Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oil filter installation and removal

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    Well, I could NOT get that 65-67 mm filter socket to work. From above nor from below and even with that belly cover removed. I quit fiddling with that socket and got the pump pliers (channellocks) and wrung it off! I guess I'm too old, too fat and cranky. That part is over and should be able to loosen it by hand in the future.
    I WILL consider a remote if further problems remain the next oil change.

The socket was criticized on Amazon for not working on 65 mm because the 3/8" drive and the filter top interfere. That's the problem here and I was not deft enough to make it work.
    That's odd, & I am sorry to hear that. I don't have an issue using mine. Not sure if the type of oil filter makes a difference or not? It shouldn't.

Even though I use a socket, I am not cranking it on or off very hard. I just use it, because grabbing the oil filter from the top is not all that easy. I find it easier to slip on the oil filter socket with a stubby handle ratchet & tighten or remove that way.

I would recommend buying the oil socket in the store along with the oil filter you are using. I did pick out the one I needed that way @ a Farm & Fleet store. That's also when I decided to use a mid-grade oil filter like the Purolator ONE (10,000 mile filter).

I am no skinny mini myself! I wonder if a Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter would work better for you? They are easier to grip than most, and it's a quality oil filter (may be the best oil filter value out there).

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Just finished the second change (a little over the 7500 miles!) and the filter came off by hand as expected. No consumption! All three quarts were there! Well, actually little surprise.
    But getting the filter back on was a challenge. I pray Fummins is a skinny guy having so many of these to maintain! This change was the most physically challenging ever!
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    Just finished the second change (a little over the 7500 miles!) and the filter came off by hand as expected. No consumption! All three quarts were there! Well, actually little surprise.
    But getting the filter back on was a challenge. I pray Fummins is a skinny guy having so many of these to maintain! This change was the most physically challenging ever!
    It's not so bad if you have a hoist. It's a pita sometimes if the bumper/rad support has ever kissed a curb. The factory filter is always way too tight. The first bunch that I did from new required pulling the splash shield off to get a better grip. I ended up buying a filter socket to get the other oem filters off.

The wix filters(57356) I use now are a little longer so you can get a better grip. For my own car I use whatever filter is on sale, the last time I changed it I used the scary fram filter with the textured grip on the end of the filter.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's not so bad if you have a hoist. It's a pita sometimes if the bumper/rad support has ever kissed a curb. The factory filter is always way too tight. The first bunch that I did from new required pulling the splash shield off to get a better grip. I ended up buying a filter socket to get the other oem filters off.

The wix filters(57356) I use now are a little longer so you can get a better grip. For my own car I use whatever filter is on sale, the last time I changed it I used the scary fram filter with the textured grip on the end of the filter.
    I used the Wix first time but Microgard 57356 this time, available locally, cheaper than Amazon! Locally was O'reilly's..
    Karl

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    oK, for me, I'm 6'1"or so, about 145 lb. and my arms kinda look like I borrowed them from Johnny Winter. More strength than a visual examination would lead you. I've used my metal over the filter wrench thing TWICE, each time after a shop did the oil. No way, no how would the filter come loose by hand but with the tool it took nearly zero effort. So chalk it up to my forearm strength (or lack of)

I wonder how I will fare when matched against this filter? Name:  tecumseh oil filter.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  16.0 KB

Yes, that's a filter for my Tecumseh 13 HP OHV single cyl. vertical shaft engine as used in my garden tractor. It's the first small engine I have ever owned with a filter. I'm not thrilled paying $10 for a filter but I've decided to change it every other season. Even my other Tecumseh Snow King engines lacked filters.
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 04-17-2023 at 11:41 PM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Since I bought my Mirage in 2017, I have sort of switched over to Purolator oil filters for most everything. I can pick them off the shelf of my local Farm & Fleet store. It's just a matter of deciding what grade oil filter (Premium (L), Advanced (PL), and Maximum (PBL) I want to purchase for each item.

2017 Mirage - use PurolatorONE PL14610 (10,000 mile protection) change oil every 5,000 miles.

2011 Subaru Forester - use PurolatorONE PL14615 (10,000 mile protection) change once a year/under 5,000 miles.

1993 John Deere LX176 (14 hp Kawasaki engine) - use PurolatorONE PL14476 - change every spring.
    2006 Kawsaki Mule 610 4x4 - same oil filter as John Deere mower above - change every spring.

late 1970's Bolen G174 4WD diesel (Iseki built with Mitsubishi engine) tractor - use PurolatorONE PL14459 - every other year.

I think Purolator's quality has improved since MANN+HUMMEL took over ownership of the company. Oil filters are made in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

Couple quotes related to the company -

"In 1923, Ernest Sweetland and George H. Greenhalgh patented the first automotive oil filtration system. They called their invention “Purolator”, short for the words “pure oil later”, and they began a story of quality and innovation that continues to this day."

"MANN+HUMMEL Purolator Filters LLC, more commonly known as Purolator, is an American manufacturer of oil and air filters, based in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Since 2013, it has been a subsidiary of German filter manufacturer Mann+Hummel."

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I never did bother to determine if the purolater courier company was the the same people as the oil filter crowd.

I go with Fram simply because Amazon allows me to subscribe and get them auto delivered. That, and my local jobbers have gone full retard wanting $10 (never heard of it) to $25 (high end, so they say) for filters.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Since Mark uses Purolators, I'm going to switch over to them. Not being a smarty pants, but Mark does good research. And I find Purolators easier / more convenient to procure in my area than are Wix filters. Wix filters aren't too difficult to procure either. Because Mark...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

I use wix cause they're on the shelf and that's what I'm told to use. I kinda feel they've gotten cheaper over the last few years with packaging and possibly the gasket material too. I've seen a few mfg eff-ups too, typically the end cap was installed with the wrong thread pitch. That's happened a few times recently with various part numbers. Would be a pita to find that out mid oil change.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (04-18-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    I don't blame you. Wix filters are fine, especially if they're sitting "right there." I did notice a Wix filter a couple weeks back when I went to pick one up, that had some rubber looking, maybe an internal gasket sticking out through the threaded hole. Made me wonder what might be schmutzed up down inside. I picked up another and it looked fine. It's what's on there now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)