Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help. AC problem after pressure washing

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Those numbers sound about right. However LF, as you've probably heard, an A/C system can have good pressure numbers, and still be low on refrigerant. What you're doing is not hurting, and I commend anyone willing to get up off their couch and do something about it. Respect. But your system may not perform as designed even with good pressures, if it is low on refrigerant. But in any event, I think your system will perform better now that you've serviced it, and probably better than 90% of other systems that are low.

The only true way to service the system and return to original performance is to add the system's spec'd refrigerant level. However, I'm in agreement with what you've done to date.

There is one thing I'm curious about. It may or may not be an instruction on the refrigerant can (I sort of doubt it due to tree hugger issues). When you connected the refrigerant can to your low side system, did you remove the air from the can's hose?

Here's the deal in case you're not following. There's air in that can's hose. It's not much, but it will have an effect on your system. Maybe minimal, but it's something your system's dryer will have to deal with, because that air has water vapor. Anywho, there's a simple way to deal with that air if it is not in the instructions. On one side of the hose or the other loosen it so that it leaks. I'd have to see this can to explain it better. But while the system's low side valve is NOT open, push a bit of refrigerant pressure down into the hose, then crack the threads of the hose back off the low side port. Enough to hear it hiss to release the pressure in the hose. Do this a couple times until that hose would only have refrigerant in it.

I just thought of an incredible bidness idea. Servicing A/C systems ... FOR STRIPPERS! I could put flyers on their cars in the parking lot. Compensation for services rendered? Not discussable on the forum!
    Morning Mr. 7milesout, thank you very much for your suggestion. Yes, I indeed purged the hose on the r134a can very briefly, less than 0.5 second I believe. What I did was connect the adaptor the the low pressure port first, but loosen the end on the can a bit and pressed the button to drive out the air in the hose, not sure if <0.5 second is enough but better nothing. (The hose is virtually at vertical position once connected to low pressure port, and the density of R134A is about 4.5 KG/M3, almost 3 times that of air, that also helps to keep the released refrigerant stays in the hose immediately after purging) Another thing is I noticed the hose on the Supertech r134a kit is only about half the length of the AC Pro kit, which is less convenient to use but it has less air in the hose in case people forget to purge the hose before injection. My only concern is I read it somewhere that when I recharge, i should rotate the can between 12 oclock and 3 oclock, but should never hold the can directly upside down when charging to prevent liquid state R134A entering the system directly. However, the Supertech hose is short (only 1 feet long), and the position of low pressure port on our Mirage is low, so I have to hold the can virtually upside down and rotate a bit while charging. Hopefully it is not a big deal. I checked the static pressure from the low port again this morning, it reads about 74 PSI at ambient temp. of 74 F, which is normal according to the chart. Seems the pressure holds up after the recharge 48 hours ago. The sealer in the Supertech can probably worked, and it saves me a trip to the dealer But if the pressure goes down again, I will definitely take it to dealer before the 5 year warranty expires. BTW. I found the info on this site is helpful and may help the others who would like to check their AC at home: https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.co...auge-readings/
    as well as the youtube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7loH...annel=YourSelf

Last edited by luckyforrest; 07-19-2022 at 02:24 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    Yes, I indeed purged the hose on the r134a can very briefly, less than 0.5 second
    Sounds like you did it completely correct. You must have done your homework before you did this, or was in the instructions. Anyway, I hope it keeps working for you.

I went YEARS tolerating low performance of the A/C on my old Ram. I heard people say, "yeah, these old truck's compressors get tired, and they just won't cool no more." And various crap like that. And I believed it. And there may be some truth to it, seems reasonable. But finally I decided, I have the tools, I know what I'm doing, let me just evacuate my truck and refill it. I couldn't believe it. It cools like a son of a gun after that! All these years. I added some refrigerant but always thought I was on the verge of adding too much. But I was just never adding enough. I'm sure my truck's system slowly leaks. When it gets weak again, and starts cycling, I'll do it right again. It's been a year, and it still cools so well it freezes me in there in no time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Sounds like you did it completely correct. You must have done your homework before you did this, or was in the instructions. Anyway, I hope it keeps working for you.

I went YEARS tolerating low performance of the A/C on my old Ram. I heard people say, "yeah, these old truck's compressors get tired, and they just won't cool no more." And various crap like that. And I believed it. And there may be some truth to it, seems reasonable. But finally I decided, I have the tools, I know what I'm doing, let me just evacuate my truck and refill it. I couldn't believe it. It cools like a son of a gun after that! All these years. I added some refrigerant but always thought I was on the verge of adding too much. But I was just never adding enough. I'm sure my truck's system slowly leaks. When it gets weak again, and starts cycling, I'll do it right again. It's been a year, and it still cools so well it freezes me in there in no time.
    Yes, I indeed watched some youtube videos. Glad to know the AC on your old RAM still working perfectly. Now my concern is the rapid cycling of the AC on Mirage, it engages for about 9 seconds, and pauses only 4-5 seconds and cycles, seems too rapid for me. Not sure if that is normal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)