Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Sway Bar

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

RIP Sway Bar

I had the first batch of sway bars from Doax. I guess it finally gave way. Not sure what caused it as it was powder coated and then I painted over it. 2 weeks ago I heard sqeaking but nothing was noticeable. Just noticed ot today and one side snapped off. Just letting you know if you hear sqeaking then check the sway bar.

I'm pretty happy with the sway bar. At least it didn't rust away like the Ultra Racing one and didn't cost $200+

I guess it works out at the end. I couldn't access the airlift bags due to the bar blocking under the coils.
    Name:  IMG_20220622_182719.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  93.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_20220622_182819.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  89.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_20220622_182847.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  73.0 KB

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    I had the first batch of sway bars from Doax. I guess it finally gave way. Not sure what caused it as it was powder coated and then I painted over it. 2 weeks ago I heard sqeaking but nothing was noticeable. Just noticed ot today and one side snapped off. Just letting you know if you hear sqeaking then check the sway bar.

I'm pretty happy with the sway bar. At least it didn't rust away like the Ultra Racing one and didn't cost $200+

I guess it works out at the end. I couldn't access the airlift bags due to the bar blocking under the coils.
    Name:  IMG_20220622_182719.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  93.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_20220622_182819.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  89.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_20220622_182847.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  73.0 KB
    My first edition broke in the exact same spot. I don't want to say much about the last edition on my Mirage, because it might jinx it!

Those rear axles twist pretty easily. I think those rear sway bars are working quite hard.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It looks like the paint was holding up well. any idea why/how the inside of the tube became rusty?

Does anyone here think painting the inside of the tube with a rust inhibitor or using a spring steel less prone to rust would have made a difference here?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    its bound to happen, unless replace the pipe with a different materials like the one on the torsion bar.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    It looks like the paint was holding up well. any idea why/how the inside of the tube became rusty?

Does anyone here think painting the inside of the tube with a rust inhibitor or using a spring steel less prone to rust would have made a difference here?
    Paint, rust, & weld are not the issue. The pipe itself can't handle the force of the twisting. The weld didn't break on my first sway bar. The pipe twisted off near the weld. Did the heat of the welding weaken the pipe? Maybe?

I don't think anything could be done to make those last longer. A solid bar versus a pipe may last longer, but that's what the UR rear sway is -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17516095264...xoCK4sQAvD_BwE

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    My first edition broke in the exact same spot. I don't want to say much about the last edition on my Mirage, because it might jinx it!

Those rear axles twist pretty easily. I think those rear sway bars are working quite hard.
    Thats what I figured. I'm assuming some angles I went over speedbumps because of the odd turn angles in some areas may have caused the flex in the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post

I can't say if it became rusty before I realized it snapped. I will take it off tomorrow morning and examine the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Paint, rust, & weld are not the issue. The pipe itself can't handle the force of the twisting. The weld didn't break on my first sway bar. The pipe twisted off near the weld. Did the heat of the welding weaken the pipe? Maybe?

I don't think anything could be done to make those last longer. A solid bar versus a pipe may last longer, but that's what the UR rear sway is -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17516095264...xoCK4sQAvD_BwE
    To ask for clarification, is the UR bar a pipe or solid piece. I probably won't get another sway bar and just slap my rear strut bar back on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did a quick search. So softer springs/suspension put more stress on the bar. I was running my coilovers most of the lifespan of the swaybar but switched back to stock and got aftermarket monroe shocks for the back. I think if you have stiffer suspension you should be fine but the soft OEM suspension might be putting too much stress on the bar.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

Basic (06-23-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post

To ask for clarification, is the UR bar a pipe or solid piece. I probably won't get another sway bar and just slap my rear strut bar back on.
    The UR is a solid smaller diameter bar, but I have seen those busted on a Mirage, too. The bar will bust off the end plates. May be able to have it welded back in that case, however.

Those axles are suprisingly flimsy. Jack up the car and remove both shock bolts, the axle will flop around. I agree, unless the pipe was designed and built to twist then it'll last until it doesn't.
    I looked into trying to install a Cavalier front sway bar on the rear of my car but got lazy.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Those axles are suprisingly flimsy. Jack up the car and remove both shock bolts, the axle will flop around. I agree, unless the pipe was designed and built to twist then it'll last until it doesn't.
    I looked into trying to install a Cavalier front sway bar on the rear of my car but got lazy.
    Are these axles hollow beam? I bet the best bet would be an O-bar which goes inside of the beam. Folks get worried because you have to drill holes, but they seem to be the best all around, no problems unit in the long run...

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)