Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Mirage HVAC Issue

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2020 Mirage HVAC Issue

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I've stopped by. I bought a 2017 Mirage G4 new in 2017 and still own it until this day. I've not had a bit of trouble with it thus far. There is an open recall on it that I've not had time to address. Something to do with the SRS system that has to be flashed. It hasn't caused me any trouble so I haven't worried about it much. My wife totaled her 2015 Chrysler Town & Country in November of 2019. The insurance company furnished her a rental for a week but the claim wound up taking several weeks longer than that. So I let her drive my G4 until she could settle up with the insurance company. In the meantime she was working on a deal with her brother in law for a 2006 Lexus 430 with low mileage and had been meticulously maintained by Lexus. That fell through and then she says to me that she really likes my G4. I would have never believed it knowing that she's always driven larger vehicles.

Well, I went and bought her a 2020 Mirage in January 2021 and all I can say is that I was upset about all of the upgrades Mitsubishi did from 2017 to 2020. I couldn't get factory cruise control on my G4 in 2017 so I had to buy an aftermarket setup. I actually have a thread about it here that I had no idea is still going strong apparently since I haven't gotten any notifications about it. So, this 2020 Mirage ES I bought has factory cruise, Bluetooth audio/phone controls and climate control HVAC. That was the only thing that I didn't like about it when I bought it. My concerns became reality in March of this year when the button for the a/c compressor started sticking. I brought it back to the dealer and they were able to free it up with some kind of graphite spray. But he went ahead and ordered me a new control unit under warranty. I asked the service manager what that puppy was gonna cost me when it failed out of warranty. Over 900 bucks he told me. OUCH! Well, everything has been fine until today. I had the a/c on with it recirculating and it was working fine and then it sounded like something changed in the duct work. It quit blowing out of the dash vents and I can't really tell where it's coming out now. There's a little air coming out of the dash but not much. If you take it out of the recirculate mode and put it into the fresh air mode, the air returns to the dash. So I suspect a blend door or actuator issue. I was just wondering if anyone here has had the same issue and what it turned out to be. It's still under warranty, but I'm curious if it's been a known issue.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    For a start, you could check the cabin air filter, which is behind the glove compartment. While you are at it, you could check the window function for recirculation/non-recirculation which is right next by. Costs nothing and is quick and easy to do. See the FSM for details.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Patrick_Henry (07-06-2022)

Yeah, pop the glove box out or just drop it down to access the cabin filter. It's relatively common to have plastic bags or other crap get sucked out of the glove box and into the heater box from the door on the top. It might be the recirculation door? I dunno...I've had a couple of cars at work with complaints about not blowing air out the vents and this was their problem. Our cars have manual temp controls but the auto-setup should be similar.

I found a pic from a car I stripped out. On the far right you can kinda see where the cabin filter would go(the access panel and filter already removed) The hole just above that is where crab can get sucked in and stuck on top of the filter.
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/attach...4&d=1656611441
    Last edited by Fummins; 07-06-2022 at 12:59 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Patrick_Henry (07-06-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,035 Posts
    PH - Reply back and let us know if this was your issue (that it sucked something into the cabin air filter).

Also - Very important. Is your 2020 blue? If so, you have the single best Mirage model that's ever been built. If it is any other color, it is a turd.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Patrick_Henry (07-06-2022),twister77 (07-06-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yeah, pop the glove box out or just drop it down to access the cabin filter. It's relatively common to have plastic bags or other crap get sucked out of the glove box and into the heater box from the door on the top. It might be the recirculation door? I dunno...I've had a couple of cars at work with complaints about not blowing air out the vents and this was their problem. Our cars have manual temp controls but the auto-setup should be similar.

I found a pic from a car I stripped out. On the far right you can kinda see where the cabin filter would go(the access panel and filter already removed) The hole just above that is where crab can get sucked in and stuck on top of the filter.
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/attach...4&d=1656611441
    You nailed it my friend. That's exactly what happened. A small plastic bag had gotten sucked up in the duct right above the cabin filter. I don't know why I'm not getting notifications to my subscribed threads by email. I'm glad I came back here and checked myself because I'd already made an appointment at the stealership for tomorrow. This saves me a lot of time and aggravation. I still wish that Mitsubishi would've left the HVAC controls manual like my 2017 is.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrick_Henry For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-06-2022),inuvik (07-06-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    PH - Reply back and let us know if this was your issue (that it sucked something into the cabin air filter).

Also - Very important. Is your 2020 blue? If so, you have the single best Mirage model that's ever been built. If it is any other color, it is a turd.
    Yep, you guys nailed it. It was a small plastic bag that had gotten sucked up in the duct where the cabin filter goes. Mine's not blue unfortunately, it's gray. Just out of curiosity, what's so special about the blue ones?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick_Henry For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-06-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_Henry View Post
    Yep, you guys nailed it. It was a small plastic bag that had gotten sucked up in the duct where the cabin filter goes. Mine's not blue unfortunately, it's gray. Just out of curiosity, what's so special about the blue ones?
    He He, Check out 7miles Garage, you'll understand
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Just out of curiosity, what's so special about the blue ones?
    Because they're blue. And I agree, I wish mine had the manual HVAC.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Yep, you guys nailed it...a small plastic bag that had gotten sucked up in the duct where the cabin filter goes.
    Thanks for reporting back on what the issue was.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Patrick_Henry (07-07-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    2019 ES manual would be my dream Mirage (one year wonder). Factory cruise control became standard that year, and auto climate controls didn't become standard again (auto climate controls were standard in 2014-15) until 2020.

In this case, however, the auto climate controls don't deserve a bad rap. Whenever anyone has inside cabin air issues, check those cabin air filters. It's not very large, & larger crap does find its way in there!

Glad your problem was solved, & that you shared it with us!

As far as the blue color goes, someone has to drive the other turds (colors).

I met my first sand yellow Mirage on the road the other day. I can honestly say that I am not a fan. It's better than the pink color, but that's not saying much.

I liked the orange that the sand yellow replaced better. Even a bright yellow would look better to me.

2019 orange ES manual would be my dream Mirage! I would settle for a blue if the price was right, however. I'm cheap!

Last edited by Mark; 07-06-2022 at 11:57 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Patrick_Henry (07-07-2022)