Thread: Buying a small car is not an actual solution...

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Buying a small car is not an actual solution...

to this overpriced market.

For pleasure reading.

https://jalopnik.com/buying-a-small-...-ov-1849318699

I don't regret my G4

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No offense to you, but I've always found "jalopnik" filled with stories (and comments) from pretentious picks. And prickettes. Want to be pc and all.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (07-25-2022),daleWV (07-22-2022),mohammad (07-23-2022),twister77 (07-25-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    [QUOTE=AtomicPunk;144017]No offense to you, but I've always found "jalopnik" filled with stories (and comments) from pretentious picks. And prickettes. Want to be pc and all.[/QUOT

Jalopnik was one of few publications to vigorously defend the Mirage, going back to 2014. I think the writer was Jason Torchinsky?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    [QUOTE=Dirk Diggler;144019]
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    No offense to you, but I've always found "jalopnik" filled with stories (and comments) from pretentious picks. And prickettes. Want to be pc and all.[/QUOT

Jalopnik was one of few publications to vigorously defend the Mirage, going back to 2014. I think the writer was Jason Torchinsky?
    https://jalopnik.com/the-case-for-th...age-1844397739
    https://jalopnik.com/2014-mitsubishi...iew-1472224538

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Dirk Diggler;144020]
    That's one. Just my personal opinion, especially their message board. Your mileage may vary.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-25-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    to this overpriced market.

For pleasure reading.

https://jalopnik.com/buying-a-small-...-ov-1849318699

I don't regret my G4
    In my area, there's a lot of brand loyalty. Our local town (county seat) has two dealerships (Chevy/Buick/Cadillac & Ford/Chrysler/Jeep). Going outside of those brands would involve traveling 65 miles or more. Some people prefer to buy local, & I respect that. For those people, however, buying a small car is hardly an option.

Ford = Mustang
    Chevy = Malibu & Spark (final year)
    Buick = No cars
    Cadillac = CT5 & CT4
    Jeep = No cars
    Chrysler = 300
    Dodge = Charger & Challenger

I don't really consider the 300, Charger, Challenger, CT5, & CT4 as small car options.

Once the Spark disappears, small cars aren't really even an option any more. Even if I wanted a Malibu, brand new ones aren't sitting in lots. Chevy dealerships are everywhere in my area. There's one Malibu within a 50 mile radius of where I live, and it's not in stock yet.

The Mirage ES manual is the only Mitsubishi vehicle that would interest me as a consumer. Regardless of the number of trim levels (4 or 5), the price difference between the bottom & top trim level Mirage CVT has been $2,000 (since 2017). The MSRP of a SE CVT is $2,000 more than a ES CVT, & it's been that way these past 6 years.

White Bear has one ES manual coming in. It is mislabeled a CVT, but the window sticker shows it's a manual. This base level manual car has over $2,000 in additional equipment added to it at the factory. The range in price between an ES, LE, BE, & SE (CVTs) is $2,000.

The window sticker price for WB's 2022 ES manual (cheapest Mirage option) is now $17,755. The MSRP of the top trim SE CVT is $17,895 + destination charge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    The comments section on that site tends to be a closed club where they sit around and each other how right they are.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (07-23-2022),craigq (07-23-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah you're right. It crazy!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    We did the Spark from a local dealer untill the head gasket started to leak. When the dealer tech said it was not leaking and service refused to fix it, I traded it in and bought another, simpler KIA minivan. Segue forward, wife got the hots for another gas sipper and settled on the Mirage. Closest local dealer was in Memphis (high crime rate/deaths every day) we went to Alabama . Did most everything by online and went to Florance, AL and got the car. Dealer ultimately a typical disappointment but got the car and been happy ever since finding youse guys. Personally, I would have gone two states over to get what I want if for nothing else to thumb my nose at locals who think they are the only store in town and get steamed when they found you went elsewhere. Amazon for little stuff. Road trip for bigger stuff.
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    We did the Spark from a local dealer untill the head gasket started to leak. When the dealer tech said it was not leaking and service refused to fix it, I traded it in and bought another, simpler KIA minivan. Segue forward, wife got the hots for another gas sipper and settled on the Mirage. Closest local dealer was in Memphis (high crime rate/deaths every day) we went to Alabama . Did most everything by online and went to Florance, AL and got the car. Dealer ultimately a typical disappointment but got the car and been happy ever since finding youse guys. Personally, I would have gone two states over to get what I want if for nothing else to thumb my nose at locals who think they are the only store in town and get steamed when they found you went elsewhere. Amazon for little stuff. Road trip for bigger stuff.
    Once I decided to pull the trigger on the Mirage, I would have bought a one-way plane ticket anywhere & drove it home. I saved about $3,500 OTD by letting White Bear Mitsubishi deliver my Mirage to my driveway (4-hours away) for free. My local dealership wouldn't even bother to look for what I wanted. WB found my car within an hour or two at another dealership on a Tuesday, and they had my new car in my driveway that same week on Saturday morning. We did the paperwork on my kitchen table. Two of WB's employees spent 8 hours each on the road that day to make this deal happen. Not all dealerships are alike. If there is a good Mitsubishi dealership in my state of Wisconsin, I am not aware of it. I would never visit a dealership without knowing their OTD price first. Life is too short to waste it bickering over the price of vehicle. Make them work to get you there!

WB's salesman apologized for delivering my car with the gas tank not filled, too. They didn't realize how far I was from a town, until they got to my place.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (07-25-2022),inuvik (07-25-2022)