Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Smells Like Gas

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Oil Smells Like Gas

My ‘17 Mirage SE has no codes but I’ve noticed the past few months that the oil smells like gas. I just changed my oil two weeks ago and it didn’t smell when I put it in but now it does smell. I will describe driving habits below. The oil level has not changed at all. Has anybody had this problem before or have tips on diagnosing it?

Best case scenario that specific grade of oil just smells like that after a few heat cycles.

Worst case scenario it is bad piston rings, which imo is super unlikely. Next worst, leaking fuel injectors. Not sure how to diagnose that besides putting a screwdriver handle up to my ear and seeing if one sounds different? Surely it would throw a code if that were the case. I don’t want to have to get a new valve cover gasket just to take them out and see.

I have new OE spark plugs on order right now just in case that’s a cause. They have 75k miles on them anyway and metals prices keep climbing. Better to buy them now than later. I was also thinking about cleaning the PCV valve because it’s never been cleaned and a new one is 40 dollars.

My husband and I work opposite shifts so he drives it 14 miles both ways, then I drive 12 miles both ways. Through winter I idled it on my breaks (2x20 minutes) because Ohio is cold and I won’t talk to my coworkers unless I’m being paid to. We regularly drive 1+ hours at a time on the weekends running around town to different stores and hiking trails, so I would think that would release any gas vapors that may build up from short commutes during the week. I stopped idling it on my breaks after my last oil change because the weather has been bearable at night. But it’s still smelling like gas after only two weeks?

On the positive side, I should have zero carbon buildup…

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am also wondering if, after cleaning the PCV, a grill cover mod might help it reach operating temp faster to help evaporate any gas from the oil. To help on short commutes.

PS. I may have no idea what the hell I’m talking about

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Smelling of gas could be a few different things, but if accompanied by a big decrease in gas mileage.....take it to the dealer and have it checked out. This happened to my 2018 Mirage in Jan 2021 with 78,000 miles. The issue was 'overfueling' and I needed a new engine. Too much gas in the cylinders causing oil dilution and piston scoring....the engine was toast!

No warning lights or throwing codes. Engine was replaced under warranty.
    Last edited by Wil B; 06-02-2022 at 02:59 AM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Your description was excellent in detail and sequence and everyone (except good lawyers) ask questions when they need answers!
    Maybe your nose is all if a sudden works better because since the advent of detergent /synthetic oils the gas smell has been prevalent to my smeller. Have there been any changes in performance or operation? How often do you change oil? What does your oil smell like when fresh?
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    The next time you change the oil, consider an oil analysis. I think it costs $30. If you have fuel (or anything else unusual) in your oil, this test will catch it. THIS guy's video explains the process.

HERE is my latest Mirage oil analysis at 100,000 miles. Down towards the bottom of the report is a Fuel % reading.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Bishi View Post
    I am also wondering if, after cleaning the PCV, a grill cover mod might help it reach operating temp faster to help evaporate any gas from the oil. To help on short commutes.

PB - I don't consider your 12 mile each way and 14 mile each way to be a short trip. That's plenty of time to bring it up to temp in my opinion. And I wouldn't bother with a grill cover. I have a 3.5 mile trip to work. But I ride around for lunch usually too. And I don't see any problems with my short trip ... but it's warmer down here in the Thunderdome.

I would go give my oil a good sniff, but my sniffer stopped working after I got sick last week. Can't taste too well either. Had some mint chocolate chip ice cream last night, could taste zero mint. So, me sniffing oil is not going to be helpful.

I 2nd Top Fuel's idea to get an oil analysis. Used to (a hundred years ago) the first oil analysis at Blackstone Labs was free. Probably not free any longer. That would be a definitive way to get answers. Until then, I wouldn't sweat it. My thinking is that it might tend to smell a bit like gas after some time. There's bound to be some blow-by exposing oil to gas vapors. So, smell alone doesn't paint the whole picture ... in my estimation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I made sure to smell the oil before putting it in this time, which is a big reason I insisted upon doing it myself. It smelled nothing like gas. It really might be a synthetic oil thing, because my truck’s 10w30 synthetic oil smells the same and it’s been driving me crazy lately that both of my vehicles have this going on. I have had no negative changes in fuel economy or performance. It’s actually been amazing since I changed my CVT fluid and filters, cleaned the pan, and replaced the air filter. Princess Diana Jr drives FRESH.

So, for reference, is anyone willing to go and smell their oil for me? I’d like to get a $30 test done but I’ve been begging my husband to fit coolant and brake fluid into the budget for a few weeks and I’m pretty sure my truck needs new brake lines. Also I suspect coolant and trans fluid are mixing in that truck. It’s probably a project most people would sell but I want to learn how to work on vehicles and it presents an opportunity to get in deep with some more complex repairs. I made what was considered to be decent money before this inflation garbage so if it’s a normal smell I don’t want to spend unnecessarily.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Bishi View Post

What brand of oil are we talking about?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    I've never smelt oil, but I did taste it once. Tastes like chicken...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I've never smelt oil, but I did taste it once. Tastes like chicken...
    Har, har!

Karl