Thread: Damage on door and roof :(

Damage on door and roof :(

Some time ago I noticed a scratch at one of the back doors. I was extremely annoyed by this, I don't use that door, like ever, but not much I can do about it.

As I'll trade in this car in a month or two (IF everything goes according to plan, which is a big IF) and my current Space Star (2018, white, Dutch "Connect Pro 1.2" trim level) needed service (plus a check required by Dutch law), I informed my dealer of it and asked them to make a cost analysis to fix it, so I can make an educated decision on to fix it, or have a rough idea of what they would subtract from the quoted trade-in price.

Disappointingly, they called to let me know they found more damage, on the roof. Probably caused by hail (hope that's proper English, otherwise "ice storm"?), or by parking under certain trees.

The dealer wants me to call my insurance, as it should be covered by my plan. They had the hardest time showing me in person where that damage is though, it really is hard to spot to the untrained eye (the car being white also makes it harder to spot, I was told). It will be an awkward call as well ("My dealer reports damage that I've never detected myself and no, truly honestly have no idea when and where it happened")

A bit grumpy about this all... can't remember any weather condition lately, where weather could have caused this. Maybe it's been there for years and now "suddenly" they find it.

Oh wel, sorry for this long winded post, but... sigh.... car dealers.

Are this common issues on this car?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vintzend For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (06-04-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Maybe they're using this as an excuse to give you less $$ for your trade-in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (06-04-2022),mohammad (06-04-2022),vintzend (06-04-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Maybe they're using this as an excuse to give you less $$ for your trade-in.
    Yeah that's what I mean with "suddenly"...

I can't shake off the feeling they'll magically "find" other weaknesses when the time comes to trade it in.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vintzend View Post

I can't shake off the feeling they'll magically "find" other weaknesses when the time comes to trade it in.
    It's a roof on a cheap Mirage. I would ignore them & not worry about it. My Mirage has a large dent in the middle of the roof from a hail storm. It happened within the 1st year of ownership. Thankfully, it was the only dent because hundreds of homes in the area claimed roof hail damage that year. I was parked at school/work when it happened.

If they have a hard time even showing you where it is, I would literally laugh them off. The scratch on the door is another issue. That would bother me more. In my case, I would have a deductible on my insurance. If the cost to repair that scrape/scratch is less than my deductible, I wouldn't make a claim. If it's a lot more than my deductible, then I may consider addressing the roof issue at the same time.

Cars seldom stay perfect if you use them.
    Last edited by Mark; 06-04-2022 at 09:05 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vintzend (06-04-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

I would think twice before buying a new car from that dealership, if that's the way they treat a repeat customer, with a good used car. Any car that has been used properly will have a few parking lot dents and scratches in the hatchback area.

That Mitsu dealer is not really thinking ahead on that one. Short term profits I suppose?

Honestly, the tactics car dealers use remind me a lot of carnival games at the fair, where they really draw you in and make you feel excited and in the spotlight. Then they take your money and you get no prize, and then in 30 seconds you're forgotten. On to the next sucker hyped up on cotton candy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

vintzend (06-04-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    They had the hardest time showing me in person where that damage is though, it really is hard to spot to the untrained eye

if you can't see the damage even while looking for it. Is it really damaged?

Ive got various dents mostly large on the roof and a rust spot. Do you not find it strange that they immediately advised you to open an insurance claim and probably told you the repair would be "free to you" and that your rates "won't go up"?

if your trying to sell a car why fix it first? why not just find a customer that can overlook or not notice these minor issues?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

vintzend (06-04-2022)

They subtracted 512 euros from the trade value, because of the dent at the door. I don't know what they are planning to do about the roof damage yet, I assume the worst.

After reading the insurance policy, I think I won't claim the damage. It will subtract 5 years of claim-free years from my total (which total is way higher), but since I didn't cause this damage, I'm not comfortable with a claim.

I've come to the sad conclusion that ordering the new Space Star, back in December, was a mistake (at least financially). I didn't anticipate the financial woes, as I considered the Space Star 2018 a drama/trouble-free purchase until May/June 2022.

That both Mitsubishi and the dealer seemingly tried to hide the fact that the 2023 top trim level was reduced (very) significantly from the 2022 version (which in itself was already reduced from the 2020 version) doesn't help.

I'll probably still buy the car, I still like the latest facelift so much better than my 2018 version.