Thread: New Mirage owner here. Thanks for this forum

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Cool New Mirage owner here. Thanks for this forum

Hi all,

just put a deposit on a new to me 2017 White ES CVT with under 60000 kms (37000 miles).

I had been looking for ages. Wanted a new one, but ended up going with this well maintained 2017. So grateful for this forum. When looking at the carfax report I noticed an axel replacement had been done which lead me here to discover the rear axel alignment problem extensively outlined here. I'm hoping that the replacement has fixed the problem, but thanks to this forum I will request that the shop confirms in spec alignment before I sign on the dotted line.

If it's out of spec I'll pass on this and put myself on the waitlist for a new one. But I'm hopeful all will be well and I'll be on the road in my mirage next week when the shop is done their pre-purchase inspections.

Grateful for this forum. I wish I had caught on to these little cars years ago, but better late than never.

Plan on installing cruise control, but except for that missing feature the car feels just about perfect to me. I come from a long line of people that buy cars near the end of their life and drive them into the ground. I do think that is generally a smart financial move. However, I'm excited to have discovered this car that actually makes good sense to buy with life in it. Everything you need and nothing you don't. I wish the canadian base trims were as well spec'ed out as they are south of the boarder. If they were, I would likely have waited on a new one, but I'm happy for my 2017. This is the closest thing to a new car that I've ever purchased. Finally feel like at adult. (at 40).

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gokartkid For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (06-18-2022),Fummins (06-20-2022),MetroMPG (06-22-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Welcome aboard! You sure picked the right time to buy one of these cars. Post up some pics when you get the chance!

Welcome. I too finally feel like I made a decent adult decision by driving one of these turds. I finally have something cheap to drive that won't break down constantly.
    Is yours the base base model with no bluetooth or AC?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Welcome. I too finally feel like I made a decent adult decision by driving one of these turds. I finally have something cheap to drive that won't break down constantly.
    Is yours the base base model with no bluetooth or AC?

It's an ES, but it has bluetooth and A/C. No cruise, which i really want. I'll probably have the Rostra kit installed at some point. Probably the worst time in the world to buy a car, but I'm telling myself the gas mileage will make up for the current inflated prices. Just got word that the rear axle is all good so I'm happy that I snagged one with such low miles that has been well maintained.

I'm used to driving 15-20 year old cars all the time, so a five hear old mirage actually feels semi luxury to me. lol.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks. Will do I pick it up later this week!

Quote Originally Posted by gokartkid View Post
    It's an ES, but it has bluetooth and A/C. No cruise, which i really want. I'll probably have the Rostra kit installed at some point. Probably the worst time in the world to buy a car, but I'm telling myself the gas mileage will make up for the current inflated prices. Just got word that the rear axle is all good so I'm happy that I snagged one with such low miles that has been well maintained.

I'm used to driving 15-20 year old cars all the time, so a five hear old mirage actually feels semi luxury to me. lol.
    Thats how our work cars are. They’re es plus models so you get cruise, ac and keyless entry. At least I think that’s how they were that year?

You probably have all the wiring in place for cruise so you can just install the correct switch in the steering wheel then have it activated. I had the Rostra cruise in my previous Mirage. I prefer the oem setup by far.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-22-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Thats how our work cars are. They’re es plus models so you get cruise, ac and keyless entry. At least I think that’s how they were that year?

You probably have all the wiring in place for cruise so you can just install the correct switch in the steering wheel then have it activated. I had the Rostra cruise in my previous Mirage. I prefer the oem setup by far.

I would way prefer to do the OEM set up. Can’t find a dealership that will do it for me. Do you know where to buy the switch? I see them on Ali express but some say they don’t work. Will definitely investigate further. Still have five years of warranty left so I don’t want to do anything that will void it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    gokartkid - If you had the buttons added and the system activated, first of all, probably most dealers would never know it didn't come that way. And second of all, the only warranty that would be voided would be warranty related to adding that system. However, a dealer will try to void rear brake warranty (for example) over adding the cruise like you want to do, but the Magnusson-Moss Act prevents them from doing so. Unless a consumer knows that, the dealer will take advantage. I'm sure it happens all day every day.

I personally think your risk level to add the OEM switch and program it is very close to zero. Good look with it in any event and congrats on your 2017!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Belated welcome, gokartkid!!

I'm also a buy-cheap-car-drive-until-dead kind of guy.

The Mirage blows up that paradigm: with a bit of patience, you can find decent ones with LOTS of life left in them for "beater" car money! I'm on my 3rd one.

You're gonna love it. What's your current car?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)