Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 200,000 miles: First major repair!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts

200,000 miles: First major repair!

Well, not super major.

Over the last few months I have noticed a clicking or clacking sound when taking off from a stop with the wheels turned at any kind of angle. Now that the weather has finally cleared up and I can drive around with the windows down I have heard it even more.

The CV joints have finally worn to the point they make noise and it looks like I am due for a set of replacement half-shafts. Noise is on the driver's side, but I don't see much point in only replacing one axle. Much to my surprise I have found brand new aftermarket shafts on Ebay for a very reasonable price. I thought for sure I'd have to make due with used ones, take a chance on 'remanufactured' ones, or pay the $800 EACH Mitsubishi wants for new OEM axles.

This car has been so reliable I really can't complain and I should probably change the gear oil in the trans anyway. Has anyone installed a set of these aftermarket shafts before?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-28-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Just curious...are any of the boots torn?

Have you replaced any wheel bearings in you car yet?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-28-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Just curious...are any of the boots torn?

Have you replaced any wheel bearings in you car yet?
    Negative and negative. I know that a boot tear and 'grease release' are the usual culprits for noisy CV shafts, but these wore out with the boots and grease intact. With 200k city miles I am not surprised.

Wheel bearings are original in the front and it might not be a terrible idea to swap them out since I will have it all apart anyway.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-28-2022),Top_Fuel (06-28-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Wheel bearings are original in the front and it might not be a terrible idea to swap them out since I will have it all apart anyway.
    If I have my car long enough for a CV joint to fail, that's my plan.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

I'd consider making sure those abs sensors pop out of the knuckle? I'm starting to see those things rust in place and get effered up. I can't remember if you can press the bearings out with the sensors in place.; Me thinks not. At least not without making a modifying or making a tool.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (06-28-2022),inuvik (06-28-2022),Top_Fuel (06-28-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Coming from my past life (TDI VWs) you would trust an unknown mileage OEM junkyard unit before you would ANY aftermarket except Raxles. I guess it probably wont be as big of a problem in a car with 1/4 of the torque, but did you check any pick and pulls? Might be difficult to find a 14-15 5MT with low miles...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'd consider making sure those abs sensors pop out of the knuckle? I'm starting to see those things rust in place and get effered up. I can't remember if you can press the bearings out with the sensors in place.; Me thinks not. At least not without making a modifying or making a tool.
    When I swap them I'll likely swap the entire spindle out with low-mile used ones. Might even just swap the entire strut assembly. Saves me the bearing and sensor hassle. Even though my struts and shocks are not leaking it can't hurt to change them at this mileage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Coming from my past life (TDI VWs) you would trust an unknown mileage OEM junkyard unit before you would ANY aftermarket except Raxles. I guess it probably wont be as big of a problem in a car with 1/4 of the torque, but did you check any pick and pulls? Might be difficult to find a 14-15 5MT with low miles...
    Are the axles different on the '17-up 5MT cars? I don't mind being the guinea pig with these aftermarket axles. I just hope they fit. I feel better knowing they are new and not 'remanufactured'. 'Remanufactured', when it comes to halfshafts, usually means they disassemble a worn out axle, dunk everything in parts cleaner, spray paint all the parts shiny black, pack in new grease, put on new boots, and ship 'em out.

I remember buying reman axles for my Geo Metro back in the day and having to go through THREE of them before finally getting one that didn't make as much noise or more as the one I took out!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Are the axles different on the '17-up 5MT cars? I don't mind being the guinea pig with these aftermarket axles. I just hope they fit. I feel better knowing they are new and not 'remanufactured'. 'Remanufactured', when it comes to halfshafts, usually means they disassemble a worn out axle, dunk everything in parts cleaner, spray paint all the parts shiny black, pack in new grease, put on new boots, and ship 'em out.

I remember buying reman axles for my Geo Metro back in the day and having to go through THREE of them before finally getting one that didn't make as much noise or more as the one I took out!
    I thought for some reason the axles at least had a different part number, but now I question myself...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

I don't know if 5spd axles are different(unless the transmissions are different for 2017?) but cvt axles are the same for 15-17(I haven't tried other years but assume they're the same), same goes for spindles(minus caliper bracket).
    The only aftermarket axles I ever bought were some chinese ebay specials for my old rzr. They were cheap but they worked, were quiet and had larger shaft diameter than the oem ones.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (06-28-2022),Top_Fuel (06-28-2022)