Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil filter installation and removal

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Yeah...looking down at the filter from the top...standing in front of the car... (pics from inuvik in another thread)...

Attachment 23419

I move towards the passenger side and stick my left arm down in here and bring my left hand up from below that radiator hose. Then I can twist the filter with my left hand...

Attachment 23420

I'll have to admit it took a few oil changes to perfect this technique.

To get the factory filter off, I found this oil filter tool to work better than the stamped steel $5 sockets.
    I have all types of oil filter sockets including the type you shared. I would recommend the stamped steel one over the aluminum alloy one you shared.

If you look closely at the picture you shared, there is very little room in front of the filter itself. A stubby handled ratchet stuck into the stamped steel oil filter socket takes up less room than the one where the ratchet attaches to the top of the aluminum alloy oil filter socket. I'm sure you can still make the one you shared work, because the radiator hose will flex some. It's not a solid pipe in the front of the oil filter. I still feel the stamped steel one works better for this application. Now that I don't have them cranked on like the factory oil filter, the plastic one works fine, too.

If you have to remove the original factory oil filter or you only do some of your own oil changes (someone else cranks a new oil filter on at times), I would still recommend the stamped steel oil filter socket below -

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T...69649415&psc=1

Since this is a 65/67 mm/14 flutes oil filter socket, it will slip all down to the 65 mm bottom. The tighter the ratchet is to the oil filter socket itself, the better! Otherwise you are fighting the radiator hose more. A 63/65 mm oil filter socket for example would not work as well, because it would stick out more from the 65 mm oil filter.

I also found the stamped steel oil filter socket to work better on a variety of oil filter brands over the years. I used an aluminum alloy oil filter socket on my 1990 Ford Festive (3,000 mile oil changes for 14 years), and some oil filters fit better than others in that style. The stamped metal ones & plastic ones seem more forgiving for various oil filter brands.

I decided to use Purolator ONE PL14610 (10,000 mile) oil filters on my Mirage, because a nearby Farm & Fleet has them on sale quite often. I feel these are good mid-price oil filters, & I do 5,000 mile oil changes. Plan B would be the Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter. So when I bought the first one, I picked up the stamped steel oil filter socket in the store. The weren't in a package, and I could see how it fit on the oil filter.

When I went to do the first oil change on my Mirage, I discovered that I had a 65 mm plastic oil filter socket already. So in my mind I am thinking that I will return the new one. Well, the plastic one couldn't remove the factory oil filter. Thus, the stamped metal one became a new member of my oil filter socket collection. The Kawasaki engines (riding lawnmower & Mule) I own use a 65 mm oil filter, & that's probably why I had the plastic one already.

If you can crank the oil filter on & off by hand, by all means go that route. I spin my Mirage oil filter on & off with my fingertips (using both hands at the same time). Once spun on, I have just enough room to slip on the oil filter socket and ratchet. I can't do a 3/4 turn tighten with just my fingertips, but I can push down or pull up on the stubby handle ratchet with ease on the passenger side of the oil filter. My stubby handle ratchet gives me the leverage needed to finish the job. Even then I am working under & around the radiator hose. A long handle ratchet would work, but not as well because of clearance issues.

I also have an oil filter strap wrench that may work for this application, but the handle on that is also a bit long (creating clearance issues). Stubby handle ratchet with a stamped metal or plastic oil filter socket is the best combination for working from the top on my Mirage. I don't see anything else being superior, but I would recommend the stamped metal one over the plastic if you are removing the factory oil filter or filters put on by others at times.

Last edited by Mark; 05-30-2022 at 04:43 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yeah...looking down at the filter from the top...standing in front of the car... (pics from inuvik in another thread)...

Attachment 23419

I move towards the passenger side and stick my left arm down in here and bring my left hand up from below that radiator hose. Then I can twist the filter with my left hand...

Attachment 23420

To get the factory filter off, I found this oil filter tool to work better than the stamped steel $5 sockets.
    Just tried your method: it works! How do I get my arm out? Har, har!
    Will have to get that stamped wrench thingy...
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts

This is how I have figured out how to get my hand on it as well. My arms are kind of big. Something is poking my arm in multiple spots. And I have a 5 speed. Mainly the inside of my bicep area of my left arm once I'm in the fully committed position. I wind up with an imprint on my arm. And it hurts. But still beats the crap out of letting a shop monkey charge me to screw up a simple job. I clean the drain ramp from up top too.

Last time I sucked the oil out with an oil extractor. I'm going to do that again next time and then once that's done, I'm going to pull the drain plug to check to see how well the extractor emptied the sump. Will report it. But it'll be a while.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (05-31-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    Just tried your method: it works! How do I get my arm out? Har, har!
    Will have to get that stamped wrench thingy...
    Those pictures I posted show the Hastings LF486 / Baldwin B1431. It's a longer filter than the OEM version but it does clear the hose and removing it is actually easier (at least I found). I use a oil filter socket with no issues. I use the same filter (Baldwin B1431) on my OS also. The OS is ridiculously easy to change the oil, the filter is at the bottom and it's vertical so minimal drips or spills.
    Last edited by inuvik; 05-31-2022 at 02:45 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree with Foama on this.

I have a 2021 5 Speed car and I also have always changed my filter from above. From the passenger side I loosen it with my left hand. Then I rotate the filter so the open end is facing up and then grab from the top and pull it up and out.

The only time it was too tight was the initial oil change and I used a triangle shaped three-fingered self adjusting filter wrench to break it free.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's an awkward angle for gauging 3/4 of a turn...I would assume just tightening it as much as I could by hand should be sufficient...I mean, it's been a month or whatever since I changed it, and no leaks...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Magenta For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (05-31-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    I agree with Foama on this.

I have a 2021 5 Speed car and I also have always changed my filter from above. From the passenger side I loosen it with my left hand. Then I rotate the filter so the open end is facing up and then grab from the top and pull it up and out.

The only time it was too tight was the initial oil change and I used a triangle shaped three-fingered self adjusting filter wrench to break it free.
    I'm not sure this is about who is right or wrong?

It took the right tool to get the factory oil filter off. Now that I have it, I am going to use it.

If you don't need or want to use a tool to do the job, that's great!

It's impossible to get the oil filter off without losing some oil, but lifting it up the way you suggested is great.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I have all types of oil filter sockets including the type you shared. I would recommend the stamped steel one over the aluminum alloy one you shared.

If you look closely at the picture you shared, there is very little room in front of the filter itself. A stubby handled ratchet stuck into the stamped steel oil filter socket takes up less room than the one where the ratchet attaches to the top of the aluminum alloy oil filter socket. I'm sure you can still make the one you shared work, because the radiator hose will flex some. It's not a solid pipe in the front of the oil filter. I still feel the stamped steel one works better for this application. Now that I don't have them cranked on like the factory oil filter, the plastic one works fine, too.

If you have to remove the original factory oil filter or you only do some of your own oil changes (someone else cranks a new oil filter on at times), I would still recommend the stamped steel oil filter socket below -

Since this is a 65/67 mm/14 flutes oil filter socket, it will slip all down to the 65 mm bottom. The tighter the ratchet is to the oil filter socket itself, the better! Otherwise you are fighting the radiator hose more. A 63/65 mm oil filter socket for example would not work as well, because it would stick out more from the 65 mm oil filter.

I also found the stamped steel oil filter socket to work better on a variety of oil filter brands over the years. I used an aluminum alloy oil filter socket on my 1990 Ford Festive (3,000 mile oil changes for 14 years), and some oil filters fit better than others in that style. The stamped metal ones & plastic ones seem more forgiving for various oil filter brands.

I decided to use Purolator ONE PL14610 (10,000 mile) oil filters on my Mirage, because a nearby Farm & Fleet has them on sale quite often. I feel these are good mid-price oil filters, & I do 5,000 mile oil changes. Plan B would be the Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter. So when I bought the first one, I picked up the stamped steel oil filter socket in the store. The weren't in a package, and I could see how it fit on the oil filter.

When I went to do the first oil change on my Mirage, I discovered that I had a 65 mm plastic oil filter socket already. So in my mind I am thinking that I will return the new one. Well, the plastic one couldn't remove the factory oil filter. Thus, the stamped metal one became a new member of my oil filter socket collection. The Kawasaki engines (riding lawnmower & Mule) I own use a 65 mm oil filter, & that's probably why I had the plastic one already.

If you can crank the oil filter on & off by hand, by all means go that route. I spin my Mirage oil filter on & off with my fingertips (using both hands at the same time). Once spun on, I have just enough room to slip on the oil filter socket and ratchet. I can't do a 3/4 turn tighten with just my fingertips, but I can push down or pull up on the stubby handle ratchet with ease on the passenger side of the oil filter. My stubby handle ratchet gives me the leverage needed to finish the job. Even then I am working under & around the radiator hose. A long handle ratchet would work, but not as well because of clearance issues.

I also have an oil filter strap wrench that may work for this application, but the handle on that is also a bit long (creating clearance issues). Stubby handle ratchet with a stamped metal or plastic oil filter socket is the best combination for working from the top on my Mirage. I don't see anything else being superior, but I would recommend the stamped metal one over the plastic if you are removing the factory oil filter or filters put on by others at times.
    Got mine today!

It gets tested tomorrow!
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, I could NOT get that 65-67 mm filter socket to work. From above nor from below and even with that belly cover removed. I quit fiddling with that socket and got the pump pliers (channellocks) and wrung it off! I guess I'm too old, too fat and cranky. That part is over and should be able to loosen it by hand in the future.
    I WILL consider a remote if further problems remain the next oil change.

The socket was criticized on Amazon for not working on 65 mm because the 3/8" drive and the filter top interfere. That's the problem here and I was not deft enough to make it work.

Karl