Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 cylinder envy

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Plus the verbage screams "I'm a prick."
    Here! Here! I certainly agree with that!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-20-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hardly anyone doing Uber or Lyft or delivering pizzas pays extra for commercial car insurance because your rate will skyrocket.

It's a risk if you get in a wreck while driving for Uber and your car insurance finds out you don't have a commercial addendum added to you're policy. They could cancel your coverage for fraud which costs more than a DUI believe it or not.

I'd venture 90% of sub-contractors doing rideshare or deliveries have no idea they even need commercial vehicle insurance.

If you get in a wreck you better hope the police doesn't include you were driving for Uber in their report because that's the only way your insurance can find out.
    Uber provides you with commercial coverage for the ride share service and possibly the other services and companies do aswell?

Although i think your right that the uber insurance coverage requires that you tell your personal insurance about the ride sharing work.

Im certain the police would include you were doing newspaper delivery especially when the other guys statements gonna say that the car was unattended running with door open and he saw newspapers being thrown.

Fraud absolutely cost more than a DUI as it generally involves foresight and planning and ill intent.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Uber provides you with commercial coverage for the ride share service and possibly the other services and companies do aswell?

Although i think your right that the uber insurance coverage requires that you tell your personal insurance about the ride sharing work.

Im certain the police would include you were doing newspaper delivery especially when the other guys statements gonna say that the car was unattended running with door open and he saw newspapers being thrown.

Fraud absolutely cost more than a DUI as it generally involves foresight and planning and ill intent.
    Policies and laws might be different in Canada but after doing rideshare for a long time I learned all about commercial insurance in the US.

Uber's insurance only covers you if there is a passenger in you're vehicle or you're on your way to a pick up. All the other down time or when the app isn't recording an active pick up and drop off then it is not covered by Uber's insurance.

Uber in no way requires their drivers to disclose they need commercial drivers insurance to their personal carriers. They simply check that you do have insurance to supplicant what they all ready offer drivers. They need drivers badly, doubling their insurance premiums isn't going to help recruit drivers especially when many gig workers are already extremely strapped for cash.

When I found all this out, I decided to not risk it. I changed insurance companies and added a ride share addendum to my policy, increasing my premium almost 35%.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Here! Here! I certainly agree with that!
    It just sounded incredibly unprofessional to me, the ad. I mean could you imagine a VP of Toyota putting out an email like that? I certainly couldn't.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Uber in no way requires their drivers to disclose they need commercial drivers insurance to their personal carriers. They simply check that you do have insurance to supplicant what they all ready offer drivers. They need drivers badly, doubling their insurance premiums isn't going to help recruit drivers especially when many gig workers are already extremely strapped for cash.
    This is true, But for the uber policy to be valid, your personal policy must be valid. If you never tell your personal policy that you are doing uber then neither policy will pay out. as your "supplicant" insurance policy was "fraudulently" purchased.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    This is true, But for the uber policy to be valid, your personal policy must be valid. If you never tell your personal policy that you are doing uber then neither policy will pay out. as your "supplicant" insurance policy was "fraudulently" purchased.
    Ahhh but there's the game of it. If you're in the know how, there's ways to mitigate your personal insurance finding out you're doing rideshare. For one, an easily removable Uber decal and simply saying "no" if they ask if you were doing ride share. Most carriers don't even ask unless it comes up in the accident report. When I totaled my 2014 Mirage my insurance asked me if I was doing rideshare. I said no, even though technically I was still on Uber's platform. However I hadn't done a ride in over a year. Nothing came of it.

Insurance companies are counting on you not knowing about commercial insurance and answering "yes" if you were doing Uber. This is how they catch you out. That or a really descriptive police report (rare down my way).

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ahhh but there's the game of it. If you're in the know how, there's ways to mitigate your personal insurance finding out you're doing rideshare. For one, an easily removable Uber decal and simply saying "no" if they ask if you were doing ride share. Most carriers don't even ask unless it comes up in the accident report. When I totaled my 2014 Mirage my insurance asked me if I was doing rideshare. I said no, even though technically I was still on Uber's platform. However I hadn't done a ride in over a year. Nothing came of it.

Insurance companies are counting on you not knowing about commercial insurance and answering "yes" if you were doing Uber. This is how they catch you out. That or a really descriptive police report (rare down my way).
    If you crash with a passenger in the car and they take an ambulance. who should pay for the passengers ambulance? if they claim money through uber insurance (the natural thing any uber passenger would do) they will validate that your personal insurance was fraudulently obtained and not pay out. They will simultaneously be informing your personal insurance that you were an uber. making both policies void.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    They will simultaneously be informing your personal insurance that you were an uber. making both policies void.
    I don't put it past uber to be as slimey as that. There are uber forums. I'm sure there's a story or thousands that would back or refute this...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (07-20-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    If you crash with a passenger in the car and they take an ambulance. who should pay for the passengers ambulance? if they claim money through uber insurance (the natural thing any uber passenger would do) they will validate that your personal insurance was fraudulently obtained and not pay out. They will simultaneously be informing your personal insurance that you were an uber. making both policies void.
    Uber's insurance covers the passenger. It's what I mentioned earlier. Uber is not going to deny a passenger coverage because the ride share driver didn't have commercial drivers insurance. Perhaps this is their policy in Canada but not here.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I don't put it past uber to be as slimey as that. There are uber forums. I'm sure there's a story or thousands that would back or refute this...
    Please post a link from Uber's policies stating they alert your own private car insurance if there is a wreck. I'm genuinely curious where you got this info, please.