Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum with my old trusty 2015 Mirage

Country
    Germany
    Thanks

New to the forum with my old trusty 2015 Mirage

Hi!

New user from Germany here.

I bought a brand new Mirage 1.0 with manual transmission in 2015. I Commute quite a lot to my work. I drove 270.000 with it yet with out any serious issues. Only the side window motor on the drivers side died off last year.
    The only major thing I changed was the the timing chain at 268.000 km. It started to rattle quite a lot and well.. I wasn't in the mood to gamble with my little engine. German Angst I suppose lol.

I love it's fuel/milage economy and its reliability and I do not plan to replace it with a new one soon. Instead I will try too keep it alive as long as possible. I am quite sure there are another 270.000 km to get out of that small car

Kind regards,
    kyo

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage 1.0 automatic: 62.9 mpg (US) ... 26.7 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kyo For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (07-25-2022),inuvik (07-25-2022),Mark (07-25-2022),MetroMPG (08-05-2022),vintzend (07-26-2022),Wil B (07-27-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Hi kyo and welcome to the forum. Bought my trusty Mirage (SpaceStar 1.0) new in 2014. It has about 120Tkm on it now, and always had best possible maintenance. The axle bodies were de-rusted and painted with Metallschutzlack in 2014, the same paint used for bridges, ships, etc. All cavities were waxed in 2014 and 2021. Although it is now eight years old, practically its like new.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

kyo (07-26-2022),mohammad (07-25-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Hi kyo and welcome to the forum. Bought my trusty Mirage (SpaceStar 1.0) new in 2014. It has about 120Tkm on it now, and always had best possible maintenance. The axle bodies were de-rusted and painted with Metallschutzlack in 2014, the same paint used for bridges, ships, etc. All cavities were waxed in 2014 and 2021. Although it is now eight years old, practically its like new.
    Well... I have to admit I didn't do -anything- of this sort. I actually calculated Bertha in such a way that I hoped to get 200Tkm out of her and then... well dump her in my garden. At one time I did not even bother to change oil for more then 70Tkm :P

However on close inspection from top to floor (I wanted to be sure about the cars body before I spend $$$ on the timing chain) I hardly found any corrosion. Only the axles had surface corrosion and I took care of that as good as possible (rear axles are quite accessible, front not so much).
    Regarding the body I only found a sad spot at the back wheelhouse (drinkers side). Something wrong with the sealing there and I found actually a small hole. Pity... I think I've dealt with it properly for now but I still consider welding it tough.
    After that I used lots of fluid-film for all cavities and spend a generous amount of bitumen anti-rust in the wheelhouses and her floor. I think Bertha really deserves it now and she will get much more attention in future

After all I am quite impressed how little corrosion there was. Especially since she is my -daily driver. Every day, every season, summer, winter, snow and (lots of) salt without even bothering with any maintenance on the body for more then seven years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage 1.0 automatic: 62.9 mpg (US) ... 26.7 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kyo For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-25-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kyo View Post
    Regarding the body I only found a sad spot at the back wheelhouse (drinkers side).
    That's Awesome, I've never heard a side of a car referred to as a "Drinkers Side" Sooo... I have to ask, Is the drinker side the driver or passenger... In Canaduh, it could be both sides, depending on where you live... We Share !!!
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

kyo (07-26-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kyo View Post
    Well... I have to admit I didn't do -anything- of this sort. I actually calculated Bertha in such a way that I hoped to get 200Tkm out of her and then... well dump her in my garden. At one time I did not even bother to change oil for more then 70Tkm :P

However on close inspection from top to floor (I wanted to be sure about the cars body before I spend $$$ on the timing chain) I hardly found any corrosion. Only the axles had surface corrosion and I took care of that as good as possible (rear axles are quite accessible, front not so much).
    Regarding the body I only found a sad spot at the back wheelhouse (drinkers side). Something wrong with the sealing there and I found actually a small hole. Pity... I think I've dealt with it properly for now but I still consider welding it tough.
    After that I used lots of fluid-film for all cavities and spend a generous amount of bitumen anti-rust in the wheelhouses and her floor. I think Bertha really deserves it now and she will get much more attention in future

After all I am quite impressed how little corrosion there was. Especially since she is my -daily driver. Every day, every season, summer, winter, snow and (lots of) salt without even bothering with any maintenance on the body for more then seven years.
    70,000 km oil change interval = approximately 43,500 miles (I just had to convert that one!)

A dealer in the Midwest bought back a 2014 Mirage from their customer with 414,000 miles (approximately 666,240 km). We are led to believe the car is still running fine.

A forum member just recently sold his 2014 Mirage with 307,000 miles (approximately 495,000 km), & his original engine was still doing quite well. He didn't neglect his oil changes, however.

I think you may be underestimating the reliability of these cars, but we don't have the 1.0 liter engine option here.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

kyo (07-26-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    70,000 km oil change interval = approximately 43,500 miles (I just had to convert that one!)

...but we don't have the 1.0 liter engine option here.

That 70tkm on one oil change could be the main reason for the timing chain wearing out.

The 1.0L "stripped naked" MT European model is not really all that naked, it has a radio and a/c, but no lid over the luggage area. It is priced at roughly 50% of the fully laden expensive 1.2L CVT model. They advertise them, but don't really stock them. I had to wait four months for mine back in 2014. I think it is just for getting potential customers into the dealer's door, who are swiftly told they really want something a lot more expensive.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

kyo (07-26-2022),MetroMPG (08-05-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    That's Awesome, I've never heard a side of a car referred to as a "Drinkers Side" Sooo... I have to ask, Is the drinker side the driver or passenger... In Canaduh, it could be both sides, depending on where you live... We Share !!!
    Well borrowd plumes I actually learned that expression from a YT-channel called "Vice Grip Garage". The host there always has some entertaining shenanigans with classic automobiles (a hobby of my own).
    Want some more? He calls a carburetor a "fuel-make-it-happener" and... the alternator is called a "lighting-whriler" and so on and so forth. Go figure lol

Thus "Drinkers side" (I have learned there too) is on the right. Left is the captains side of the car. JK don't drink an drive. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

A dealer in the Midwest bought back a 2014 Mirage from their customer with 414,000 miles (approximately 666,240 km). We are led to believe the car is still running fine.

A forum member just recently sold his 2014 Mirage with 307,000 miles (approximately 495,000 km), & his original engine was still doing quite well. He didn't neglect his oil changes, however.

I think you may be underestimating the reliability of these cars, but we don't have the 1.0 liter engine option here.
    Well I have to admit, the 70.000 km oil change interval is not one my proudest confessions tough. And yes I -absolutely- underestimated that. Otherwise I would have taken much better care for Bertha. Well I try to make up for it as good as possible right now :P

The 1.0 Engine is -great-, it's Gas-millage is stellar!. When I commute I easily get 100km with only 3,5L and if I try really hard it can get as low as 3,2L... but that needs takes some serious hypermiling trickerage though

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    That 70tkm on one oil change could be the main reason for the timing chain wearing out.

The 1.0L "stripped naked" MT European model is not really all that naked, it has a radio and a/c, but no lid over the luggage area. It is priced at roughly 50% of the fully laden expensive 1.2L CVT model. They advertise them, but don't really stock them. I had to wait four months for mine back in 2014. I think it is just for getting potential customers into the dealer's door, who are swiftly told they really want something a lot more expensive.
    Wel l got it quite stripped. I had to pay for the radio (upgrade maybe?) and also the metallic paint on the car (they had no standard white ones left at the dealership anymore).
    Still l remember the (very nice) sales man at Mitsubishi who told me not to bother with the missing lid. He told me it's price-tag is outrageous and he really felt bad about that. After the purchase they made a photo with me and Bertha (and some kind of flower bouquet). Had a merry time there.

I the oil change interval was the reason for the loos timing chain, I paid dearly for that. Well, won't happen again.
    To my defense: I paid 7,600€ for a brand new car and I really did not expect to get a quality-product with that price-tag.
    Well, we have those cheap Fiats (and they are crap) and we have those Dacias (in a warm summer night you can hear their bodys slow corrosion. Truly romantic). Thus my expectations for Bertha have been quite humble too. How could I expect such a durable car for that price?
    Last edited by kyo; 07-26-2022 at 08:12 PM. Reason: mixup with the captains side

Welcome! Nice to see more fellow Europeans here! Your enthusiasm for the trusty small car is truly inspiring!

I love the German Mitsubishi site, it has a way happier vibe than the Dutch. Also noticed Mitsu sells more funky accessories and wheel trims variants over there than in your tiny neighboring country.

Not to mention the price differences... The most basic version (which admittedly is quite reasonably equipped these days) costs about 13.000 IIRC and the highest trim Space Star costs 21.000 euros over here...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to vintzend For This Useful Post:

kyo (07-26-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vintzend View Post
    Not to mention the price differences... The most basic version (which admittedly is quite reasonably equipped these days) costs about 13.000 IIRC and the highest trim Space Star costs 21.000 euros over here...
    Hey don't forget those have been 2015 €uros not 2022 ones. Glad to be an inspiration to you tough and thanks to @all for the warm welcome

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    This is a good thread kyo. I would have chosen the 1.0L here in the states if it were an option. Instead, we have to take the gas guzzling 1.2L. Oh well. But the 1.2L paired with the 5-speed is a pleasant driving car. I hope my lasts as long as yours!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)