Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum with my old trusty 2015 Mirage

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    This is a good thread kyo. I would have chosen the 1.0L here in the states if it were an option. Instead, we have to take the gas guzzling 1.2L. Oh well. But the 1.2L paired with the 5-speed is a pleasant driving car. I hope my lasts as long as yours!
    Glad you like that thread

I've never had the chance to drive a 1.2, but don't think the it's a gashog tho

However hypermiling with the 1.0 takes some effort too. Aaaand... of course, here are a few quirks with it. For instance: "Coasting" works, but not as much as I expected. I always try to "motor brake" (sorry I haven't found an proper Americana-expression for that word). Whenever I go downhill steep enough. That helps much more!

Another rather curious thing is that there is an actual "sweet spot" with the accelerator. It helps a -lot- if you push the accelerator pedal as -minimal as possible-. Just enough to keep the car moving. Not more! And then just try keep that sweet spot with the pedal. Do not go lower, do not go higher as long as possible (and as long as the surrounding traffic allows it). If you can keep the engine in that kind of equilibrium-state you can literally see the number displayed on the fuel-consumption display going down. Works even uphill to a certain degree.
    Also try to get a constant speed on the highway. A good speed-sweet-spot is (at least with my good ol' Bertha) is 90km/h / 55mph. That's the speed that gives (at least to me) the most bang for the buck, while still keeping my travel time... well at least kind of reasonable.

It takes practice (plus some serious dedication and discipline lol) but I think with a good hypermiling strategy you can get from the 1.2 almost the same mileage as you can get from a 1.0. And it helps if you consider hypermiling as a hobby... a nerdy one

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage 1.0 automatic: 62.9 mpg (US) ... 26.7 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyo For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-05-2022),vintzend (07-29-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kyo View Post
    Glad you like that thread A good speed-sweet-spot is (at least with my good ol' Bertha) is 90km/h / 55mph.
    I bet they love you and Bertha out on the Autobahn. You should weave between lanes frequently when you're hypermiling on the Autobahn. Engine braking is what it is casually referred to here in the states. But motor brake is the same thing, although it sounds more appropriate for 'lectric vehicles.

Keep in mind what I said about the Autobahn, I'm an expert since I've never been there!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-28-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I bet they love you and Bertha out on the Autobahn. You should weave between lanes frequently when you're hypermiling on the Autobahn. Engine braking is what it is casually referred to here in the states. But motor brake is the same thing, although it sounds more appropriate for 'lectric vehicles.

Keep in mind what I said about the Autobahn, I'm an expert since I've never been there!
    LOL you are totally right, guessed like a native! And thank you for the hint with "engine breaking"

Well actually we have a right lane requirement over here... so most of the time I only have to deal with the trucks there, less with those nasty 250mkh supercars jk.
    And as long I behave like a truck myself they don't bother. Actually one can get along with them quite well. However it -is- important to always have a look in the rear view mirror. :P

And when I am fedup with hypermiling there is still Christine. A 1983 Camaro Z28.. (I have a thing for classic US-cars). Just a simple Edelbrock 1406 setup with a humble 305 block. Going to town!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage 1.0 automatic: 62.9 mpg (US) ... 26.7 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kyo View Post
    Just a simple Edelbrock 1406 setup with a humble 305 block. Going to town!
    Ohhhhh, we're about to be best buds. I know the 1405 / 1406 like the back of my hand. I think the 1406 is a 1405 but with sissy electric choke (and factory tune is slightly different). I'm an Edelbrock Tuning MF'r.

A friend (my dad's age) GAVE me a 1972 Plymouth Scamp, with an LA (Light A) 360 V8 engine. After taking ownership, I have been tuning that car, learning and having all kind of fun with it. I have increased the hp by 67.5 horsepower. That is based on E.T. & Trap Speed and using formulas to compute power. I'm never finished tuning.

We can take that offline if you care to. However, if you've never changed main jets, metering rods, step-up springs, etc, anything I have to say may not interest you. Actually now I'm running a 1905 (AVS with annular primary boosters). The 1405 was probably just as good, and easier for me to get it tuned perfect, no not perfect, as good as it could get.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    This is the first I've heard of a timing chain replacement. This is extremely rare for any car, let alone the Mirage IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    This is the first I've heard of a timing chain replacement. This is extremely rare for any car, let alone the Mirage IIRC.
    It's rare for a Mirage but relatively common for timing chain tensioners/guides, cam phasers or chains to fail on older 3valve 5.4 ferds and I believe chain guides on older 3.5 Nissan v6's. Quad 4 gm 4cylinders used to be pretty bad too.
    I wonder what happened to the guy who's brother claimed his car needed a timing chain?https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...r-Local-Repair
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-29-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's rare for a Mirage but relatively common for timing chain tensioners/guides, cam phasers or chains to fail on older 3valve 5.4 ferds and I believe chain guides on older 3.5 Nissan v6's. Quad 4 gm 4cylinders used to be pretty bad too.
    I wonder what happened to the guy who's brother claimed his car needed a timing chain?https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...r-Local-Repair
    Question though Fummy, once a timing chain fails doesn't that usually destroy the engine?

Sorry for all the questions but I've learned more from you guys in 4 years than the 4 years of college I went to lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Only if it is an interference engine. And I think I saw Fummins post in another thread that our mighty 3-Tapper engine IS an interference engine. Meaning that the intake and/or exhaust valves extend far enough down into the cylinder area (when pushed down/open by the cam) to be touched / interfered by a piston when the piston is at or near the top of its travel.

Of course this touch would only happen when the valve timing is wrong ... such as what will happen if the chain breaks. Hence the use of a chain. Its not nearly as likely to break as a timing belt.
    Last edited by 7milesout; 07-29-2022 at 03:27 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (08-02-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Loren over-revved his engine in an Auto Cross event & bent his valves, so I have to think it is an interference engine after all. He has Pics in post # 35 here... https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...015-car)/page4 & this guy bent his, but he was installing aftermarket go faster cams, so that may be different... https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...g-a-new-engine
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    These are interference engines!

Loren grossly over-revved an engine causing bent valves. I think he down-shifted into the wrong gear. The timing chain had not snapped. How was that possible? If the revs are so high that the springs don't return the valves quick enough, they bang on the pistons. Since the valve stems are not parallel to the cylinders, they get bent.