Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this a Fake Sparkplug?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    basing from the picture taken from NGK's catalog, the platinum plug tip looks quite similar to that of the iridium. The plug in question has an appearance nearer to the platinum's, so I come to the conclusion that it is a FAKE!!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    basing from the picture taken from NGK's catalog, the platinum plug tip looks quite similar to that of the iridium. The plug in question has an appearance nearer to the platinum's, so I come to the conclusion that it is a FAKE!!
    Did you buy them from a local supplier or did you buy them online??? If you have doubts, send them back... I think it would be hard to counterfeit the numbers in the porcelain , but just my thoughts... I think sometimes we tend to look too close @ things & find problems that aren't really there...
    Last edited by klroger; 07-18-2022 at 10:22 AM. Reason: spelling
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

mohammad (07-18-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    7milesout worked for Hyundai, so he knows poor manufacturing quality control when he sees it! ; )
    That's true! You nailed it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    By fake, if you mean it may be a platinum SP in place of the Iridium that you purchased, I guess that's possible. However, not every SP manufacturer is going to make their tip the same shape. Does NGK have a picture of their Iridium tip for you to compare.

Ohhhhh wait, I think I'm just now envisioning what you're thinking. Maybe you're thinking that they swapped parts around, and that's why the whole electrode body is off-center. I will admit, that's possible. The likelihood increases if those parts came out of China. In China, they absolutely do whatever they want. Sometimes that's good, sometimes that's not good. I've been to China several times. They're like cowboys over there. I don't mean that in a bad way. If they want to do something, they just do it. They do whatever they want to get the job done. That has it's advantages and disadvantages. If some boy gets his arm cut off being the transfer in a manual transfer press, they just pull him out and tell the toddler they put in there next to "be careful." Advantageous for production. Not advantageous to people's arms.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Did you buy them from a local supplier or did you buy them online??? If you have doubts, send them back... I think it would be hard to counterfeit the numbers in the porcelain , but just my thoughts... I think sometimes we tend to look too close @ things & find problems that aren't really there...
    https://www.ngkntk.com/newsroom/blog/emea/fake-or-not/

i used the link above as reference.
    you maybe right and i might be wrong but comparing something is better than nothing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Does NGK have a picture of their Iridium tip for you to compare.

Packaging:
    NGK OEM Iridium

and who makes this re-branded one?

In the following picture, can you distinguish which one is the fake and the genuine one?

Source:
    https://www.odyclub.com/threads/fake...amazon.362034/

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have to apologize, I didn't know this was a thing. Thanks for letting me know as I would probably just went to Amazon & bought the cheepest ones listed without giving it a second thought... Thanks again ...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    Below are the boxes with the SP i bought.

Attachment 23994
    Mitsubishi made this packaging if you were to buy this on the dealer its packed like this 1822A086 is the part no. used by mitsubishi for this kind of plugs, but still they can fake this and its not hard to fake this packaging so for peace of mind buy this only on authorized parts store like the dealer just to be sure.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    Mitsubishi made this packaging if you were to buy this on the dealer its packed like this 1822A086 is the part no. used by mitsubishi for this kind of plugs, but still they can fake this and its not hard to fake this packaging so for peace of mind buy this only on authorized parts store like the dealer just to be sure.
    I don't think you would even need to fake the packaging. You just need to find a friendly dealer who could sell the packaging to you after installing the part on customer cars. Im still amazed someone would fake a part that cost less than 7 US dollars on rock auto and expect to make a profit.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I don't think you would even need to fake the packaging. You just need to find a friendly dealer who could sell the packaging to you after installing the part on customer cars. Im still amazed someone would fake a part that cost less than 7 US dollars on rock auto and expect to make a profit.
    well sorry to say but someone is doing it, some is imported from china, its on the news some hyundai toyota etc parts are seized by the government because its fake with the same packaging as the dealer, and the exclusive distributors is losing a profit because of this, this is one of the reason why parts are very cheap and abundant here aside from 2nd hand market we also have a Chinese/taiwan parts which is some are not that bad i think.