Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: And then there were 3 (U.S. new cars under 20k)

  1. #1
    Senior Member AtomicPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    NOTW
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,128
    Thanks
    431
    Thanked 583 Times in 381 Posts

    And then there were 3 (U.S. new cars under 20k)

    A quick story on the Last of the Mohicans.

    https://www.foxnews.com/auto/only-new-cars-less-20000



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    SW, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    5,970
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 2,084 Times in 1,643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    A quick story on the Last of the Mohicans.

    https://www.foxnews.com/auto/only-new-cars-less-20000
    If more people drove small economy cars, the world would be a better place. It's sad to see them disappear.

    Given the current prices on cars (including the Mirage), I would buy a used Honda Fit with a manual transmission over anything else offered today.

    If I weren't so darn practical, I would buy a used Mazda Miata with a manual transmission.

  3. #3
    Senior Member AtomicPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    NOTW
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,128
    Thanks
    431
    Thanked 583 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If more people drove small economy cars, the world would be a better place. It's sad to see them disappear.

    Given the current prices on cars (including the Mirage), I would buy a used Honda Fit with a manual transmission over anything else offered today.

    If I weren't so darn practical, I would buy a used Mazda Miata with a manual transmission.
    Nissan still offering that Versa 5 speed....

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

    mohammad (09-06-2022)

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    297
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 73 Times in 47 Posts
    But it's still a Nissan . Hard to feel confident on them when it not what they used to be.

    Guess it better than any used expensive car

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 manual: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)


  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Location
    Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
    It grinds my gears that they described the Mirage as having a "standard automatic transmission". It's a very confusing way to word it. It's a CVT! This article was either dumbed way down to be posted on a popular news out outlet OR was not written by a car guy.

  7. #6
    Senior Member AtomicPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    NOTW
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,128
    Thanks
    431
    Thanked 583 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Bishi View Post
    It grinds my gears that they described the Mirage as having a "standard automatic transmission". It's a very confusing way to word it. It's a CVT! This article was either dumbed way down to be posted on a popular news out outlet OR was not written by a car guy.

    True, although I think it's fairly common to refer to a CVT as an automatic now days. If it's programmed well with simulated shoft points and reliable (Honda, Toyota), most drivers won't know the difference.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

    Fummins (09-06-2022)

  9. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Location
    Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    True, although I think it's fairly common to refer to a CVT as an automatic now days. If it's programmed well with simulated shoft points and reliable (Honda, Toyota), most drivers won't know the difference.
    While CVTs are common these days, calling it standard automatic might give the impression that it's an old school auto trans when it is not. But anyone who knows or cares about the difference will figure it out before they buy one. I just had a moment of pedantic rage. All in all it doesn't really matter, but it does sound weird to a car enthusiast.

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Atlanta Metro
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,937
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 769 Times in 561 Posts
    If you ask me, a Versa 5 speed is legit. I would take that over a Mirage with CVT.

    However, if I were forced (at gun point, because that's what it would take) to purchase a CVT with either a Versa or Mirage attached to it, I'd choose the Mirage. And then vomit. And then buy a horse.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)


  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    The Armpit of America
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    379
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 138 Times in 96 Posts
    The CVT isn't that bad! Even if it grenades at 101k miles, there seems to be so many insurance write offs, I see low mileage CVTs for $300 online.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)


  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

    Fummins (09-06-2022)

  13. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Atlanta Metro
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,937
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 769 Times in 561 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    The CVT isn't that bad! Even if it grenades at 101k miles, there seems to be so many insurance write offs, I see low mileage CVTs for $300 online.
    I know you're right. And yes, I exaggerate for drama due to the princess inside me. And it's not the CVT reliability (in the Mirage anyway) that concerns me. It's the driving satisfaction. I'm sure my dramatic-ass would get over it.


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •