Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any 3D printing fiends here?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB201 View Post
    I'd definitely take measurements before and after the sintering process, so that you can get the most precise turbine possible using 3d-printing. Don't forget turbo's have a very low tolerance, and I am afraid that the sintering processes might ruin those tolerances.

I'm following a youtube channel who has done this aswell (at home) but that didn't turn out really good, his parts are warped slightly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw9VF1V-Lzc
    that was a good watch. great actually. I have some of the stainless filament on order. I've decided to print & machine the turbo. seal surfaces must be pretty much flawless and bearing races too so I know of a small machine shop who will work reasonably to provide the finish. I never realized the actual speed of small turbos was so high. I'm trying to design for 8-10psi boost, that should be an honest 50% increase in hp. My concern is will the onboard computer recognize the proper fuel/oxygen mix and be able to dump in the extra needed fuel? I might need to fiddle with that computer adjustment thing you guys use. Oh, and I'm toying with cooling the charge some way.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    My concern is will the onboard computer recognize the proper fuel/oxygen mix and be able to dump in the extra needed fuel? I might need to fiddle with that computer adjustment thing you guys use. Oh, and I'm toying with cooling the charge some way.
    Some people on the forum have discussed modifying(software flashing) or buying the ECU used in other(poorer) markets that only uses the MAP sensor and does NOT have a MAF sensor as only having a MAP sensor to determine the A/F ratio (in conjunction with the exhaust o2 sensor) is suppose to be better for boosted engines as the MAF sensor will have a hard time determining air flow if the intake is pressurized.

I'd personally rather try and make/print the brackets needed to fit something like an AMR 500 supercharger which is very cheap on eBay(about $235 usd) in very good condition(under 10k km) instead of trying to manufacture my own turbo.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Funny you mention the AMR 500 as I was bouncing a supercharger for my first project vs. turbo. I'm really hoping to increase the hp, obs, but equal to that is proof of concept of using 3d printing for a precision performance project. Since I am an experienced TIG/MIG guy I can use those platforms to create all sorts of stuff turbo/super stuff but that flies in the face of 3d proof of concept. good thing is winter is coming and I'll have quite a few months to design/plan/fab/ I also want to attempt a small turboprop build.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Looks like I missed this thread when you started it. But, as Darin mentioned I do print a fair amount. As I type this I have 3 machines going in the background making products I sell. I have 5 machines in total. I print as much as I can in PLA, but also do a decent amount in ABS.

I have one business where I sell retro game console upgrades. There aren't too many products we sell, but they keep my printers fairly busy.

My newer business is focused on high end gaming products for professional gamers and streamers. Part of that business is lightweight replacement parts for gaming mice.

Of couse I also make a few automotive products for the Mirage and a few other vehicles.

Beyond that I use 3d printing for just about everything I can. Its so much easier for me to design something and let the printer make up a part rather than me going out to the garage for quite possibly hours as I try to fabricate something. Since my background is engineering, I use SolidWorks to do my design and I am quite fluent in it.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-12-2022)