Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternator Bracket

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Alternator Bracket

Looks like I need one.

Mitsubishi Parts has it, but I’d prefer local pickup (like today). Other than car-part, what other junkyard website is there to find total’s mirage in my area?

Attached Images Attached Images  

https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/part...I&model=MIRAGE

Houston Northville LKQ and LKQ PICK YOUR PART - HOUSTON WALLISVILLE both show 2015 Mirages in their yards.
    If those are both gone you could try to have someone attempt to weld yours back together. I'd be surprised if any full serve wrecker would bother looking or even pulling that part for you. Better off trying a pick a part, or if you're handy find a piece of metal and make your own bracket.
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-20-2022 at 04:18 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would totally have attempted to use an over-the-shelf weld product in case I couldn’t pick one up locally; at least until the new part comes in.

I kinda feel ripped off as I paid $35 for this part at a local junkyard/parts store. Apparently it’s from a 2020. I definitely preferred to have the part installed today so I guess that’s the price I have to pay.

For what it’s worth, I used car-part then called several local places.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I would totally have attempted to use an over-the-shelf weld product in case I couldn’t pick one up locally; at least until the new part comes in.

I kinda feel ripped off as I paid $35 for this part at a local junkyard/parts store. Apparently it’s from a 2020. I definitely preferred to have the part installed today so I guess that’s the price I have to pay.

For what it’s worth, I used car-part then called several local places.
    I'd be happy that someone even helped you let alone that quickly. Nobody works for free.

My old boss at the wrecker used to throw parts in the garbage if would be customers tried dickering or complaining about the price of something after already being quoted ahead of time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-20-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Apparently the belt failed while the car was being driven. As they replaced the belt, they noticed a crack on the alternator bracket. Wonder how that happened in less than 15k miles and a little over a year ago?

Could the bracket have been a casualty of the belt breaking?

The compressor has been making some squealing sounds with the belt. Perhaps the compressor finally seized and killed the belt? Perhaps the alignment was off which quickly did a number on the belt? Is that even possible?

Edit: I found the crack a year ago when I replaced the belt. So both the belt and the bracket are a year old - but real age of bracket unknown.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Apparently the belt failed while the car was being driven. As they replaced the belt, they noticed a crack on the alternator bracket. Wonder how that happened in less than 15k miles and a little over a year ago?

Could the bracket have been a casualty of the belt breaking?

The compressor has been making some squealing sounds with the belt. Perhaps the compressor finally seized and killed the belt? Perhaps the alignment was off which quickly did a number on the belt? Is that even possible?

Edit: I found the crack a year ago when I replaced the belt. So both the belt and the bracket are a year old - but real age of bracket unknown.
    I would inspect the belt tensioner and then check pully alignment, seized compressor is possible too. How many total miles?
    2022 Mirage ES [5MT/Infrared/OEM+] / 2015 CR-V EX [CVT/Black Pearl/Modded]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not sure how many miles currently. Can’t imagine over 130k though.

I’d even say it’s done less than 15k since last year - when I changed the belt and alternator bracket.

Speaking of, I thought the bracket WAS the tensioner?

Not sure how many miles currently. Can’t imagine over 130k though.

I’d even say it’s done less than 15k since last year - when I changed the belt and alternator bracket.

Speaking of, I thought the bracket WAS the tensioner?
    So the bracket cracked a second time? Yeah that is the tensioner….car things is difficult. I think I’ve only changed one bracket so far that broke off near where it bolts to the cylinder head, only notice it when I replaced the belt and it came apart. Was broken for some time. I’d guess either you got two crappy brackets in a row and have horrible luck or the bolts weren’t tight enough. Belts normally last longer than that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    So the bracket cracked a second time? Yeah that is the tensioner.
    Didn't look very close before but I see what you mean. Interesting.

Seconding Fummin's opinion. Possible bad part, and ensuring new one is aligned and in tension spec if it's manually adjustable like that never hurts.
    2022 Mirage ES [5MT/Infrared/OEM+] / 2015 CR-V EX [CVT/Black Pearl/Modded]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jonesboro For This Useful Post:

Ares (07-07-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    So the bracket cracked a second time? Yeah that is the tensioner….car things is difficult. I think I’ve only changed one bracket so far that broke off near where it bolts to the cylinder head, only notice it when I replaced the belt and it came apart. Was broken for some time. I’d guess either you got two crappy brackets in a row and have horrible luck or the bolts weren’t tight enough. Belts normally last longer than that.
    The first one lasted over 100k miles - which seems reasonable to me. I was expecting at least 50k on the new-to-me (last year) part since it looked like it may have been under 15k miles.