Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my suspension bad?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Is my suspension bad?

A few months ago, one of my rear tires burst and I had to get it replaced. Ever since, my car feels more bouncy and there are more vibrations in the seat, especially when going over rougher roads. Based on this description, has my suspension gone bad? If it has, how much would it be to remedy?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernadine View Post
    A few months ago, one of my rear tires burst and I had to get it replaced. Ever since, my car feels more bouncy and there are more vibrations in the seat, especially when going over rougher roads. Based on this description, has my suspension gone bad? If it has, how much would it be to remedy?
    I would be more suspicious of the replacement tire not being balanced correctly. Sounds like a tire out of balance.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Bernadine (07-25-2022),mohammad (07-25-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought that that might have been it as well, but assumed it had to be something different since the tire place is supposed to know what they're doing. I'll get it checked out. Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought that that might have been it as well, but assumed it had to be something different since the tire place is supposed to know what they're doing. I'll get it checked out. Thanks!
    I bought a cheap front tire for one of my motorcycles once. It still vibrated terribly after being balanced twice. I had to buy a better quality replacement.

I lost a factory Dunlop Enasve tire within the first year of owning my Mirage (sidewall blow out on the rear axle). I replaced both rear tires at the same time so they would match. I used up the other two factory tires, & I kept the third one as an extra (to use in a pinch).

I have 4 different pairs of tires (Dunlop, Nokian, Nexen, & Kumho) for my Mirage. None of the pairs match, but they are balanced & work well used as a pair on the same axle.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I ended up getting the balance done and they said that it was as close to spec as it could be, but the ride feels the same. The tire I got has pretty good ratings, so I don't think it could be causing so much of an issue. My car has almost 70,000 miles on it and I read a few people saying that their suspensions went out at around that time as well. I will have it checked at some point to see if that really is the case.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    I ended up getting the balance done and they said that it was as close to spec as it could be, but the ride feels the same. The tire I got has pretty good ratings, so I don't think it could be causing so much of an issue. My car has almost 70,000 miles on it and I read a few people saying that their suspensions went out at around that time as well. I will have it checked at some point to see if that really is the case.
    Maybe they have just higher air pressure than before? With higher air pressure the ride is a bit more bumpy and pothole damage potentially decreased, but the mpg gets better. For that reason, mine has 3.0bar (around 44psi) in all four.

It could be, your rear shocks have been wearing. They wear more on bumpy roads. If that were so, you might like considering the KYB alternative to the OEM shocks. The KYB sort are cheaper and the ride is much better. I replaced mine years ago although they were not worn, because with the KYB shocks, the rear of the car does not bob up and down.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Bernadine (08-13-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did you hit a big pothole to cause the tire to burst? If so and if you have the steel rims, I would be willing to bet your rim is bent. The steelies are not very stout. This can cause an "out of balance" feeling.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Bernadine (08-15-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Did you hit a big pothole to cause the tire to burst? If so and if you have the steel rims, I would be willing to bet your rim is bent. The steelies are not very stout. This can cause an "out of balance" feeling.
    I didn't hit a pothole when it burst, I just went over a small divot in the road. I guess that was the breaking point for any issues the tire had. Also, my wheels are the alloy version. I don't know how durable they are, but the tire place didn't mention anything about it being bent, which I think they would, even if just to upsell.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bernadine For This Useful Post:

Basic (08-15-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't hit a pothole when it burst, I just went over a small divot in the road. I guess that was the breaking point for any issues the tire had. Also, my wheels are the alloy version. I don't know how durable they are, but the tire place didn't mention anything about it being bent, which I think they would, even if just to upsell.
    If you tried to destroy a rim on purpose with a hydraulic press, a steel rim will bend. An alloy rim will shatter. It's like comparing aluminum arrows to carbon arrows. Aluminum arrows can be bent. Some say an aluminum arrow is never truly straight after the first shot. A carbon arrow is either straight or broken. A bent carbon arrow doesn't exist. I doubt your alloy wheels are bent.

It sounds like you replaced one tire instead of a pair of tires. If so, the newer tire may not match well with the older tire. When I lost a factory Dunlop tire (sidewall blow out) @ 15,000 miles, I replaced it with two new tires. I still have an original factory Dunlop with 15,000 miles on it in my garage because of that incident.

I alluded to this in an earlier post, but I would question a single tire being added to the mix of the other three tires.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Bernadine (08-15-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you tried to destroy a rim on purpose with a hydraulic press, a steel rim will bend. An alloy rim will shatter. It's like comparing aluminum arrows to carbon arrows. Aluminum arrows can be bent. Some say an aluminum arrow is never truly straight after the first shot. A carbon arrow is either straight or broken. A bent carbon arrow doesn't exist. I doubt your alloy wheels are bent.

It sounds like you replaced one tire instead of a pair of tires. If so, the newer tire may not match well with the older tire. When I lost a factory Dunlop tire (sidewall blow out) @ 15,000 miles, I replaced it with two new tires. I still have an original factory Dunlop with 15,000 miles on it in my garage because of that incident.

I alluded to this in an earlier post, but I would question a single tire being added to the mix of the other three tires.
    I bought a second tire to replace the left rear just in case that was the case, but haven't gotten around to getting it done yet. Would the off-kilter feeling still be noticeable if I had under 5,000 miles on my other tires?