Thread: 2 catalytic converters??

Banned
    Country
    Aruba
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question 2 catalytic converters??

I have a 2015 mirage DE manual from the US. Are there actually 2? I only found just the 1. Or is the 1st one integrated inside of the exhaust manifold??

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    i believe is just one converter integrated near the manifold. Note that i think 2017 model has a different design of manifold and maybe converter

you can see a photo of the converter in post number 1 here: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...y-SuperCircuit
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Actually it does have two cat's. The first is part of the manifold, either of earlier or later design. The second is the little muffler-like thing immediately following. It is mounted slanted in the end of the curved area between driver's and front passengers feet.
    You could consider the second cat as a scavenger, removing whatever was untouched by the first and main catalyst. The main catalyst does practically all of the job by itself.
    In this country, removing, defeating, or changing anything on the cars emission control system is a crime, with draconian punishment. Doing anything as your link above shows, would get certainly you in jail for a long time for multiple good reasons.

Name:  cat.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  13.9 KB
    Last edited by foama; 06-26-2022 at 09:25 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-26-2022)

Banned
    Country
    Aruba
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by minibishi2 View Post
    I have a 2015 mirage DE manual from the US. Are there actually 2? I only found just the 1. Or is the 1st one integrated inside of the exhaust manifold??
    Ill use my bore scope and have a look into the manifold later to know for sure.

Front cat is part of the exhaust manifold in 2017 and newer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    These regulatory types just dont embrace modern bluetooth cat technology like we racers do.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pimp_Daddy_Patty For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-27-2022)

Banned
    Country
    Aruba
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Actually it does have two cat's. The first is part of the manifold, either of earlier or later design. The second is the little muffler-like thing immediately following. It is mounted slanted in the end of the curved area between driver's and front passengers feet.
    You could consider the second cat as a scavenger, removing whatever was untouched by the first and main catalyst. The main catalyst does practically all of the job by itself.
    In this country, removing, defeating, or changing anything on the cars emission control system is a crime, with draconian punishment. Doing anything as your link above shows, would get certainly you in jail for a long time for multiple good reasons.

Name:  cat.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  13.9 KB
    Looks like Ill need a longer pry bar for my hammering

Banned
    Country
    Aruba
    Thanks
    Just to update anyone interested in this. The car now has 0 cats, came with 2 for sure as foama mentioned.. Anyways extremely loud. But also getting between 54-59mpg now while going between 50 and 55mph!!!! Mind you before this I was lucky to be getting around 42.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to minibishi2 For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-29-2022)

Simply amazing.

Last edited by Fummins; 06-29-2022 at 08:47 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)