Thread: Engine Differences - CVT vs Manual

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Engine Differences - CVT vs Manual

I'm likely picking up a spare engine for my Turbo Mirage project tomorrow. Guy at the wrecker's was adamant that the engines from cvt and manual equipped cars were different. Does anyone specifically know the differences and if they really matter?

The only info I could find was the difference in exhaust cams, and maybe the oil coolers are different (if they both even come with one)

'17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

I think the 2017 and newer cvt engines had 2 roller cams? There's a thread around here that talks about engine changes. I was just at my buddies wrecker last weekend. They have no interchange for most Mirage parts. The few parts they do isn't based off of Mitsubishi's part numbers, they likely just use wrecker provided info.

When I ordered the engine for mine from Lkq I just told them I had a 2017 Mirage and that's what they offered me. Before hand I looked up each model year and figured out what they had in stock before I called. I took a gamble on the cvt cause I have the early production 2014 model that has a different part number than late 14 and newer...It worked fine.

I can't remember which engine Loren installed in his car? It was a 5 speed though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks, that's a good start. I don't see a significant difference in these engines. Having more part numbers increases production cost.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    But the roller cam makes all the difference. Before, these things were as slow as Christmas. With the roller cam, these things are absolute bullets.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    But the roller cam makes all the difference. Before, these things were as slow as Christmas. With the roller cam, these things are absolute bullets.
    I don't notice a difference between the 15 and 17's at work. They're all slugs except for the used 2017 that we just bought. That thing is a rocket! It's a completely different car. It has better throttle response than every other one I've driven lately. It also revs a lot higher when first started cold, maybe I missed a dozen or two recalls with the work cars? I know mine has a stack of recall notices in the glove box lol.

I skimmed through Lorens engine thread. His car was a 2015 MT and he installed a 2017 Engine but I don't know if it was from a 5 spd or Cvt car. The only difference I'd look for is the end of the crankshaft but I don't think these turds even have a pilot bearing?

He said the cvt 2017 engine had 2 roller cams, the 2017 5spd only had one roller cam. I dunno why that is? I pulled a valve cover off an engine years ago. I'll have to try and find the pics again.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    So the motor I picked up ended up being one from a manual anyway. On the bright side, it came with a clutch and the motor has 53K on it, so the clutch might be in good usable shape.

'17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pimp_Daddy_Patty For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-25-2022)