Thread: Mobil 1 onsale at CTC

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Mobil 1 onsale at CTC

$32.99/4.73l

I'm going to get a couple of jugs of Advanced Fuel Economy to see what gains I can get.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    $32.99/4.73l

I'm going to get a couple of jugs of Advanced Fuel Economy to see what gains I can get.
    You recently shared this -

"I'm actually looking forward now to oil changes and will probably stay with 2x annually as I drive 8-10K miles/yr. Doing this my 113L stash of Mobil 1 will last 13 years."

You currently have 113 liters (approximately 30 gallons) of Mobil 1, & you are going to buy more motor oil for your Mirage?

That's a bit alarming. I would find a hobby or something else to do.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Say what? Lol, I didn't factor in my saturn nor my bikes. Saturn alone is 2 jugs/yr. or as much as both mirages. still have my Burgmans/garden tractor/snowblower after that. The concern is noted but till I start asking the forum members to subsidize my expenses perhaps it's my choice?

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Say what? Lol, I didn't factor in my saturn nor my bikes. Saturn alone is 2 jugs/yr. or as much as both mirages. still have my Burgmans/garden tractor/snowblower after that. The concern is noted but till I start asking the forum members to subsidize my expenses perhaps it's my choice?
    I don't mean to jerk your chain, but you do have a stockpile of Mobil 1 oil. Given today's prices, that's great! It's awesome that you are sharing a great sale price with members, too! Do you plan on using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0W20 oil in all the things you listed?

I would have guessed Saturn vehicles using something like a 5W30 oil, but I never owned a Saturn.

I wish everything that I owned used the same motor oil, because it would make life much simpler. Just off the top of my head, I am currently buying at least 6 different grades/types of oil for my stuff. That's if I stick to engine oils, however.

1- 1985 & 1996 Honda ATVs use a specific blend of oil, because their manual transmisson with automatic clutches are a part of their engine oil.

2- 2006 Kawasaki Mule - use a UTV blend of oil

3- 1993 John Deere rider, two push mowers, log splitter, pressure washer, rototiller - use the same conventional oil in all of them.

4- 1994 McCulloch gas trimmer, 2000 Poulan, 2006 Jonsered, & mid-1990s Husqvarna (was my dad's) chainsaws all used a 2-stroke oil mix.

5- Late 1970s vintage Bolens G174 4WD diesel tractor - uses a heavy duty diesel oil.

6- 2017 Mirage & 2011 Forester - full synthetic - been using up any 0W20 I had left by mixing it with 5W30 full synthetic. I plan on using 5W30 full synthetic oil changed every 5000 miles from now on. I don't always put 5,000 miles/year on my Forester these days, but I will change it at least once a year.

7- Just remember a 7th oil - I just bought a couple gallon jugs of bar & chain oil for my chainsaws the other day. It's not really an engine oil, but it's priced like it. I am also not including the hydraulic oil in my log splitter (use automatic transmission fluid), tractor hydraulic fluid, riding lawnmower transmission, & the transmission fluids for my vehicles.

My 5 year old Mirage still seems new when I compare it to my other stuff.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-21-2022 at 03:45 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I hear ya. I cannot believe my car is >5 years. It felt like I picked it up yesterday.

As for the oil, ya, I'm going to run the stuff I have in everything. I didn't mention but I have a couple jugs 10-40 synth I can blend with the 0-20 for the Saturn and the Burgmans are likely OK 0-20 but I may blend a bit there too. I also have some 2 stroke junk, chainsaws, string trimmers, small Honda gen so I'm going to experiment with a spare string trimmer I have ,see how well it digests 0-20 synth mixed 50-1. 2 stroke oil is stupidly high price these days. It's really just a low ash single weight oil, weight? No clue. Oh ya, there's also a 9.9hp LS Johnson I have for trolling.

I'm going to change my Saturn at least yearly also, even if the mileage is low. I think my kid will pile on the miles for her Mirage as she said she will live at home and commute to uni. Which one? I dunno yet but the ones she favors are roughly an hour away. Hell, everything for her is a hour away from where she lives. Man, I hated the rinky dink town we were in. Full of idiots in Bimmers/SEL560/Cayennes. But I digress. It wasn't like that when I moved there, it grew into that.

Isn't having ICE stuff a blast? ugh. All electric is appealing but with a history of failed expensive Royobi/Makita/Dewalt tool batteries in my past anything battery powered is a bomb waiting to detonate in my hands.

I hear ya. I cannot believe my car is >5 years. It felt like I picked it up yesterday.

As for the oil, ya, I'm going to run the stuff I have in everything. I didn't mention but I have a couple jugs 10-40 synth I can blend with the 0-20 for the Saturn and the Burgmans are likely OK 0-20 but I may blend a bit there too. I also have some 2 stroke junk, chainsaws, string trimmers, small Honda gen so I'm going to experiment with a spare string trimmer I have ,see how well it digests 0-20 synth mixed 50-1. 2 stroke oil is stupidly high price these days. It's really just a low ash single weight oil, weight? No clue. Oh ya, there's also a 9.9hp LS Johnson I have for trolling.

I'm going to change my Saturn at least yearly also, even if the mileage is low. I think my kid will pile on the miles for her Mirage as she said she will live at home and commute to uni. Which one? I dunno yet but the ones she favors are roughly an hour away. Hell, everything for her is a hour away from where she lives. Man, I hated the rinky dink town we were in. Full of idiots in Bimmers/SEL560/Cayennes. But I digress. It wasn't like that when I moved there, it grew into that.

Isn't having ICE stuff a blast? ugh. All electric is appealing but with a history of failed expensive Royobi/Makita/Dewalt tool batteries in my past anything battery powered is a bomb waiting to detonate in my hands.
    I've haven't heard many great things about the new electric F150. Range drops when towing, range drops when it's cold out. I see one across the street from my work daily. And it's plugged in most of the time that I see it.

But on the other side, the guy I bought my current car from had a hybrid kia and a bolt iirc. He had a relatively long highway commute. I suppose if you're racking up the miles and figure electricity is cheaper than gas then an ev might make perfect sense. For me, I just don't drive enough to justify buying an ev. It'd never pay for itself unless gas becomes ridiculously more expensive and electricity prices don't follow...

I have a friend that blows 1200-1500/month on fuel for his 6.2L Silverado commuter truck and wife's ecoturd escape. I found that pretty amusing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I have a friend that blows 1200-1500/month on fuel for his 6.2L Silverado commuter truck and wife's ecoturd escape. I found that pretty amusing.
    Gulp. That is amusing. I bet he could hire a service and get driven about for that kind of coin. I chuckle when I think of EV light duty (F150 class) and commercial EV trucks like Elon is promising. There is nothing out there, short of uranium, that packs as much energy as a gallon of diesel. Nothing. EV will work out for passenger cars and that is it. There still isn't enough energy in Lions to move 120,000 lbs any great distance over the road. Commercial trucks may need 2000A of charging current to get enough juice in an hour for a few hundred kms of range. Standardized, swappable batteries as a service are the only way going forward. Robots can do the work in a covered bay, 1 battery for a car, multiple (4,5,10, who knows for a truck). The stations are all networked and the real time data about battery availability/wait times are all fed to the vehicles. Batteries that come out are tested then charged for service. Musk has to realize at some point making the same style car will be passe and consumers will want more choice. Enough mindless rambling