Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Corolla GR Price Reveals!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I am with you usually about Toyota. Its reputation is well earned and it's always interesting to hear about your past experiences working with them vs Hyundai. However, I think getting rid of the Yaris and axing their economy division, Scion, is going to bite them in the azz in the future.
    Tis possible my friend. I think if they had a crystal ball, they would maybe have still axed Scion, but kept their poverty models. Maybe. Hard to predict what an auto company will do.

I think we can all agree here, that the numbers show millennials simply don't have the purchasing power their parents did back in the 80s and 90s, not even close. Toyota will eventually have less and less people that can afford a hybrid RAV4 or a Tundra. I hope one of the executives notices this and thinks to themselves "Why did we get rid of all our affordable vehicles?
    If an American Toyota official saw this thread, it would be some nerd bean counter, or some nerd lawyer that doesn't give a rip about anything but their next bonus. Or maybe some nerd engineer that would have little to no authority to do anything about it. If the right Japanese Toyota guy saw this, they'd get frustrated in short order reading Engrish.

40% of Americans can't afford our cheapest car now and that % is only going to continue to grow. What can we do to address this?"
    Voting conservatives into positions of authority, ones that believe in the FREE MARKET would be a start. Not the "jam stuff down your throat that WE say is good for you while we take our private jets to luxury resortland" MARKET. I'm fine with rich people flying in private jets to luxury resortland. But I resent those same rich people preaching down to me about making green choices and forcing me into green crap that I don't want, while they blow carbon into the air at levels I'll never come close to no matter what ICE vehicle I own.

Would it really be financially unfeasible at this point, for Toyota to have a TRULY entry level vehicle in their lineup? KIA and Hyundai can certainly afford it. Why not Toyota? I think its a bad call on their part.
    I agree with you there. I think it is probably due to a lack of a crystal ball that Toyota has not had or retained a poverty model.

Man, what I would give for Mitsubishi to license out the old Yaris and slap their badge on it like Pontiac did with the Toyota Matrix. That was probably the most reliable vehicle Pontiac ever put their name on lol.
    How about this, what if Toyota took over the Mirage, but focused on keeping it cheap and or cheaper. The price would still swell from Mark's historic low purchase(s), but it should still be the least expensive car on the market. Maybe it could quickly become Toyota's poverty model, put them back in that channel quickly, and possibly improve it some ... but of course, they'd have to retain a manual transmission or forget the whole thing. Retain the 3-cylinder pure ICE simple engine, develop a cheapo hybrid with no gobment incentives to buy, sell them based on their development and production costs and see what their take rates are.

I hope Tata and other EV vehicle manufacturers sell ZILLIONS of EVs in Kalifornia in the next 10 months. I predict next summer will be an eye opener.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (09-14-2022),davidricardo86 (09-14-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Somebody's still thinking straight at Toyota, and it's driving the green nazis crazy. Comply or else!

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/13/why-...in-on-evs.html

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Tis possible my friend. I think if they had a crystal ball, they would maybe have still axed Scion, but kept their poverty models. Maybe. Hard to predict what an auto company will do.

If an American Toyota official saw this thread, it would be some nerd bean counter, or some nerd lawyer that doesn't give a rip about anything but their next bonus. Or maybe some nerd engineer that would have little to no authority to do anything about it. If the right Japanese Toyota guy saw this, they'd get frustrated in short order reading Engrish.

Voting conservatives into positions of authority, ones that believe in the FREE MARKET would be a start. Not the "jam stuff down your throat that WE say is good for you while we take our private jets to luxury resortland" MARKET. I'm fine with rich people flying in private jets to luxury resortland. But I resent those same rich people preaching down to me about making green choices and forcing me into green crap that I don't want, while they blow carbon into the air at levels I'll never come close to no matter what ICE vehicle I own.

I agree with you there. I think it is probably due to a lack of a crystal ball that Toyota has not had or retained a poverty model.

How about this, what if Toyota took over the Mirage, but focused on keeping it cheap and or cheaper. The price would still swell from Mark's historic low purchase(s), but it should still be the least expensive car on the market. Maybe it could quickly become Toyota's poverty model, put them back in that channel quickly, and possibly improve it some ... but of course, they'd have to retain a manual transmission or forget the whole thing. Retain the 3-cylinder pure ICE simple engine, develop a cheapo hybrid with no gobment incentives to buy, sell them based on their development and production costs and see what their take rates are.

I hope Tata and other EV vehicle manufacturers sell ZILLIONS of EVs in Kalifornia in the next 10 months. I predict next summer will be an eye opener.
    I never thought EVs only was a viable option honestly. There's not enough lithium on our planet IMO to satisfy 10 billion energy consumers by year 2100. The Mirage has a smaller carbon foot print than a Prius, believe it or not.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Somebody's still thinking straight at Toyota, and it's driving the green nazis crazy. Comply or else!

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/13/why-...in-on-evs.html
    What happened to their Hydrogen technology? Nuclear power is the future, nothing else can compete with it and burn clean.

I believe EVs are the future but ICE will not go away overnight. ICE will become a niche for enthusiasts and collectors. EVs for the masses.

In other related news, I would like to see this come to production. A Toyota GR86 with the GR Corolla turbo inline-3! I'm sure it would sell like hotcakes but would take sales from the current boxer-4. Subaru probably wouldn't like that and prevent Toyota from bringing it to market.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/toyo...e-test-report/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    The Mirage has a smaller carbon foot print than a Prius, believe it or not.
    I most certainly agree with you there! I saw a documentary that said that producing the battery packs in EVs (and some hybrids) alone, releases more carbon than the entire production of ICE cars. That and the carbon released in generating electricity to charge electrics that EVs were actually worse for the environment than ICE cars. I don't know that factually, but that's what I heard on the documentary.

It's certainly a point to consider. I would have to believe our Mirages may be one of the greenest transport units in existence. Yet we will still have noses turned up at us tomorrow by Tata Model 3's (and whatever else EVs they make) owners that were driving QX80's and Hummer H2s yesterday...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-23-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What happened to their Hydrogen technology? Nuclear power is the future, nothing else can compete with it and burn clean.

The article talks about their hydrogen power cell investment. They seem to be taking a smart approach to this changeover, acknowledging not all markets are ready or will be ready for EV simultaneously. Yet they are still getting crap for not following the "only EV by 2030" crowd. Independent, creative thinking is verboten, even if you're still environmentally responsible.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I most certainly agree with you there! I saw a documentary that said that producing the battery packs in EVs (and some hybrids) alone, releases more carbon than the entire production of ICE cars. That and the carbon released in generating electricity to charge electrics that EVs were actually worse for the environment than ICE cars. I don't know that factually, but that's what I heard on the documentary.

It's certainly a point to consider. I would have to believe our Mirages may be one of the greenest transport units in existence. Yet we will still have noses turned up at us tomorrow by Tata Model 3's (and whatever else EVs they make) owners that were driving QX80's and Hummer H2s yesterday...
    Cheap hybrids will probably end up what happens in the 20 years IMO. I'm impressed with that $20k Ford Maverick hybrid. I think it's the best thing they've made since the Ford Probe.

Well guess I'll keep it going...

With the right equipment, you can capture free electricity from the sun and store it in a home battery. Then later, use it to charge your EV or sell it back to the grid for some passive income. I love this concept and would like to implement it into my dream home someday. You don't have to fully rely on "dirty coal" electricity. There's levels to this mang.

I also love that an EV does not emit poisonous/cancerous gasses into the nearby air I'm breathing. I experience this all the time with my dad's cars. He's got a 98 Toyota Sienna and a 91 Nissan Maxima and boy do those things stink when cold-started! I mean they smell noxious and obnoxious! I suspect wornout cats or those things just really need to heat up to start working (i hate to admit it but the Mirage smells the same when cold-started). But with an EV, all that is eliminated!

Easy peasy!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to davidricardo86 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-14-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    40% of Americans can't afford our cheapest car now and that % is only going to continue to grow. What can we do to address this?"
    This is easy.. We make financing easier to get, make the terms longer so the payments are lower & upsell add on paint protection etc,to make even more money because the upsell is only "another $6.50 / month.. they can't afford a $40,000.00 + car (or truck in most cases), but they can afford $375.00 + payments for Eleventeen hundred years... That's all a lot of people want to know... How much a Month

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-23-2022)