Thread: CVT issue

Country
    United States
    Thanks

CVT issue

2014 ES, early production number Mirage and it is doing something strange in the CVT. It happens with a light throttle around 46-49mph, or 56-59mph where it is trying to lower the RPMs and I hear this screeching sound along with the CVT jerking and if I let off the throttle it goes away. It is not consistent in doing this, just this morning coming back from the store accelerating from a stop with a light throttle it did it even at a lower speed.
    It goes away when I reset the battery (30 minute hard reset) then it comes back. I changed the cooler filter and CVT fluid with OEM liquid gold about 3000 miles ago. I am going to be doing the pan filter and a fresh fluid change this fall as I have all the parts. Thoughts?

Rob

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    you think disconnecting the battery causes your transmission to stop squeaking?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think resetting the TCU forces it to relearn again.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WEXX View Post
    I think resetting the TCU forces it to relearn again.
    Yup. no help here.......................

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    How many miles on you're CVT? Is it still working?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    How many miles on you're CVT? Is it still working?
    65k, new fluid, new cooler filter. Still working. What the issue is the CVT programming seeking the lowest RPM for fuel economy, with a light throttle and gentle acceleration when the CVT tries to engage the 2 speed planetary clutch it cannot make it's mind up and I think that is the cause of the squalling I hear. Very rarely happens but it is bothersome. Will see if a TCU reflash will fix it once I can get it scheduled. I have a pedal commander now and it helps since the throttle is more responsive and gets the car up to speed then letting it get into the high ratio it wants keeping out of the 2 speed wishy washy. Will see.

RH

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    65k, new fluid, new cooler filter. Still working. What the issue is the CVT programming seeking the lowest RPM for fuel economy, with a light throttle and gentle acceleration when the CVT tries to engage the 2 speed planetary clutch it cannot make it's mind up and I think that is the cause of the squalling I hear. Very rarely happens but it is bothersome. Will see if a TCU reflash will fix it once I can get it scheduled. I have a pedal commander now and it helps since the throttle is more responsive and gets the car up to speed then letting it get into the high ratio it wants keeping out of the 2 speed wishy washy. Will see.

RH
    Can you elaborate on this Pedal Commander? Does it work well? Everything on their website tries to send me over to Facebook and I don't mess with that. Do they make it for the Mirage and how much is it?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Bishi View Post
    Can you elaborate on this Pedal Commander? Does it work well? Everything on their website tries to send me over to Facebook and I don't mess with that. Do they make it for the Mirage and how much is it?
    Sorry, It's from Ultimate 9, not a pedal commander.
    It works great, even on the CVT. From what I have found is that the ECU and TCU will talk to each other and where ever the throttle is the ECU will be limited in how much engine power it can send to the CVT in order for it not to slip the belt from torque when accelerating.
    The throttle response is much better on u.1 setting for me, and when the a/c is running it helps with that power loss by making the throttle still responsive instead of sluggish. It's all a feel thing.

https://www.ultimate9.co/
    Model #EVC313L 2012-2016 $210.00

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sorry, It's from Ultimate 9, not a pedal commander.
    It works great, even on the CVT. From what I have found is that the ECU and TCU will talk to each other and where ever the throttle is the ECU will be limited in how much engine power it can send to the CVT in order for it not to slip the belt from torque when accelerating.
    The throttle response is much better on u.1 setting for me, and when the a/c is running it helps with that power loss by making the throttle still responsive instead of sluggish. It's all a feel thing.

https://www.ultimate9.co/
    Model #EVC313L 2012-2016 $210.00
    For anyone wondering, the 2017 and newer automatic mirages have an additional shifter position called "Ds" which is a sport mode that has a similar effect to this aftermarket part WEXX mentioned.

please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos