Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirage CVT transmission problems and cold climate operation?

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mirage CVT transmission problems and cold climate operation?

Hi, im wondering if there are any CVT problems out there and does anybody know how the CVT behaves itself in cold climates like Nort Canada where it gets up to -40C, would it be better to have a Manual Transmission or the CVT would handle cold temperatures?

I would choose the manual myself. You can shift it at whatever RPM you like, vs. being subjected to higher engine speeds controlled by the computer after a cold start.

It's normal thought... all automatics do this.

Did you order the CVT?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

MyNewMirage (04-29-2014)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I signed the papers for the purchase of a CVT Mirage but the vehicle is still at dealer and i havent paid my downpayment yet, so now i found this website and was wondering about CVT performance, specially in Canadian winter, and also i would assume that a MT would perform better for driving in hilly areas

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I still think you should get MT in Canada

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Do you think they'll let me change my mind at this point and let me choose a different Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If they want a happy customer they will. I guess it depends on what the papers you signed say. It sounds to me like a tatic to make you to feel obligated to purchase, since they couldn't get any cash out of you.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    yeah, so they did not let me change my mirage for a standard one, i hope the CVT not going to give me any troubles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As long as the loooooooooong paperwork have not been signed, you are not under contract for anything.

I'm sure it'll be fine -- Mitsu & Nissan in particular have tons of them on the road. My guess is you preferred the idea of an automatic or you wouldn't have ordered one in the first place.

When do you get the car?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Edlupp View Post
    yeah, so they did not let me change my mirage for a standard one, i hope the CVT not going to give me any troubles.
    It gets cold here in Winterpeg.

1. 20 years ago a mechanic told me "automatics are better now - there is no reason to get a manual, unless you like shifting gears - automatics are as reliable as the rest of the car".

2. I know several people that have CVT's in Nissans, and several who have bought a second Nissan, being well pleased with the first. They have never complained about any CVT issues with cold starts or not.

3. 10 year powertrain warranty.

4. Read the owner's manual. It may be a myth, or something from a different type of car, but it is possible that warming up the engine with the gear shift in neutral is preferable to leaving it in park (something to do with ATF, I assume). It might have specific instructions. Obviously, when a block heater is available you will want one of those.

5. Enjoy the car - let us know how it is working out for you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-20-2014)