Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: And then there were 3 (U.S. new cars under 20k)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

And then there were 3 (U.S. new cars under 20k)

A quick story on the Last of the Mohicans.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/only-new-cars-less-20000

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    A quick story on the Last of the Mohicans.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/only-new-cars-less-20000
    If more people drove small economy cars, the world would be a better place. It's sad to see them disappear.

Given the current prices on cars (including the Mirage), I would buy a used Honda Fit with a manual transmission over anything else offered today.

If I weren't so darn practical, I would buy a used Mazda Miata with a manual transmission.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If more people drove small economy cars, the world would be a better place. It's sad to see them disappear.

Given the current prices on cars (including the Mirage), I would buy a used Honda Fit with a manual transmission over anything else offered today.

If I weren't so darn practical, I would buy a used Mazda Miata with a manual transmission.
    Nissan still offering that Versa 5 speed....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-06-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    But it's still a Nissan . Hard to feel confident on them when it not what they used to be.

Guess it better than any used expensive car

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It grinds my gears that they described the Mirage as having a "standard automatic transmission". It's a very confusing way to word it. It's a CVT! This article was either dumbed way down to be posted on a popular news out outlet OR was not written by a car guy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Bishi View Post
    It grinds my gears that they described the Mirage as having a "standard automatic transmission". It's a very confusing way to word it. It's a CVT! This article was either dumbed way down to be posted on a popular news out outlet OR was not written by a car guy.

True, although I think it's fairly common to refer to a CVT as an automatic now days. If it's programmed well with simulated shoft points and reliable (Honda, Toyota), most drivers won't know the difference.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-06-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    True, although I think it's fairly common to refer to a CVT as an automatic now days. If it's programmed well with simulated shoft points and reliable (Honda, Toyota), most drivers won't know the difference.
    While CVTs are common these days, calling it standard automatic might give the impression that it's an old school auto trans when it is not. But anyone who knows or cares about the difference will figure it out before they buy one. I just had a moment of pedantic rage. All in all it doesn't really matter, but it does sound weird to a car enthusiast.

True, although I think it's fairly common to refer to a CVT as an automatic now days.
    Some people just need something to complain about. Most have no idea wtf is under the hood anyways.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (09-10-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Most have no idea wtf is under the hood anyways.
    I bet most dealership staff don't know if it's an auto or a CVT. I find it an insult (to me) to drive a CVT that "shifts." OEMs do this because most people who drive cars don't understand a CVT and may think there is something wrong with it (and take it back to the dealer) if it doesn't "shift." Those OEMs are correct (unfortunately). While probably 85%+ drive along in oblivious bliss, I'm annoyed to no end getting fake shifted on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-06-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    If you ask me, a Versa 5 speed is legit. I would take that over a Mirage with CVT.

However, if I were forced (at gun point, because that's what it would take) to purchase a CVT with either a Versa or Mirage attached to it, I'd choose the Mirage. And then vomit. And then buy a horse.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)