Thread: Average MPG

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Average MPG

2020 Mirage ES. I Took a long Highway Trip this weekend, after driving about an hour at approx 65 MPH, I noticed on my gauge it said my average MPG was 50.3 MPG. Is that possible or is the MPG Gauge rigged. Anyone else getting these readings. I know we are supposed to get about 39 to 40 MPG but 50.3 Any inputs on this.. Thanks..

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    When conditions are not unfavourable, my Space Star (1.0L manual) can do 25km/L at 100km/h, which is 58.8mpg at 62ml/h. So your numbers don't look suspicious to me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    best ive ever seen on them mid was 4.9l/100km or 48mpg(1.2L cvt without cruise). Its quite possible you were on an overall slight downhill or had a slight tail wind and didnt notice. Thats why fuel economy nerds do there testing bi-directionaly. I.e a test route consists of driving from A to B then back to A. Then they do their mod and drive the test route again.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midengine View Post
    2020 Mirage ES. I Took a long Highway Trip this weekend, after driving about an hour at approx 65 MPH, I noticed on my gauge it said my average MPG was 50.3 MPG. Is that possible or is the MPG Gauge rigged. Anyone else getting these readings. I know we are supposed to get about 39 to 40 MPG but 50.3 Any inputs on this.. Thanks..
    If I were driving 65 mph for an hour & got under 40 mpg with my Mirage, I would feel something was wrong with my car. I don't place much value on the mpg gauge, but it's probably not off by much more than 1-2 mpg.

If I am driving a two lane highway @ 60-65 mph, I would expect to get 45+ mpg (47-48 mpg is quite common) during the summer months. That may drop to below 45 mpg (approximately 42-43 mpg is quite common) during the winter months. That's me driving a supposedly less efficient 5-speed manual & calculating the mpg (miles traveled divided by gallons needed to refill the gas tank) on my phone.

I would have to be traveling 75-85 mph, fighting strong winds, & using A/C to see numbers under 40 mpg. A Mirage can surely clip along above 70 mph, but it starts to lose a bit of its charm at those higher speeds in my opinion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (06-12-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If I were driving 65 mph for an hour & got under 40 mpg with my Mirage, I would feel something was wrong with my car. I don't place much value on the mpg gauge, but it's probably not off by much more than 1-2 mpg.
    our speedometer is off by like 5% your mpg is probably over estimated by at least that much. even hand calculated the higher speedometer reading will make you over-estimate your mpg.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    our speedometer is off by like 5% your mpg is probably over estimated by at least that much. even hand calculated the higher speedometer reading will make you over-estimate your mpg.
    I don't use the speedometer to calculate mpg at all. I use the odometer to calculate mpg, & according to google maps the speedometer of my Mirage with factory tires is not off by that much at all. It's way better than I originally thought.

If you leave Google maps on while you travel, it will show you the current speed limit in that location, your current speed, & it will warn you of potential speed traps up ahead.

Since I have nothing to hide, I could care less if Google maps is tracking me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-13-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't use the speedometer to calculate mpg at all. I use the odometer to calculate mpg, & according to google maps the speedometer of my Mirage with factory tires is not off by that much at all. It's way better than I originally thought.

If you leave Google maps on while you travel, it will show you the current speed limit in that location, your current speed, & it will warn you of potential speed traps up ahead.

Since I have nothing to hide, I could care less if Google maps is tracking me.
    Mark if your speedometer was inaccurate. naturally the odometer would also be inaccurate no?

Ive also used google maps equivalent (waze) to monitor my speed. with factory tires the car reports me as approx 3-5% faster. with larger 185/65/14 tires the speedometer appears to be deadon with google maps.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark if your speedometer was inaccurate. naturally the odometer would also be inaccurate no?

Ive also used google maps equivalent (waze) to monitor my speed. with factory tires the car reports me as approx 3-5% faster. with larger 185/65/14 tires the speedometer appears to be deadon with google maps.
    According to Google maps, my Mirage speedometer is not off by 3-5% with factory tires (inflated to approximately 40+ psi). My Mirage may vary 1 mph @ 60 mph, but it doesn't seem to ever be more than that. It's not like a Mirage has an easy to read digital speedometer to compare to the Google maps rating either.

I would not make the assumption the odometer is off with factory size tires even if the speedometer was off.

You can find statements like -
    "The accuracy of the speedometer in most vehicles, including Volkswagens, is generally within a few percentage points of actual speed," Tetzlaff says. "Odometer readings are designed to be quite accurate."

Likewise, you can find someone on the internet that will say the opposite of that, too! Some will claim odometers are not that accurate.

I am not going to get too hung up on this. I like calculating my mpg at the gas pump & resetting my trip odometer afterwards. If the numbers are way off, so be it.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (06-13-2022),Fummins (06-13-2022)

Correction, your speedometer is off not Marks. Mark doesn't live in Canada. His speedometer isn't off.

Naturally, not in this case. The speedometer(speed meter) is off in most canada spec Mirages(with stock size tires) not the odometer(distance meter). The speed gauge itself is off, the actual speed and distance readings by the ecu are correct though, monitor it with a scan tool and compare against a gps to see for yourself.
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-13-2022 at 12:42 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (06-13-2022),mohammad (06-13-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    My speedometer is only off about 1, maybe 2 mph at 70 mph. I shoot for 71 mph indicated and my gps reads 70 mph. But even if it were 2 mph off, that's 2.8% off. If I were to guess, I would say it is ~2% off.

However, the mpg display on the dash is, by many of my calculations, off by about 7%.

So, midengine, if you take that 50.3 mpg and multiply by 0.93, that's WAY closer to what you were actually averaging, and would come to 46.77 mpg. Which is TOTALLY legit for a Mirage to achieve that.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-13-2022)