Thread: Uses for old J4 fluid?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Uses for old J4 fluid?

I recently revived some old vise grips and used J4 fluid on the rusty old threaded adjuster. Before it was so rusty I could barely turn it and now it feels as smooth as a brand new one. Now I’ve been using it to soak all of my rusty bolts from my truck while they await reinstallation. I have been wiping off all of the fluid before reinstalling but I think it helps to clean off the bolts and make everything slide off.

Does anybody else have uses for old CVT fluid? Am I wrong to use it on bolts I will be reinstalling? Are there any niche properties of the fluid that make it useful for certain things? It has way better lubricating properties that ATF +4 and imo smells way better.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I know some people use tranny fluid to clean off the pans they use to catch oil(for oil changes). Not sure how well j4 works for that.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

I mix it with coffee.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I mix it with coffee.
    I thought about using it as a perfume and calling it Eau de Jayco, but it would work well as a flavoring too. I’m going to mass produce your idea and sell it to the keto diet crowd. Finally, an oil that’s more expensive than MCT!

People don't know that they need something until you show it to them.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I definitely believe in properly lubricated food, bacon grease and butter is more my style but in a pinch....On a serious note it's just a lightweight oil so anything that 3 in 1 oil does would work, but I find it a bit dirtier than I like when used.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    One of our larger mechanic shops in town uses used motor oil to heat his building. His building was originally a Ford dealership.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-05-2022)