Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: CVT issue

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Georgia
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    CVT issue

    2014 ES, early production number Mirage and it is doing something strange in the CVT. It happens with a light throttle around 46-49mph, or 56-59mph where it is trying to lower the RPMs and I hear this screeching sound along with the CVT jerking and if I let off the throttle it goes away. It is not consistent in doing this, just this morning coming back from the store accelerating from a stop with a light throttle it did it even at a lower speed.
    It goes away when I reset the battery (30 minute hard reset) then it comes back. I changed the cooler filter and CVT fluid with OEM liquid gold about 3000 miles ago. I am going to be doing the pan filter and a fresh fluid change this fall as I have all the parts. Thoughts?

    Rob



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Toronto
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    734
    Thanks
    1,019
    Thanked 173 Times in 142 Posts
    you think disconnecting the battery causes your transmission to stop squeaking?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Georgia
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I think resetting the TCU forces it to relearn again.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Georgia
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WEXX View Post
    I think resetting the TCU forces it to relearn again.
    Yup. no help here.......................

  5. #5
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    looking into the abyss
    Country
    Turkmenistan
    Posts
    4,817
    Thanks
    1,787
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 784 Posts
    How many miles on you're CVT? Is it still working?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Georgia
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    How many miles on you're CVT? Is it still working?
    65k, new fluid, new cooler filter. Still working. What the issue is the CVT programming seeking the lowest RPM for fuel economy, with a light throttle and gentle acceleration when the CVT tries to engage the 2 speed planetary clutch it cannot make it's mind up and I think that is the cause of the squalling I hear. Very rarely happens but it is bothersome. Will see if a TCU reflash will fix it once I can get it scheduled. I have a pedal commander now and it helps since the throttle is more responsive and gets the car up to speed then letting it get into the high ratio it wants keeping out of the 2 speed wishy washy. Will see.

    RH

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Location
    Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WEXX View Post
    65k, new fluid, new cooler filter. Still working. What the issue is the CVT programming seeking the lowest RPM for fuel economy, with a light throttle and gentle acceleration when the CVT tries to engage the 2 speed planetary clutch it cannot make it's mind up and I think that is the cause of the squalling I hear. Very rarely happens but it is bothersome. Will see if a TCU reflash will fix it once I can get it scheduled. I have a pedal commander now and it helps since the throttle is more responsive and gets the car up to speed then letting it get into the high ratio it wants keeping out of the 2 speed wishy washy. Will see.

    RH
    Can you elaborate on this Pedal Commander? Does it work well? Everything on their website tries to send me over to Facebook and I don't mess with that. Do they make it for the Mirage and how much is it?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Georgia
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Bishi View Post
    Can you elaborate on this Pedal Commander? Does it work well? Everything on their website tries to send me over to Facebook and I don't mess with that. Do they make it for the Mirage and how much is it?
    Sorry, It's from Ultimate 9, not a pedal commander.
    It works great, even on the CVT. From what I have found is that the ECU and TCU will talk to each other and where ever the throttle is the ECU will be limited in how much engine power it can send to the CVT in order for it not to slip the belt from torque when accelerating.
    The throttle response is much better on u.1 setting for me, and when the a/c is running it helps with that power loss by making the throttle still responsive instead of sluggish. It's all a feel thing.

    https://www.ultimate9.co/
    Model #EVC313L 2012-2016 $210.00

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Toronto
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    734
    Thanks
    1,019
    Thanked 173 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WEXX View Post
    Sorry, It's from Ultimate 9, not a pedal commander.
    It works great, even on the CVT. From what I have found is that the ECU and TCU will talk to each other and where ever the throttle is the ECU will be limited in how much engine power it can send to the CVT in order for it not to slip the belt from torque when accelerating.
    The throttle response is much better on u.1 setting for me, and when the a/c is running it helps with that power loss by making the throttle still responsive instead of sluggish. It's all a feel thing.

    https://www.ultimate9.co/
    Model #EVC313L 2012-2016 $210.00
    For anyone wondering, the 2017 and newer automatic mirages have an additional shifter position called "Ds" which is a sport mode that has a similar effect to this aftermarket part WEXX mentioned.


    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •