Thread: DRL's around the world

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Question DRL's around the world

Hello friends,

Some people on the forum have DRLs in the fog light position, i am considering adding additional drl for cosmetic purposes. I was wondering if someone could share with me how the fog light DRL wiring is done so i can see if i can run my jank thing the same way?

DRL on my car only turns on after the parking brake is lowered. Does anyone know why this is? Also does anyone know how i can mimic this with additional drl lights?

For anyone curious this is what im considering buying:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003735644309.html

Last edited by mohammad; 09-03-2022 at 03:53 AM.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    In many areas, DRL have been mandatory on new cars for the last decade or so.
    My Spacestar/Mirage was made with DRL.

I maintain various other cars for siblings, friends. etc. Most of these are quite old, and none had DRL's when new.
    When I convert a car to have DRL's, it must be conform with European laws and regulations!
    The DRL lights themselves must have R87 type approval, and the approval number must always be visible on the lens of the lamp for everybody to see. R87 ensures the lights have permissable brightness, light patters, etc.
    The place where the lights are mounted is als also regulated by law, the general "fog light" position is usually the best position.
    The function is also regulated. The DRL's must turn on and remain on together with the ignition. When parking lights or headlight, either high or low beams are turned on, the DRL's must immediately go dark.
    It is easy to make them turn on and off as law mandates. That is done like this: The "plus wire" of the DRL lights is connected to a +12V (or +24V on some other vehicles) source that follows the ignition. The "minus wire" is connected to the + wire going to the bulb of a parking light. There are special boxes with either three of five wires on sale for the same purpose.
    As said above, in Europe and most other parts of the world, this has to be done conform to laws and regulations. You have to get it right. If anything on the car is not done accordingly, the the car will not be identical to its type approval. Every car must be technically identical to the actual vehicle that was type approved, any alteration and your ass is grass. That means the insurance is instantly void, thus registration void, your licence also permanently void if you were driving it, or if you were the owner and somebody else was driving it, and that gets you in jail for sure.

On regulations, see:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp
    Last edited by foama; 09-03-2022 at 09:17 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-03-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Hello friends, DRL on my car only turns on after the parking brake is lowered. Does anyone know why this is?
    I think this is so you can run the engine for heat or AC without disturbing others, or parking places when you don't want to disclose your location & you need to run the HVAC to keep the windows from fogging up
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-03-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Hello friends,

Some people on the forum have DRLs in the fog light position, i am considering adding additional drl for cosmetic purposes. I was wondering if someone could share with me how the fog light DRL wiring is done so i can see if i can run my jank thing the same way?

DRL on my car only turns on after the parking brake is lowered. Does anyone know why this is? Also does anyone know how i can mimic this with additional drl lights?

For anyone curious this is what im considering buying:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003735644309.html

As far as DRLs turning off when in park, that is not unique to the Mirage. My 2015 Impala driver's education car's DRLs turn off when the car is put into park, & they come on automatically when put into drive.

My 2011 Forester (manual transmission) has DRLs, and they go off when the parking brake is applied. Since the Mirage is offered as a manual or CVT option, I could see that function operating the same on both. Whereas the Impala doesn't offer a manual option, & the function is controlled by shifting into drive.

As far as why? If you're working undercover & it's cold outside, you can run the car without the DRLs being on & that draws less attention to yourself. As you can tell, I have no clue why this is?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-03-2022)

Country
    France
    Thanks
    Hello Mohammed, hello guys,
    It is a weak contribution but I would like share with you anyway.
    I have this DRL bought on Aliexpress one year ago:

Name:  Drl AliExpress.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  93.3 KB
    Name:  Space Star foroum 02.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  97.4 KB

I do not think that they are R87 type approval or not but the car passed all check up and all police control without any issues. I have already done a big tour of Europe with his cheap DRL no problem.

The big advantage of those to me is that people think that it is electric car lol So called ecological cars are very very popular here.

See you around & have a nice day.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to spacestar67 For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-05-2022)