Thread: Limp mode from Scangauge? (moved post)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Limp mode from Scangauge? (moved post)

Hi everyone, (moved this post to proper category) I'm a little spooked..I've had my 2015 mirage CVT for a few weeks, and was working on getting my Scangauge calibrated. Was out yesterday and the car randomly went into limp mode (TCS, ABS, CEL, etc all on and limited to 25mph)shortly after leaving a store. Was pretty freaky but was able to pull off and get the P1590 code (some computer comm error), and U0001 code (computer bus error) from the SG.

Looking around on the forum while I was pulled off the road, I saw people had issues with off-brand OBD2 connectors upsetting the car's sensitive computer, but saw nothing about Scangauge brand ones doing this.

I cleared the codes, unplugged the Scangauge, and went home 20 mi away with no issues.
    I'm afraid of using my SG now, due to the safety issues of a limp mode incident, and am surprised a name brand unit would cause my issue..or am I missing another possible cause of my limp mode issue? Just confused basically. Car runs fine

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I'm not an expert like others on here, but after reading all kinds of electrical issues with broken tail lights, switching from halogens to LEDs, and plug in scan gauges, I think it's fair to say these Mirages are highly sensitive to electrical upgrades or dongles period. Just keep anything electrical OEM is my 2 cents.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Bluejay (08-16-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluejay View Post
    ...I saw people had issues with off-brand OBD2 connectors upsetting the car's sensitive computer, but saw nothing about Scangauge brand ones doing this.
    I've had a ScanGauge plugged into my 2015 pretty much since it was new...and I've never had an issue. When you have multiple things reporting issues all at the same time like you have, that could indicate a possible wiring-related issue (maybe that's why you got a generic CAN bus error code). Drive without the ScanGauge for a week or so and see if the issue pops back up.

FYI...the only issue I have had with my ScanGauge is the crappy OBDII connector in the Mirage. My ScanGauge can't get a reliable connection through the factory connector any more. I've plugged a lot of stuff into my port trying different tools. Anyway, you can check this post for more info.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Bluejay (08-16-2022),MetroMPG (08-15-2022)

My anecdotal $0.02:

I've used ScanGauges (always connected all the time) in each of my 3 Mirages and haven't had any problems either.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Bluejay (08-16-2022),Top_Fuel (08-16-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll definitely focus on keeping all electrical OEM. Scangauge is unplugged and drove to work in the big city today and it did fine, thankfully.
    Top Fuel, thanks for the info on the low quality OBD connector..I had no idea. That might explain my SG always reporting bogus distance data even though the speed parameter was calibrated
    I seem to be the first to maybe have issues with a SG brand, or at least the first to post about it. At least I hope so...phantom electrical problems are my biggest fear with cars, so I hope it's fixed with me having the SG unplugged. I'll try and report back after more time. Thanks everyone for the replies

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

I have had tons of problems running expensive gps trackers that plugged into the obdII port. The company we bought them from told me they also had problems with Subaru's as well. When they acted up it was totally random, same lights came on(and 1590 communication code) and car would lose power. Typically at the worst possible time... I haven't had a problem with the connector itself(yet) but others haven't had a problem with their scangauge. There's a first for everything. Could be the settings or maybe they're built differently nowadays? Is there such a thing as a knock-off scan gauge?

First I'd confirm both of your brake lights bulbs are working correctly and nobody installed LED bulbs in them. One or 2 burnt brake lights can and will throw the same abs lights and make car act stupid at random.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Bluejay (08-19-2022),Top_Fuel (08-16-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluejay View Post
    ...thanks for the info on the low quality OBD connector..I had no idea. That might explain my SG always reporting bogus distance data even though the speed parameter was calibrated
    There were times when my ScanGauge either wouldn't power on or it would never display any data. That's when I started using that add-on plug. A tech support guy from a scan tool company gave me that idea. He said their system had a special note for mirage OBDII connectors being flaky sometimes.

Along the lines of what Fummins is talking about, this is sort of the unofficial list of things you want to look at first whenever a Mirage seems to be having wacky electrical issues:

1. Remove any device connected to the OBDII port...especially if it is a Bluetooth device
    2. If you have changed any light bulbs to LED or whatever, put the stock bulbs back in
    3. Verify that all brake lights AND the reverse lights are working (blown reverse light fuse has caused problems)
    4. Verify that no fuses are blown (check engine compartment AND interior fuse panels)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Bluejay (08-19-2022),Fummins (08-16-2022),MetroMPG (08-16-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Is there such a thing as a knock-off scan gauge?

First I'd confirm both of your brake lights bulbs are working correctly and nobody installed LED bulbs in them. One or 2 burnt brake lights can and will throw the same abs lights and make car act stupid at random.
    I got my Scangauge back in 2013 when I started modding my Toyota Echo (I was EchoBallin on ecomodder), so it's legit. And I know my brake lights are working but I'll verify that they're regular bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Along the lines of what Fummins is talking about, this is sort of the unofficial list of things you want to look at first whenever a Mirage seems to be having wacky electrical issues:

1. Remove any device connected to the OBDII port...especially if it is a Bluetooth device
    2. If you have changed any light bulbs to LED or whatever, put the stock bulbs back in
    3. Verify that all brake lights AND the reverse lights are working (blown reverse light fuse has caused problems)
    4. Verify that no fuses are blown (check engine compartment AND interior fuse panels)
    Ah, I didn't think of the reverse lights, and I'll check the fuses too. Thanks everyone!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluejay For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-18-2022)