Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Another one bites the dust, Repair questions

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I have a pair of jumper cables, replacement clutch cable, serpentine belt, & two headlight bulbs stored by the spare tire.
    I also replaced the spare donut tire with a full size tire (have summer/winter set of tires to pick from) this past spring. I cut out a piece of masonite board with my electric jigsaw using the rear carpet cover as my template just last week. The full size spare raises the thin factory board about 1.5-2 inches. I put wooden cleats on both ends of my cut out board and the tire supports the center. The factory carpet still covers it all.
    I really like the thought of having a full size spare with me when doing longer trips from home. I'm glad it fits in that area. It would be a perfect fit if it were a bit deeper. It probably also helps that I have 165/65r14 tires that take up less space.
    That all sounds like a good idea. I also have second set of winter tires. I might do the same for a spare. Never thought about a spare clutch cable. Serpentine belt on my wifes last car would shred periodically so kept a extra belt and wrench in that one. Then i learned how to tell what the cause was. My brother-in-law said to look at the pulleys and if one is blue or colored from heat, that will be the one dragging. Sure enough it was the alternator and the pully was blue from heat. I replaced the alternator and never had to replace the belt again. But it is good to have a spare belt with you. Good advice Mark

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I have a pair of jumper cables, replacement clutch cable, serpentine belt, & two headlight bulbs stored by the spare tire.

I also replaced the spare donut tire with a full size tire (have summer/winter set of tires to pick from) this past spring. I cut out a piece of masonite board with my electric jigsaw using the rear carpet cover as my template just last week. The full size spare raises the thin factory board about 1.5-2 inches. I put wooden cleats on both ends of my cut out board and the tire supports the center. The factory carpet still covers it all.

I really like the thought of having a full size spare with me when doing longer trips from home. I'm glad it fits in that area. It would be a perfect fit if it were a bit deeper. It probably also helps that I have 165/65r14 tires that take up less space.
    I remember a photo on this forum someone had a plastic insert from mitsubishi that went around the spare tire well and under the carpet to create some storage containers. and had the exact correct height for a full size-spare.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Kinda...I assume you're talking about this
    Attachment 23567

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-27-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Kinda...I assume you're talking about this
    Attachment 23567
    yes this is what i meant. looks like a full size alloy spare to me.How were you able to find this photo? i looked around for a bit and couldn't find it.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    yes this is what i meant. looks like a full size alloy spare to me.How were you able to find this photo? i looked around for a bit and couldn't find it.
    I remember those photos, and they may have subconsciously inspired me to make my own rear cover. You don't lose much overall space storing a full size spare. I wouldn't have bothered to do this if I only had one set of wheels for my Mirage. Since I have two sets, I figured why not?