Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: And then there were 3 (U.S. new cars under 20k)

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    True, although I think it's fairly common to refer to a CVT as an automatic now days.
    Some people just need something to complain about. Most have no idea wtf is under the hood anyways.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (09-10-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Most have no idea wtf is under the hood anyways.
    I bet most dealership staff don't know if it's an auto or a CVT. I find it an insult (to me) to drive a CVT that "shifts." OEMs do this because most people who drive cars don't understand a CVT and may think there is something wrong with it (and take it back to the dealer) if it doesn't "shift." Those OEMs are correct (unfortunately). While probably 85%+ drive along in oblivious bliss, I'm annoyed to no end getting fake shifted on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-06-2022)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The Versa 5 speed is a pretty compelling honest inexpensive drivers car. I watched some YouTube vids of people driving them and they seem pretty decent. Pretty amazing that they have standard auto rear braking and emergency braking with pedestrian detection. The 2021 and earlier models even had standard push button start but it appears the 2022 model went back to a key, probably due to chip shortages. Now, finding one on a lot appears to be a futile exercise. If my Honda hybrid was totaled today, I’d try my damndest to find one of these unicorns, in electric blue.

I also applaud VW for still offering a stick in the base Jetta, as well as a mid level Sport model, in the 20-22k range, something even Honda abandoned. You can now only get a stick in the Civic hatchback Sport Touring model or the Si sedan, no low level models.
    Last edited by Carfreak09; 09-10-2022 at 12:40 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carfreak09 View Post

I also applaud VW for still offering a stick in the base Jetta, as well as a mid level Sport model, in the 20-22k range, something even Honda abandoned. You can now only get a stick in the Civic hatchback Sport Touring model or the Si sedan, no low level models.
    If I were jumping to the 20,000+ price range, I would pick the Corolla hatchback with a 6-speed manual. I don't see myself paying that much for a car, however. I would be searching the used market.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-10-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If I were jumping to the 20,000+ price range, I would pick the Corolla hatchback with a 6-speed manual. I don't see myself paying that much for a car, however. I would be searching the used market.
    Unfortunately, Toyota has cancelled the manual on the Corolla for 2023. Only the rally model GR has one now.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carfreak09 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-12-2022),mohammad (09-10-2022),precisionxt (09-28-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So, out of curiosity, I did an inventory search of the Chevy Spark and there are shockingly about 54 manual equipped models across the country and most of them are fully optioned! I’m talking 2LT with leather, heated seats and a sunroof! I even found a 1LT with the sunroof, which appears to be a unicorn. I figured there would maybe be a couple of 2LT with most being base LS but I was pleasantly surprised at the selection. This is so tempting because a sunroof equipped manual econo hatchback just doesn’t exist anymore…

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carfreak09 View Post
    So, out of curiosity, I did an inventory search of the Chevy Spark and there are shockingly about 54 manual equipped models across the country and most of them are fully optioned! I’m talking 2LT with leather, heated seats and a sunroof! I even found a 1LT with the sunroof, which appears to be a unicorn. I figured there would maybe be a couple of 2LT with most being base LS but I was pleasantly surprised at the selection. This is so tempting because a sunroof equipped manual econo hatchback just doesn’t exist anymore…
    Chevy offering the manual option across most trim levels is nice. Sadly, that's soon to become history, too!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Carfreak09 (09-22-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've (now) driven several vehicles with CVT - one being a 2019 CRV as my daily-driven-for-work. With a competent engine and decent programming, I really dont see the hate for CVT. Another such vehicle that I didnt have a problem with is the Nissan Maxima I just drove as a loaner. Gobs of power when needed, it was quiet at speed (2k rpm @ 75mph; 2.5k @ 90, I think).

Now I can't imagine driving the mirage with a CVT. Driving my 5speed and (normally) shifting at 3k or 4k RPMs, I would imagine driving a Mirage CVT the way I currently drive, the CVT would probably always be pegged at 4k or 5k until I hit whatever the speed limit is.

EDIT:
    I would have loved a Rio5 5spd. I drove a bare-bones (no AC; no PS) 2009 Rio 5spd and it was awesome.

I may risk driving the Rios vs the Versa. +1 on the comment above with Nissans being questionable.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Ares;145556] I would imagine driving a Mirage CVT the way I currently drive, the CVT would probably always be pegged at 4k or 5k until I hit whatever the speed limit is.

...You should probably...Drive better lmao. the only time my cvt mirage sees 4k+RPM is a short highway on ramp lol.
    Other then that there's zero reason to drive it around pegged out. It moves around at normal speeds fine, lighten up on that foot and save yourself some gas

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 45.5 mpg (US) ... 19.4 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I've (now) driven several vehicles with CVT - one being a 2019 CRV as my daily-driven-for-work. With a competent engine and decent programming, I really dont see the hate for CVT. Another such vehicle that I didnt have a problem with is the Nissan Maxima I just drove as a loaner. Gobs of power when needed, it was quiet at speed (2k rpm @ 75mph; 2.5k @ 90, I think).

Now I can't imagine driving the mirage with a CVT. Driving my 5speed and (normally) shifting at 3k or 4k RPMs, I would imagine driving a Mirage CVT the way I currently drive, the CVT would probably always be pegged at 4k or 5k until I hit whatever the speed limit is.

EDIT:
    I would have loved a Rio5 5spd. I drove a bare-bones (no AC; no PS) 2009 Rio 5spd and it was awesome.

I may risk driving the Rios vs the Versa. +1 on the comment above with Nissans being questionable.
    If I had to replace my 2011 Forester 2.5X manual with something new, it would not have a turbo or a CVT. Thus, Mazda or Toyota (only certain models) would be getting my money these days.

I wouldn't even bother to look at anything else. I would be comparing the CX-30, CX-5, and RAV4 base models most likely. The one with the least amount of crap on it would probably win!

Last edited by Mark; 09-23-2022 at 04:26 PM.