Thread: Cat theft prevention idea's (for non-Mirage vehicles)

Country
    Aaland
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,608 Times in 2,426 Posts

Cat theft prevention idea's (for non-Mirage vehicles)

We got hit again at work last weekend. 3 different times in 2 days. They only managed to steal 2 cats from a Nissan Nv200 but attempted to steal 2 others from a 16' Silverado and a 17' ferd van. The chevy cats were still intact but they cut entirely through the pipe on one side. They cut both ends of the ferd cat but didn't cut through all the 3/8" chain I had welded around the cat and vehicle frame.

We have a lot of Nv200's and I don't want to be replacing these things every time we have nice weather. The dealer wanted over $6000 for the 2 cats that were stolen(I ordered some from rock auto for $600...).

I hate thieves and have zero compassion for them. Over the last week, I have heard a half dozen vehicles at other businesses in the area driving around with obviously missing cats. I do have a couple camera's setup at work but I didn't notice the notifications on my phone and nobody else did apparently....If I had of I'd call to pooh pooh and see if they'd bother showing up at 4 am...

In the meantime, I'm looking to boobytrap and/or make it pointless to try stealing cats from the fleet vehicles. I'd like to mount some older first gen ford airbags facing down under the ford cube vans. They seem to be the most commonly attacked vehicle in the lot.
    Another idea was gutting the bb's from a bunch of shotgun shells and making a nice noise maker. I'd like to rig up something that will stop or slow someone down considerably. I'm not looking to blow someone up but if someone were to be KO'd out from an airbag then I'd call that a win. Strangely enough, one of the 3 guys I caught on camera was wearing a helmet of some kind...

The Mirages are safe from thieves, so far...

I found a spool of cable that looks to be used for large overhead shop doors. So I wrapped a bunch of it around the new front cat that I just installed in the NV. I'm hoping cable is gonna be a pita to cut with a sawzall. I can't cut it with my bolt cutters, tin snips, or battery cable cutters.
    I wrapped it around the subframe/suspension cross member and tack welded it in a few spots hoping that'll be a bit of a deterrent. Hopefully, they don't go nuts with the sawzall and start cutting the steering rack and subframe in half lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dogs, lights, fences with razor wire.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.6 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    They do sell a cat shield for the NV200: https://www.getcatsecurity.com/c-nv200-19 otherwise maybe consider putting them on bags like this guy Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  36.9 KB
    or maybe you can just gut some mirages and use them as a replacement for the nv200?

I know the local truck rental place has a "random" security patrol come by at nights to try and deter cat theft...

Its common to wear a helmet not for safety but to hide your identity.

(insert straight piped nv200 meme here)
    Last edited by mohammad; 08-06-2022 at 11:54 PM.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

88coltturbo (08-08-2022),Fummins (08-07-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Dogs, lights, fences with razor wire.
    I've always been partial to the claymore mine. C4 and ball bearings all in a nice plastic container with instructions on it that say "this side toward enemy". I too have no sympathy for thieves.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-07-2022)