Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Front Fog light switch not working.

Country
    Israel
    Thanks

Exclamation Front Fog light switch not working.

Hey to everyone around.
    I have looked in the forum a bit to see similar threads without an answer to my question, maybe I missed something, so I appologize.
    I own a Mitsubishi Space Star/Mirage 2016 Instyle 1.2L equipped with factory Fog light.
    EDIT: The car manual from the Mitsubishi ownership says my model has FOG lights with p13w, and DRL lights as w5w (doesn't mentioned as parking light etc).

When I start my car (ignition) the Fog lights automatically turn on, when I turn also the headlights (the DRL turn on automatically with the headlights), the fog lights automatically turn off, they cannot work together, only seperately.

When I turn the switch on the left handle of the wheel to front fog lights "on" it just turning the rear fog lights on.
    I tried many things, saw youtube videos and also checked if there is any fuses or relays missing, but I have everything on.

My uncle has a Mitsubishi Attrage 2015 also equipped with factory Fog lights and his switch actually work with on and off front Fog lights while the headlights and DRL are on at the same time, everything seems smooth without any issues.

EDIT: In Israel all Mirage/Space Star models are sold already equipped with FOG lights and DRL.

Why my Mirage/Space Star has this annoying issue?
    Why the handle switch cannot control the front Fog lights?
    Is there something I miss, a connectivity issue, a rewiring of the handle to somewhere else?
    There are roads and foggy areas that needs fog lights and I must have these on, please help.
    Thanks.

Last edited by Shepardl; 07-30-2022 at 04:08 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just a couple questions to start. You say you tried many things, but lets get a little more info...
    1) Have they worked in the past??
    2) Have you checked / replaced the bulbs??
    3) Are you testing them with the headlights on & with the low beams on??
    4) do you have power & Ground to the connector
    5) And I have to ask... Does a 2016 Instyle actually come factory equipped with Fog Lights or are they using them as DRL's (sorry, but some salespeople think they are fog lights but the factory used them as DRL's in North America on many trim levels...)

Check into these while you wait for real people to help & let us know what you find...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Just a couple questions to start. You say you tried many things, but lets get a little more info...
    1) Have they worked in the past??
    2) Have you checked / replaced the bulbs??
    3) Are you testing them with the headlights on & with the low beams on??
    4) do you have power & Ground to the connector
    5) And I have to ask... Does a 2016 Instyle actually come factory equipped with Fog Lights or are they using them as DRL's (sorry, but some salespeople think they are fog lights but the factory used them as DRL's in North America on many trim levels...)

Check into these while you wait for real people to help & let us know what you find...
    I'm so sorry for not giving enough detail!
    Answers:
    1) Yes they always work, when I turn on the ignition they light up, but when I turn the headlights the fog light turns off. (in my manual it says the bottom lights are fog lights (p13w) and the DRL are w5w lights which are located near the headlights).
    2) Answered above (also I changed the bulbs too, they work, but the switch can't turn on or off).
    3) Yes I have tested them with all kinds of combinations.
    4) Yes.
    5) Yes in my country Israel they come as 2016 Instyle with factory equipped fog lights. (as I mentioned in answer 1, the DRL's are the w5w on my model and they are located near the headlight lamp).

Thanks for the questions and the time you gave!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shepardl View Post
    1) Yes they always work, when I turn on the ignition they light up, but when I turn the headlights the fog light turns off. (in my manual it says the bottom lights are fog lights (p13w) and the DRL are w5w lights which are located near the headlights).
    That's very interesting to hear, in canada the w5w near the headlight is part of the parking light system. its the first option when you turn the headlight switch and is wired to the yellow side bulb in the headlight and the parking light bulb within the brake light.

I never knew that they offered an independently wired parking light bulb in any market. Very interesting!

1. Does the fog light work with the parking lights on? or only no lights?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shepardl View Post
    I'm so sorry for not giving enough detail!
    Answers:
    Your description describes DRL operation, not fog light operation. Front fog lights only work with low beams on & the fog light switch operated. DRL's turn off when the head lights are turned on. According to this site https://www.cars-data.com/en/mitsubi.../70779/options the Intense does not have factory fog lights. Have they worked in the past, or is this a New To You car???

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-04-2022)

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    That's very interesting to hear, in canada the w5w near the headlight is part of the parking light system. its the first option when you turn the headlight switch and is wired to the yellow side bulb in the headlight and the parking light bulb within the brake light.

I never knew that they offered an independently wired parking light bulb in any market. Very interesting!_

1. Does the fog light work with the parking lights on? or only no lights?
    Yes it’s very interesting how the same car has so many different models in many countries! Adds a lot to the confusion, and annoyance of solving some modding and problems.

To your question:
    My Fog lights work only when the headlights off, they work automatically as you start the car, but when I turn on the headlights the Fogs automatically turns off.
    The switch doesn’t seem to work with them, the switch can only turn on the rear fog light.

Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Your description describes DRL operation, not fog light operation. Front fog lights only work with low beams on & the fog light switch operated. DRL's turn off when the head lights are turned on. According to this site https://www.cars-data.com/en/mitsubi.../70779/options the Intense does not have factory fog lights. Have they worked in the past, or is this a New To You car???
    Okay first of all my model is not Intense, it’s Instyle, second I have 1.2 engine not 1.0.
    Third, in Israel all models of Mirage/Space Star comes with Fog lights and DRL.
    Fourth, in my own manual and book of my car it is written that my p13w lights are called FOG lights not DRL’s, specifically for my model.

I didn’t quiet understand your last question but I will try to answer to my understanding:
    My car came with Fog lights and DRL factory installed, yes they have always worked since day one, but! The issue is I can’t control the on and off feature, they just light up automatically when I start the car engine, when I turn on the headlights the Fog Lights automatically turns off, I said ai tried many ways and anything from internet and YouTube to no avail.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Shepardl For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-04-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Oops sorry...I'll go back to the Garage now,,,
    Last edited by klroger; 07-31-2022 at 12:50 AM.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    The problem raised sounds similar to the ff. threads?

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-SE-fog-lights

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...the-fog-lights

I have compared the 2016 & 2019 owner's manual downloaded from the net and both shows the same setup:

Daytime running lamps: 13 W (P13W)
    Front fog lamps: 35 W (H8)
    Position Lamp: W5W

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    The problem raised sounds similar to the ff. threads?

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-SE-fog-lights

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...the-fog-lights

I have compared the 2016 & 2019 owner's manual downloaded from the net and both shows the same setup:

Daytime running lamps: 13 W (P13W)
    Front fog lamps: 35 W (H8)
    Position Lamp: W5W
    Thank you po.
    It does look similar to mine in these threads, still reading through the longer thread.
    I think the only solution that might work is to rewire the cables to the switch handle of the wheel.

And then sell this car and buy Toyota.
    Last edited by Shepardl; 07-31-2022 at 08:13 AM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    @ shepardel

Your first post is confusing at the least.
    What you call fog lights is exactly the same as what in Europe is called DRL's (daytime running lights).
    The way they work, how they go on and off, what they look like, all is exactly the same as what we call DRL.
    DRL are mandatory for all new cars in Europe since about 2010. There are no front fog lights on these cars here, because the possible place is occupied by the mandatory DRL's. The DRL's go on and off with the ignition, and also automatically turn off when headlights are on. There is no DRL on and off switch for operation by the driver.

The fog lights in Europe consists only of one red lamp on the left rear of the vehicle, built into the left rear tail light. Nothing else! The switch to it is a little "ring" on the stalk of the regular light switch to the left and forward of the steering wheel. That rear fog light will only then go on, when the regular night-time lights (headlights) are on. It can not be turned on without the headlights being on.

You wrote:
    I think the only solution that might work is to rewire the cables to the switch handle of the wheel.

I say:
    Why on earth rewire a properly and perfectly operating car?

You said: And then sell this car and buy Toyota.

I say: These are no less reliable and no less long lasting, but its your car and your money

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (07-31-2022),twister77 (08-03-2022)