Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Considering Another Mirage

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    Try again.
    I'm jealous, ours only has the red line in the front grill, not on the lower lip. Looks good! I didn't realize all the added black because we bought a black BE G4 lol.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I was having some weird issues with my CVT and the dealership performed a software update on it and its was like a different transmission after that.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I haul ass in my CVT Mirage. I'm rarely over 3k rpms even when merging and doing 70 plus mph.
    I was first alerted to the Mirage when I rented a 2014 in 2014. It was a top trim CVT and I was amazed how it hauled ass when pushed, especially after looking under the hood and seeing only 3 cylinders! Holy. I rented two actually, one had 40,000 km on the clock and had a bad noise in the front subframe when hitting train tracks and the other was brand new, 1100 km or so and it was tight and quiet being so new.

The mileage on my 1200 mile weekend trip was around 58mpg IMP. That convinced me this was a decent car, designed to cost little to run.

Anyhow, the only exceptional deal I found was a loaded 5 MT which sat in storage 2 years. It had 58 kms or so on the clock and it saw the first oil change after I drove it home about 550 kms. As luck had it, the motor was one with high oil consumption and piston slap but the car was totalled @44,000 kms so it was a non-event. My second was again new, very little on the clock, 5 MT but manual climate and lacking heated seats/mirrors/rear seat heat. I bought it anyhow and now have 74,000 kms on it (45,000 miles?) and it just passed the 5 yr. anniversary with me. Other than the mystery cracking of the windshield, which really peeves me to no end, it has performed flawlessly, eating the factory battery @33 months and otherwise being 1005 RELIABLE.

The only other Mirage I would consider now would be a non GT/G4 top spec 5 MT for $12,500 or less. I'd toss in another $1000 for a CVT if absolutely NO 5 MT existed. My neighbor a street over managed to get one of the last 2022 Sparks, it's an auto and her out the door she said was 12,150. Pretty darn good for a new car.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    The only other Mirage I would consider now would be a non GT/G4 top spec 5 MT for $12,500 or less. I'd toss in another $1000 for a CVT if absolutely NO 5 MT existed. My neighbor a street over managed to get one of the last 2022 Sparks, it's an auto and her out the door she said was 12,150. Pretty darn good for a new car.
    $12,150 OTD for a brand new Chevy Spark is an awesome deal, except that it's a Spark & not a Mirage!

That's less than $9,000 OTD in US funds.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-01-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "Businesses that should have floundered and died..."; like GM?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    $12,150 OTD for a brand new Chevy Spark is an awesome deal, except that it's a Spark & not a Mirage!

That's less than $9,000 OTD in US funds.
    Man if you go on the Spark subreddit, it is filled with owners complaining about cvt failure, I mean freaking filled! This blows my mind because it's a small, low powered, light weight vehicle like the Mirage. There's is absolutely no reason the Spark should have cvt issues unless GMKorea just doesn't know what they are doing. If read of owners already having issues with Hyundai and KIA's IVT (Korean CVT).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

mohammad (01-01-2023)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I was first alerted to the Mirage when I rented a 2014 in 2014. It was a top trim CVT and I was amazed how it hauled ass when pushed, especially after looking under the hood and seeing only 3 cylinders! Holy. I rented two actually, one had 40,000 km on the clock and had a bad noise in the front subframe when hitting train tracks and the other was brand new, 1100 km or so and it was tight and quiet being so new.

The mileage on my 1200 mile weekend trip was around 58mpg IMP. That convinced me this was a decent car, designed to cost little to run.

Anyhow, the only exceptional deal I found was a loaded 5 MT which sat in storage 2 years. It had 58 kms or so on the clock and it saw the first oil change after I drove it home about 550 kms. As luck had it, the motor was one with high oil consumption and piston slap but the car was totalled @44,000 kms so it was a non-event. My second was again new, very little on the clock, 5 MT but manual climate and lacking heated seats/mirrors/rear seat heat. I bought it anyhow and now have 74,000 kms on it (45,000 miles?) and it just passed the 5 yr. anniversary with me. Other than the mystery cracking of the windshield, which really peeves me to no end, it has performed flawlessly, eating the factory battery @33 months and otherwise being 1005 RELIABLE.

The way I drive, I'd consider myself lucky if I could get at least 175k miles out of it before the CVT explodes lol. Normal drivers would fair much better but 55mph isn't the norm down here. 70mph is though by far.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Man if you go on the Spark subreddit, it is filled with owners complaining about cvt failure, I mean freaking filled! This blows my mind because it's a small, low powered, light weight vehicle like the Mirage. There's is absolutely no reason the Spark should have cvt issues unless GMKorea just doesn't know what they are doing. If read of owners already having issues with Hyundai and KIA's IVT (Korean CVT).
    I know someone who has one. and hasn't had any issues in the few years he has owned his.
    But his brother has had 3 CVT's replaced under warrarnty.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    "Businesses that should have floundered and died..."; like GM?
    Ya, even though they shed Pontiac and Olds, Saturn , Hummer, they were still too fat.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Ya, even though they shed Pontiac and Olds, Saturn , Hummer, they were still too fat.
    Saturn was their only reliable brand too. I still see a lot of them on the roads all the time.