Thread: Transmission fluid change

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Transmission fluid change

So a bit over 60k miles today I did my first transmission fluid drop pan change and replaced both filters while at it. Around 4.25ish quarts came out, and the fluid was dark black. Some metal was observed near both magnets but nothing too insane.

I have tried to verify the fluid level is good now with the dipstick but as others have posted I am having an incredibly hard time reading the dipstick. There is no clear line near C or H. The whole stick is coated with *some* transmission fluid but nothing approaching a distinct line like the oil dipstick. Any advise?

I ordered a Fumoto valve for the transmission so I can start at least putting some new fluid in it more frequently. Everything seems to be shifting fine no noticeable difference yet.

Parts:
    Castrol TRANSMAX CVT Automatic Transmission Mitsubishi J4 compatible Fluid $4.04 A quart from Walmart when it was on sale: here is the current best price I could find https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-T...llon/641751153
    auxiliary filter Aliexpress under $5 if I remember (bought these at least a year back)
    Gasket and filter Aliexpress under $20 Similar listing also from Isance https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802131090683.html
    All in all not bad for under $45 and a couple hours figuring it out since I have never worked on a transmission

Last edited by Mirageman38; 08-27-2022 at 12:33 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

Mark (08-27-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The most common recommendation is just to measure the exact amount you get out and put that back in. Remember even if you somehow followed the exact steps to read the dipstick level, which requires "special" equipment to read the cvt fluid temperature. Its still very hard if not practically impossible to read. These instructions are available in my youtube video here: https://youtu.be/erlbDUi48Jk?t=1018.

Also remember that as shown in the video being in the H or C range is not good enough, its not like an oil dipstick. There is a very exact position on the dipstick the level should be at dependent on the temperature as shown in the youtube video at 17minutes 14 seconds.

Also mentioned in that video is the fact that i got approx 4.35L out and tried to put exactly that amount back in. I imagine dropping the pan should give everyone a consistent amount of fluid out. But using the pan drain plug would be more inconsistent as it depends on the vehicles angle(how its jacked up) and the angle of the ground(most garage floors slope toward a drain).

In my opinion i wouldn't bother with a fumoto valve for something you change this infrequently on a bolt this easy to access but you do you.

In theory if you are very scarred that you may have over/under filled it, you could put the car on a hoist or very level floor and open the drain plug. Then close it and according to the service manual you can put 2.64 quarts in as mentioned at about 5:25 on the youtube video linked above. And you would theoretically be at the correct level.
    Last edited by mohammad; 08-27-2022 at 03:28 AM.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

Mark (08-27-2022),Mirageman38 (08-27-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I like the fumoto so I can maybe slap in a new 2.64 quarts every other oil change or so, and then additionally drop the pan, do filters and clean magnets every 60k maybe. The issue isn't it being hard, it just makes less of a mess on the ground and my hands (even with gloves), and don't need to buy more crush washers, and more likely to actually do it in general. I wish the shroud was less of a pain to remove (aka not there at all) but c'est la vie.

Thanks for the video by the way, I actually watched it before doing this to make sure I was doing everything right, I didn't know you were the same person from the forum! I would probably not use the measuring bucket directly next time myself and instead transfer to it after using a larger drain pan to prevent spillage on the floor.

I only jacked up the front also, I am waiting on my other two jack stands to come in from Amazon. I'm not sure why Wallyworld and Harbor freight get beat by Amazon on the jack stand prices, you would think it shouldn't with shipping and all, but the double locking 3 ton big reds have been working for me. I guess walmart has some cheaper two tons, but I don't want to cheap out on safety and like the double locking. One of these days I might need to replace this POS supertech 2 ton trolly jack, and pickup a cheapo impact wrench from harbor freight with some of those torque limiting extenders. Getting stick of waiting two hours at wally world for my free tire rotations...

I did attempt to put the same amount back in but I would like to verify with the dipstick.
    Last edited by Mirageman38; 08-27-2022 at 05:35 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post

I did attempt to put the same amount back in but I would like to verify with the dipstick.
    You can use the CVTZ50 app(not tested by me) to see the CVT fluid temperature: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...CVT-)?p=143841 Once you have the temperature its simply a matter of finding level ground and following the instructions i put in my youtube video as mentioned above.

I plan on always dropping the pan when changing fluid and putting exactly the 4.35L back in and never thinking about or checking it. I wouldn't personally want to mess around with 4 jack stands and trying to level the car before opening the drain plug but you do you.

Thanks for watching my video!
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll add this on this thread instead of starting a new one, I have ~88k miles (144K km) on my 2014 mirage, I bought it at ~70k - 75k miles (117k - 120k km). I have no idea if the transmission oil was ever changed on the car. I was told that if the car hasn't had the transmission oil changed at 60k miles (95k km) or before, that changing the oil "would be catastrophic to the transmission". Is this true?

I did check the dipstick and the fluid is an amber, almost honeyed color.
    Last edited by Nifty_Biscuit; 10-10-2022 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Added Lengths in Kilometers for clarity

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifty_Biscuit View Post
    I'll add this on this thread instead of starting a new one, I have ~88k miles on my 2014 mirage, I bought it at ~70k - 75k miles. I have no idea if the transmission oil was ever changed on the car. I was told that if the car hasn't had the transmission oil changed at 60k or before, that changing the oil "would be catastrophic to the transmission". Is this true?

I did check the dipstick and the fluid is an amber, almost honeyed color.
    I did my first change at around 95k km(59k miles) I have no idea if the fluid was ever changed by the owner before me. My fluid also looked clean ish yellow like honey but thinner on the dipstick but came out very dark when drained as shown in my video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erlbDUi48Jk

Remember that the standard change of pulling the drain plug only changes like 30 ish percent of the fluid, its not like your changing all of it for new fluid. Also maybe at the very least change the paper cartridge filter.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Remember that the standard change of pulling the drain plug only changes like 30 ish percent of the fluid, its not like your changing all of it for new fluid.
    I was going to pull out the pan and change the filter inside as well, did you do that at 59k too?
    Last edited by Nifty_Biscuit; 10-10-2022 at 06:02 PM. Reason: I see now it was 95k KM not 95k Miles

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifty_Biscuit View Post
    I was going to pull out the pan and change the filter inside as well, did you do that at 95k too?
    i changed both filters at the same time at around 95k km, as shown in my youtube video i linked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erlbDUi48Jk