Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Timing chain loose w/o any error lights? Dealership or Local Repair?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Those are some excellent pictures. Adding my 2 cents about the rollers. The rollers themselves look like potential trouble. Looks like with enough wear they'll stop rolling. How many miles (assuming proper lubrication), I have not a clue. But the non-roller ones I would think would be more reliable. Just my 2 cents, I could be wrong. I was wrong one time before.
    Here's another 2 cents on the roller cam

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

mohammad (07-06-2022)

Then the flip side of having a roller valve train....it's now one more thing to fail.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (07-06-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Here's another 2 cents on the roller cam
    I'm curious, because I authentically do not know. Did you get that quote from Mitsubishi?

It actually sounds like someone with a dotted line relationship to the automotive industry.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

I'm curious, because I authentically do not know. Did you get that quote from Mitsubishi?

It actually sounds like someone with a dotted line relationship to the automotive industry.
    Here's an article from 2015 (5th paragraph) https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/15...ing%20properly.

Then here's another from 2019 claiming SuperChevy(magazine?) as the source. I didn't find the SuperChevy article instantly so gave up looking. https://www.theengineblock.com/battl...lid-hydraulic/ Who was first? Or is superchevy motortrend? Probably.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

It was the SuperChevy article. There's enough out there that backs it up, IMHO. Or they could be blowing smoke. But what Ive read makes sense. There's one on MotorTrend that talks about better for high revs, which we definitely have. I certainly do with the 5 speed when I'm winding it out to merge.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-06-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's another good article on some of the advantages of roller cam.

https://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm...product_id=100

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    I'm probably wrong. But as a person who has, and continues to have to design similar stuff it automatically occurs in my mind that those rollers won't last as long as the cam itself, or as long as the non-roller cam. Those items are exposed to tremendous wear (high heat, lots of forces, force on / force off, and doing so rapidly). If that roller gets worn somewhat to the point where it throws it off balance, it might start to NOT roll. Proper lubrication is a smidge more important with these roller cam engines.

I'm sure the engineers tested it out the ying-yang. So, I'm not going to have the first sleepless night over it. But I certainly agree they would be better for high rpm performance and would also reduce the spinning assembly drag ... which increases efficiency. So I'm a proponent of them, it's just that my mind looks at them and starts imagining problems. Stupid mind, settle down!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

I'm probably(hopefully) pointing out the obvious here. The "roller cam" in those articles is just a regular-looking cam designed for use with roller lifters?

The Mirage camshaft(s) have the rollers built into the camshaft(s) lobe(s). They both have rollers in the valvetrain but in different places.

Looking again at the pics I posted, the early non-roller Mirage cams look like a typical 1 piece cam. Does the later roller style look like it's been assembled in multiple pieces? 1 shaft and the seperate lobes pressed on later?

I don't tear many engines apart anymore at this job so don't know, are there other mfg's that make camshafts like the Mirage's with the rollers built into the lobes?
    Last edited by Fummins; 07-07-2022 at 01:38 PM. Reason: added link to pics

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The Mirage camshaft(s) have the rollers built into the camshaft(s) lobe(s). They both have rollers in the valvetrain but in different places.
    I forgot all about that. From this old thread...

Name:  roller_cam.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  96.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)