Thread: Difference in rolling resistance asphalt and concrete.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Difference in rolling resistance asphalt and concrete.

It's been a hot summer, and my Space Star is showing high economy numbers. I am used to see 25 to 26km/L on the highway @100km/h, when the weather is right.
    Last week I went to Belgium, and that opened a new dimension. On the outward journey I got in a traffic jam, which depressed the figures, but on my way back I got 28.4km/L. (About 100km Belgium and 25km Netherlands)

The main difference between the Dutch and Belgium highways is the the Dutch are made of Asphalt, and the Belgium are made of concrete. (And the roads in Belgium have some overdue maintenance, compared to the dutch.) So I wondered, concrete is harder than asphalt, so theoretically it could have a lesser rolling resistance. But could that give 10% difference?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Have you already considered other factors like A/C usage and overall altitude differences?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I had my A/C on. It was above 30°C outside, and my (auto) A/C was set to 24°C.

And altitude... Well, as a Dutchman I'm not used to take altitude into account. The Netherlands are flat. I'm used to it, but I've heard foreigners say things like: "Of course I knew the Netherlands were flat. But when I arrived here I realized that until now I didn't know what 'flat' actually means."
    OK, Flanders (the Dutch speaking part of Belgium) is a bit more hilly. I looked at an altitude map, and found that I on average decended 25m, (from sealevel+50 to sealevel+25 (yes I live high, for a Dutchman)) with two hills in between of a whopping sealevel+70m. I don't think that will give me a 10% gain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Space Wolf - This is a good topic. I've wondered about this. I always assumed it would do better on concrete due to the hardness.

In my scientific guesstimate, I would have to guess that the difference would be measurable. However, the 10% difference ... I think the largest portion of that would have been influenced with wind direction. I see a similar thing on a 140 mile drive to my dad's house. No explainable reason why I get better mileage because they are at the same elevations. And I drive the same speeds.

I'm not 100% certain about the wind influence, but that's my guess.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    A good question, maybe Metrompg could answer? Have you looked through Ecomodder.com?

My 1.0L Mirage usually gets around 3.8L/100km at 100kmh in summer (62mpg/US). It has LRR tyres (Conti EcoContact) at 3.0bar (45psi).