Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023...?? Mirage availability

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2023...?? Mirage availability

Hi, does anyone know if the Mirage will continue on or be discontinued? Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Unless someone else has heard otherwise, 2023 will happen with virtually no changes and could be the last year but my guess would be 2024 will be the last year of the current generation. 2025 onward looks to be a Renault rebadge.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Unless someone else has heard otherwise, 2023 will happen with virtually no changes and could be the last year but my guess would be 2024 will be the last year of the current generation. 2025 onward looks to be a Renault rebadge.
    I suspect they will be around for another year, but will the manual disappearing rumor happen or not?

I checked what White Bear had today. They list 3 manuals and 3 automatics. Two of the manuals are listed incorrectly, however. White Bear allows you to look at the window stickers on their website. The one ES manual has over $2,000 in added features, which may be appealing to some.

The days of discounts & rebates are gone! If I needed to replace my Mirage some day, I would be more inclined to search for a used 2017+ manual. Current pricing on the used Mirages makes me appreciate what I already have.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Hi, does anyone know if the Mirage will continue on or be discontinued? Thanks!
    Mitsubishi Corporation invested quite handsomely for the 2021 refresh. I would have to believe they would run those tools until they've got all their money back and then some. I don't know how much the car sells world wide, but I'd have to believe that building the car for 4 years would be minimal. However, with what's going on with the auto world these days, who really knows.

As for the manual, I also have to believe they'll turn that spigot off about 6 to 9 months before the end of production. So they will build it all out (manuals) and have no scrap. When we see the manuals become even more rare at dealers, the end of the model is coming. That doesn't mean the Mirage will go away, but that model likely will be ending ... as would the manual trans (no manual trans in the next generation). However, some OEMs can time the build out of such things very close to the end of a model and in that case, we'd never see manual transmissions get any more rare than they are already.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

El Kapitan (08-06-2022),MetroMPG (08-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Mitsubishi Corporation invested quite handsomely for the 2021 refresh. I would have to believe they would run those tools until they've got all their money back and then some.
    I thought they just slapped on different front & back bumpers and called it a day!

In my mind, the 2017+ hasn't really changed much at all.

I will be sad to see the 5-speed manual powertrain disappear some day. The charm of this 3-cylinder has grown on me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

El Kapitan (08-06-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Me too! Love the 3 cylinder! I'm spoilt on it. Anything more than 3 cylinders seems excessive. Give me 3 pedals, 3 cylinders, 3 women and I'm a happy man.

Even if it were just front and rear bumpers (but there's more to it than that), those sumbiches are HUGE. And those tools are HUGE. And the machines that run them are HUGE. And those machines and tools have got to bang out a shi1ton of parts, and have to do it in a quality manner. Automotive tools / dies are way dang expensive good buddy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

wwjoshdew (08-05-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Half the US is broke or damn near close to it. It'd be foolish for Mitsubishi to discontinue the Mirage IMO. Inflation prices are here to stay, as well as wage stagnation for working class people. I guarantee the MFGs who pulled out of the econobox competition are already in the board room figuring out how to get back in.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Half the US is broke or damn near close to it. It'd be foolish for Mitsubishi to discontinue the Mirage IMO.
    I 100% agree with that. It makes me want to be on the Mitsubishi ship right now, with an ability to influence that decision.

I guarantee the MFGs who pulled out of the econobox competition are already in the board room figuring out how to get back in.
    Dirk - You'd be surprised. Many, half or better, of the guys in the upper echelon of automotive are below average intelligence. My guess of course and I'm not exaggerating. And of all those guys, smart or dumb, a low percentage of those are actual "car guys." The folk in this forum who engage at least somewhat regularly or better, and even the one that I think is completely full of crap, I consider a "car guy." And I consider you all "car guys" over and above most of the auto engineers I worked with. Most auto engineers I worked with worked in automotive out of convenience. I worked in automotive because I salivate when looking at cars.

I don't even have to and I pay attention with what's going on in the auto world. In a week, I probably get under the hood of any one of my cars, 2 to 4 times. Not necessarily doing anything significant, but doing something. There's auto guys in the board room you mention who NEVER pop the hood of their car and don't plan to. And yet, those guys make decisions. There may be some guys in that board room wanting to scream out, "let's get our cheap cars back in production." But most of them are wanting to build more of whatever generates the largest margins. Which is usually grocery go getting, prom queen "trucks." The next largest group want to try to make tree huggers happy.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (07-20-2022),Dirk Diggler (07-20-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I 100% agree with that. It makes me want to be on the Mitsubishi ship right now, with an ability to influence that decision.

Dirk - You'd be surprised. Many, half or better, of the guys in the upper echelon of automotive are below average intelligence. My guess of course and I'm not exaggerating. And of all those guys, smart or dumb, a low percentage of those are actual "car guys." The folk in this forum who engage at least somewhat regularly or better, and even the one that I think is completely full of crap, I consider a "car guy." And I consider you all "car guys" over and above most of the auto engineers I worked with. Most auto engineers I worked with worked in automotive out of convenience. I worked in automotive because I salivate when looking at cars.

I don't even have to and I pay attention with what's going on in the auto world. In a week, I probably get under the hood of any one of my cars, 2 to 4 times. Not necessarily doing anything significant, but doing something. There's auto guys in the board room you mention who NEVER pop the hood of their car and don't plan to. And yet, those guys make decisions. There may be some guys in that board room wanting to scream out, "let's get our cheap cars back in production." But most of them are wanting to build more of whatever generates the largest margins. Which is usually grocery go getting, prom queen "trucks." The next largest group want to try to make tree huggers happy.
    Considering the markup I paid for the G4, in spite of it being the best new car deal out there within our parameters, I'd say $18k Mirages offer a decent profit margin? I mean even with inflation and logistics jammed up, it cost Mitsu what? $7k to manufacture a Mirage in Thailand and ship it overseas? I'm just spit balling here on prices though. I have no idea but the number could be close?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Considering the markup I paid for the G4, in spite of it being the best new car deal out there within our parameters, I'd say $18k Mirages offer a decent profit margin? I mean even with inflation and logistics jammed up, it cost Mitsu what? $7k to manufacture a Mirage in Thailand and ship it overseas? I'm just spit balling here on prices though. I have no idea but the number could be close?
    I think that even with inflation, there is heckuva a lot more margin in an $18k Mirage, than there was at the going rate 2 or 3 years ago. So, I think you're correct on that.

The actual manufacturing cost of just the vehicle itself I wager is FAR LESS than $7k. Maybe half that to $4k. Could be even less straight converting the local Thai currency to $'s (strictly just manufacturing the car though). But there's a lot of expense to make that vehicle available for sale in the U.S. And there's a lot of greedy suits along the way that have to be greased.