Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruthenium spark plugs anyone? E85??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Remember E85 is less energy dense. sure its cheaper per gallon but you will also get less MPG's.

I dont have an opinion on spark plugs just get whatever. im not sure what you mean by "more warm" im 99% certain there's no measurable mpg difference if you change spark plugs unless yours are warn and miss-firing.
    Don't forget ethanol pulls away from the food supply of corn, and is more expensive to distill than it is to refine gas.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Life without some type of small economy car would suck these days.
    I totally get your point. However, certain cars almost make it worth the fuel expense. I had to drive my LS 460L a couple days this week. Just so happens the first of the 2 days I drove it in, we had a new guy start and 3 of us went to lunch together. It's the first lunch I've had with coworkers in over 2 years.

The LS is like riding in a limo. Then the 2nd day, I just had to get a picture of it sitting in front of the place I went to lunch that day. But the kicker is, the Mark Levinson sound system is to die for. I just can't get over how amazing that sound system is when I'm driving the car. It's mpg average on fuelly is 21.8. Not bad for a 380 hp V8. It's almost worth the extra fuel expense. Almost. The fact that I'm willing to drive a Mirage daily is an eye opener for just how great I think the Mirage is ... for the money.

Name:  AtNewks.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  91.7 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Basic (06-15-2022),inuvik (06-15-2022),mohammad (06-15-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I totally get your point. However, certain cars almost make it worth the fuel expense. I had to drive my LS 460L a couple days this week. Just so happens the first of the 2 days I drove it in, we had a new guy start and 3 of us went to lunch together. It's the first lunch I've had with coworkers in over 2 years.

The LS is like riding in a limo. Then the 2nd day, I just had to get a picture of it sitting in front of the place I went to lunch that day. But the kicker is, the Mark Levinson sound system is to die for. I just can't get over how amazing that sound system is when I'm driving the car. It's mpg average on fuelly is 21.8. Not bad for a 380 hp V8. It's almost worth the extra fuel expense. Almost. The fact that I'm willing to drive a Mirage daily is an eye opener for just how great I think the Mirage is ... for the money.

Name:  AtNewks.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  91.7 KB
    If I only owned one vehicle, it would not be the Mirage. The Mirage does affordability, reliability, and economy well, but it doesn't do everything well.

If gas was $1/gallon, I would still appreciate my Mirage. I like the thought of being practical, but I couldn't get by with just a Mirage unless I changed my lifestyle. If they owned one, I think a number of people would embrace their Mirage a bit more these days.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If I only owned one vehicle, it would not be the Mirage. The Mirage does affordability, reliability, and economy well, but it doesn't do everything well.

If gas was $1/gallon, I would still appreciate my Mirage. I like the thought of being practical, but I couldn't get by with just a Mirage unless I changed my lifestyle. If they owned one, I think a number of people would embrace their Mirage a bit more these days.
    100% agree. If there were a Mirage truck (same drivetrain, maybe a 6 speed manual (of course), maybe a 3 cylinder diesel), that *could* be my only vehicle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

100% agree. If there were a Mirage truck (same drivetrain, maybe a 6 speed manual (of course), maybe a 3 cylinder diesel), that *could* be my only vehicle.
    What about a Maverick(hybrid)? I watched a video of some guy doing a huge road trip in the ecoboost model(presumably an awd) and he was only getting about 22mpg. I thought that was pretty horrible, especially when I can get 20mpg in my old dually.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fummins - I know you know, so I'm preaching to the choir. I would prefer to have the simplicity of a N/A engine, versus any more complexity than that, including hybrid complexity. Preferably diesel. Although, I say that having never dealt with DEF fluid and all this new DPF crap. As I write this I'm like ... yeah, I'll just stick to gas. My ole 2000 Dodge Ram Cummins is a dream vehicle / engine. Pour some diesel fuel at it and drive, no emissions. Yet extremely efficient for the displacement and size of vehicle (7,130 pounds empty). But those days are gone, probably will never be that simple again.

Just slap a conservative 4-door body and a pickup truck bed on the Mirage underbody, with a 6 speed manual, and I'm sold. I would NOT hesitate. Course they'd have to revise the rear suspension too. But I wouldn't be looking for a Mega Cab. Same size as the cabin space in the HB, but with a bed in the back. Wow, what a vehicle.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Basic (06-15-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Problem

My son just texted me and said, "The blueberry is growing on me." He started driving the Blueberry this week because he is taking 1 summer class at his university. He goes to college just over an hour north, in Dirk Digglerland.

Because he was unable to get housing last school year, and is only taking 1 class, he's just commuting this summer. I calculated that between driving his 2007 Infiniti G35 (6 speed manual) and driving the Blueberry, it costs $10 less each time he goes up there and back in the Blueberry.

He's trying to keep his grades as high as possible to transfer to UGA or GT, so he decided to be up on campus every day (if possible) to put in the work. It's some advanced calculus class, and done over summer so it's rushed. He needs 2 or 3 days to grasp what is covered over each class (class only convenes 2 days a week).

All this to say, he's a responsible young man and agreed to drive the Blueberry to conserve fuel & money. And now he sent me the quote above. I guess it's good, but I may wind up driving the LS 460L more.

I had to drive the 460 because my Dodge was blocked in and I was doing some emissions repair to my dad's (now my) truck. See below.

Name:  Bed Tilt.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  78.9 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just slap a conservative 4-door body and a pickup truck bed on the Mirage underbody, with a 6 speed manual, and I'm sold. I would NOT hesitate. Course they'd have to revise the rear suspension too. But I wouldn't be looking for a Mega Cab. Same size as the cabin space in the HB, but with a bed in the back. Wow, what a vehicle.
    I agree that it would sell like hotcakes. Sign me up tomorrow.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I used to see a Miata pulling a trailer with gardening equipment or a snow blower on said trailer depending on the season.

Kinda considered the same for my Mirage for picking up truck race truck parts that are far away.

I've been on the lookout for a 10-12' trailer for a while now. I can add that to the list of things that I wish I never sold.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)