a spiritual successor to the Expo, but it's only sold in Canada

Reflecting back on Mitsubishi's history, it was a fun and unique addition to their lineup back then

Name:  1992-ad.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  32.5 KB

Name:  eagle-summit-wagon-05.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  26.9 KB

Name:  $(KGrHqV,!q8E+0T51Nc5BQMGZruVN!~~60_12.JPG
Views: 407
Size:  23.3 KB

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  27.0 KB

I forgot about those cars.

Name:  colt-vista.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  41.6 KB

I think the first generation was even more interesting looking. Just look at that!

I never drove in any of the Mitsu variants, but a friend in high school had two of its competitors - Nissan Axxess - and bombed around in that a fair amount.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    An old roommate of mine had a 90 honda civic wagon. We called it the popemobile, as it felt like you were driving around inside a glass bubble. Visibility was awesome. Thanks for the memories.

Name:  popemobile.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  80.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    My parents had a Colt Vista with AWD. It didn't last too long after two deer slaying accidents though.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Seemed like in America that they never really caught on. Just my .02 though

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Huahaha I've driven one of this car, it was a blue one. Fam business needs "box" cars. Transmission on the steering wheel, can't see what's at your back.

Name:  Mitsubishi_Colt_L300.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  81.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fifteenwindow View Post
    An old roommate of mine had a 90 honda civic wagon. We called it the popemobile, as it felt like you were driving around inside a glass bubble. Visibility was awesome. Thanks for the memories.
    I would drive one in a heartbeat.

Here's a guy from houston with one. Pure JDM right here:

However, I may have gone the other route. Put some all-terrain tires, with a 3 inch lift, so I can take this to the beach.

http://www.subcompactculture.com/2010/03/blog-post.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)