Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to the forum with my old trusty 2015 Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    If the revs are so high that the springs don't return the valves quick enough...
    Stateside we call that "floating valves." When the springs don't have enough force to force the valves to follow the cam profile. Not sure how it is reffered in your country.

Loren didn't over-rev. He let somebody else drive his car and the other driver over-revved it by mis-down-shifting, or missing the next gear up, or something like that. That's the way I remember it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    This is the first I've heard of a timing chain replacement. This is extremely rare for any car, let alone the Mirage IIRC.
    Well I did some research about that. And, just like you, could not find any. Mitsubishi told me officially that the timing chain does have a "lifetime" guarantee. But how long is livelong? I think Bertha is already a longlifer and Mitsubishi certainly won't repair my car for free if the timing chain decides to give up.

On the other hand... I do not think that anyone who has suffered a damaged timing chain is going to brag about that on the internet. So.. who knows. The only thing i -do- know is that the chain started to be -quite- noisy and my local repair shop who does the main inspection every two years (this **** is actually obligatory here) warned me about it too.

And yes my repair shop wants to make money and does have its own agency and motivations (taking my money, lot's of it) I just decided on a hunch and consider it as some kind of engine ensurance. I might have wasted a good amount of money, but its still much -less- money compared to the amount I would have to spend for a replacement engine ;P

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage 1.0 automatic: 62.9 mpg (US) ... 26.7 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kyo View Post
    Well I did some research about that. And, just like you, could not find any. Mitsubishi told me officially that the timing chain does have a "lifetime" guarantee. But how long is livelong? I think Bertha is already a longlifer and Mitsubishi certainly won't repair my car for free if the timing chain decides to give up.

On the other hand... I do not think that anyone who has suffered a damaged timing chain is going to brag about that on the internet. So.. who knows. The only thing i -do- know is that the chain started to be -quite- noisy and my local repair shop who does the main inspection every two years (this **** is actually obligatory here) warned me about it too.

And yes my repair shop wants to make money and does have its own agency and motivations (taking my money, lot's of it) I just decided on a hunch and consider it as some kind of engine ensurance. I might have wasted a good amount of money, but its still much -less- money compared to the amount I would have to spend for a replacement engine ;P
    You may be one of the first to have a timing chain changed on a Mirage, but going 70,000 km without an oil change may be a first, too!

Oil changes are cheap compared to major engine repairs or replacements. I am not trying to be critical of you, but I would expect any neglected engine to develop issues as they get older.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You may be one of the first to have a timing chain changed on a Mirage, but going 70,000 km without an oil change may be a first, too!

Oil changes are cheap compared to major engine repairs or replacements. I am not trying to be critical of you, but I would expect any neglected engine to develop issues as they get older.
    Well, as I already mentioned, I am not quite proud of the neglected oil change. The car had almost 200.000km during that period and actually I expected it to break down for old age every minute. At least I kept an eye on the oil-level and refilled it from time to time.
    But well, what has been done, has been done. And yet the engine survived quite well (maybe the oil-issue is the reason for the wearing out or the timing chain. I will never know). However these experiences (oil change, timing chain) may now be useful for other mirage owners who are reading this thread

Right now I am trying to make up for it a little. So don't be mad at me anymore and just wish me luck Bertha get's over it. At least right now I much more aware of her and her an all new shiny neckl...chain!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage 1.0 automatic: 62.9 mpg (US) ... 26.7 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well. I'll. Be. DIPPED.

A fella would be pretty dang excited to find out his sayings were being used way over in the land of the good cold snacks

Quote Originally Posted by kyo View Post
    Well borrowd plumes I actually learned that expression from a YT-channel called "Vice Grip Garage". The host there always has some entertaining shenanigans with classic automobiles (a hobby of my own).
    Want some more? He calls a carburetor a "fuel-make-it-happener" and... the alternator is called a "lighting-whriler" and so on and so forth. Go figure lol

Thus "Drinkers side" (I have learned there too) is on the right. Left is the captains side of the car. JK don't drink an drive. Seriously.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Well. I'll. Be. DIPPED.

A fella would be pretty dang excited to find out his sayings were being used way over in the land of the good cold snacks
    Oh yes! Cold snacks are FACTREE over here! Some even craigslist rebuild!
    Last edited by kyo; 08-04-2022 at 02:08 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kyo For This Useful Post:

Basic (08-04-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    This is a good thread kyo. I would have chosen the 1.0L here in the states if it were an option. Instead, we have to take the gas guzzling 1.2L.
    Ha - I could have written that.

I would love to have a Mirage 1.0 to compare against the ancient 1.0 technology in my Firefly/Metro.

Willkommen, kyo!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)