Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021-2021 mirage Alpine radio in 2019 ES swap

Country
    United States
    Thanks

2021-2021 mirage Alpine radio in 2019 ES swap

I am trying to swap in a 2021 Mirage radio (I believe all 2021-2022 come with the same Alpine radio?) so I can get carplay/android auto (and maybe even wireless carplay via USB adapter), and Sirius XM. I got a fairly good deal on the Radio I think at about $125, and I have the Sirius XM tuner, but I need to know what else I will need to make this work.

Looking up the FCC id I found a trove of info on the Alpine radio: https://fccid.io/A269ZUA161
    I also found a similar (same connector) usb adapter on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0761XSXNL

What will my base 2019 ES need? Are the two main plugs are compatible? I might have to adapt for the mic and gps and usb? I see another 2019 radio that physically looks like mine but I think it supports carplay and has all the extra required ports mine might not have?

I am a bit confused by how many radio variants there are and haven't opened the dash yet to see what's going on back there...

This page really confuses me because the bottom radio of the first post looks like mine and has all the required ports on it: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...in-2014-Mirage Are the pictures swapped between the back of the two radios or is mine like 100% plug and play?

I will make my own harness if need be, if this is required can anyone help with the pinout of the correct harness? Or at least years/model with compatible harness.

Also, is the mic on all these units mono?

2021-2022 Alpine Carplay/Android Auto SiriusXM Radio

Baisc old 2019 bluetooth radio

Last edited by Mirageman38; 08-15-2022 at 03:09 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Your best bet is just going to be to try it. I think most people who end up doing audio upgrades on their Mirage go for non-stock head units, so I'm not sure if you'll have any luck getting the actual answer from anyone - especially with a part as new as that.

All that being said, in my experience (in the States, 2018 model), Mitsubishi seems to include the same wiring harnesses in all trim levels of the car, and just does or doesn't actually plug stuff into either end depending. So, assuming you got the OEM radio part, I would expect it to just be plug-and-play. After all, that's pretty much the main reason to go OEM in the first place...

"Also, is the mic on all these units mono?"

I am struggling to think of any non-professional devices that don't have a mono mic... You only hold a phone to one ear, after all.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sure, but ebay/aliexpress seem to sell three wire "car phone" stereo mics so I want to make sure I order the right one. I definitely will try this on my own, but if anyone has any info it will be useful.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Thank you for confirming the 2021 Mirages have an Alpine head unit. I had the hardest time finding info about the model. Its pretty good but I hope you find an even better one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Thank you for confirming the 2021 Mirages have an Alpine head unit. I had the hardest time finding info about the model. Its pretty good but I hope you find an even better one.
    Why is this, is there problems with the Alpine radio?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Why is this, is there problems with the Alpine radio?
    No, I'd said they were pretty good considering it's in an econobox, but of course upgrades are out there, is all.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So I took the radio out today to see what I am working with and it seems fairly straightforward so far. I want to be non-destructive to the original cords and the new radio as much as possible.

Here is the FCC for basic 2019 radio like mine https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/UJHAR0M
    The main Metra style plug looks the same, antenna (obviously), and the square camera plug with factory adapter matches. Remaining is the USB which has changed.

I think I found a set of two adapters that could convert the 2021-2022 USB to prior year USB like the 2019 or standard usb if you don't have factory USB:
    https://www.amazon.com/Axxess-AX-TOY.../dp/B0761ZJVTM 2021-2022 JAE MX49 USB male -> USB Female
    Name:  femaleusb.jpg
Views: 1395
Size:  33.2 KB
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832642561544.html Prior year Female (not sure the name) -> Male USB

I believe this just leaves me with the GPS and MIC pinout (2021-2022 must comes with its own adapter?). Can anyone confirm the bellow 2021 info that the gps/mic go to which port (or know mic/gps pins), or even maybe a clear picture of the adapter? I will keep searching in the meantime while I wait for parts to come in. Also, does anyone know if GPS is a hard requirement for this radio? I doubt the mic will be hard to figure out on my own but the GPS I might need something to go on.

For the mic I am using a cheap aliexpress car mic and adapter.
    Here is the connector:
    The radio has port: JAE MX34016NF1
    connector needed: JAE MX34016SF1
    Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803979464495.html
    2021-2022 Radio:

Based on an ebay listing I see at least three cords for the gps? Not sure if this is all of them.

All in all, only about $30, for serial, usb adapters, the needed port, and a mic. About $40 for the XM tuner on ebay.

If anyone is looking, I see some cheap adapters to add backup cameras to the harness or mitsubishi radio on ebay:
    |

Just for knowledge sake does anyone know the three disconnected ports on the 2019 radio?
    2019 Basic Radio:

Older carplay radio which I guess comes with its own mic/gps adapter just for info. Here is the FCC page: https://fccid.io/2AE77DGU-6E14-N3

Here is a pic of cords on a 2019 with basic radio for reference. Camera port uses an adapter of some sort.
    Last edited by Mirageman38; 08-18-2022 at 08:42 PM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi only reported 29 cases of this issue? Hardly seems to even warrant an article, considering they've sold hundreds of thousands of these CUVs.

I wonder how many field reports Ford published for their Power Shift DCT Fiestas and Focuses? Lol.

I wouldn't be too concerned owning an Outlander Sport, not with that decade old, proven powertrain, especially if I trade it in between 100k to 150k miles like most Americans do.

Good find though AtomicPunk.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got the radio in today and installed it. I only have the MX49 to USB so I had to run the USB under the glovebox for now. Android auto and SiriusXM is working. Unit seems to work without GPS. Only thing not working is the mic.

It's going to take a while for the parts to come in from china to get the mic/gps working but I guess I will see if I can at least get the mic working when that happens.

The bezel must be a little different on the newer one but it doesn't look terrible.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In the meantime does anyone have the correct wiring diagram for a 2021 or 2022 carplay radio, or anyone with a 2021/2022 carplay radio who is able to share what pin the mic goes to with the adapter cable?

Here is a pic of how it looks. You can see the sides aren't as rounded as the original radio but it's not terrible. The whole thing looks pretty factory considering Mitsubishi logo and same orange lights.

Last edited by Mirageman38; 08-18-2022 at 08:40 PM.